Menu

? about TOG geography Year2 Unit 4

Kim in SouthGa

we started last week, and I am not real happy with the geography. It seems I am going to need a historical atlas. Any suggestions, or websites I could use? Or should I just let them look off the teacher's key? Or just skip it all together? We already have our workbooks for this unit made up, but for the next unit we will definitely use SOTW maps instead.

Would love any advice.

Thanks

You might want to search the TOG Forums year 4 geography area for recommendations. The last time I did that Haywood's Atlas of World History was recommended, but since that book changes regularly, there were particular ISBN #'s to search for. That aside, I think you should determine what your goals are for geography & act on them. If you want your kids to obtain map skills, I think they need to search for places, points, etc. to label. If they simply copy the teacher's map, little to no active learning will take place. I have my kids (ages 7 - 13) sit at the table with me to do their map work. I give them each an atlas suitable to their age - pretty simplistic for my little guy so that he's not distracted by all the clutter. If a specific place that I deem is impt is not in his atlas, I point it out on another & show him where it would be on his atlas. If they're having particular difficulties, I give them clues/hints by using geographic language or guiding them verbally toward their target. That way they're active participants. Sometimes we spend time together searching for & identifing places on maps without creating a physical map even though the TM says we should do one. My goal at those times is familiarity. If you're using a classical approach, your kids will encounter the same info with increasing depth over time.

oh, I'm such an idiot! I did not even think to look in the Kingfisher or Usborne History Ency. This is how we have always done the SOTW maps. The SOTW maps just seemed easier, for some reason. I need to go back and look at them.

I looked at a historical atlas in Books A Million this morning and it was $40...I just can't spend this much more money on TOG right now. Is there a less expensive one anyone can recommend? I'm going to amazon right now to try to find a used one.

tia

For example, my older two dc knows how to research our sources at home to label the maps that I've been giving them. So when there are times that they're stuck or we don't happen to have a resource at home that can supply the answers, I let them copy it off the teacher's answer key.

HTH,

Anna