Menu

Money Matter for Teens vs. Financial Peace for the Next Generation

Are these two programs so similar that doing both would be redundant? Can someone please compare/contrast them for me? I'm trying to figure out which one would be a better fit for 15yods or if it's worth it to try to do both.

Thanks,

Karri

I have not used both programs, but I'm currently using Money Matters for Teens with my dd14. I find that it is a basic program that gives a very good introduction to personal finance. It includes information on banking, budgeting, short and long term savings, and loans. I plan to use Financial Peace with my dd when she is a senior. From what I've seen on the website, it covers more information and at a higher level than Money Matters.

My dds, 15yo and 18yo, are participating in Financial Peace University with us, and not taking the "next generation" course. It's perfectly understandable for them, and entertaining. I may get the NG course, but only because I love Dave Ramsey.

I've only used the DR course with my guys, although we own MM. My fellas are not avid readers, so DVDS are a blessing. The fact that Dave is so entertaining helps. I wouldn't give up those DVDS for anything. :D

Dave's course is a pretty mature course designed for young adults, even into the married years. While I know that my guys aren't going to need to understand life insurance for a few more years, I'm hoping the good info Dave relates will 'sleep' in their brain until needed. :rolleyes:

I should mention....we were finishing up the Financial Peace for the Next Generation at the same time we were studying 'The Merchant Of Venice.' All through TMOV, my son kept muttering Dave Ramsey would not be pleased. LOL We had a ball imagining how Dave would handle a call on his radio show from Bassino and Antonio. Then we progressed to Dr. Laura and Dr. Phil having a heart to heart with Portia. After Dave and the two Docs got through with his characters, I doubt if Shakespeare would have had a story.

I LOVE all things Dave! Of course, I think MM is Larry Burkett, and I really enjoyed his stuff as well. I just think Dave has such a great way of putting the info out there. My kids often sit in on some of his show when we're watching (he comes on every night now and dh is SO happy). He just makes plain sense!