Menu

Kindle Owner's Lending Library?

You might have missed my post in the Book a Week thread, but here's a list of the current books available. You can browse them (or at least browse the genres you like) and see if it's worth it to you. There are a few best sellers including The Hunger Games series, and some decent books from new authors but overall the choices are just so-so.

I'd recommend that anyone who has a Kindle and is a Prime member take a look and see if you can find some books that interest you. I wouldn't recommend anyone buy a Kindle or become a Prime member just  for the monthly loan. Still, that's a good price and it might not be a bad idea to have a Kindle if you or a family member likes to read ebooks. That's the model dh has and he likes it.

I'm a kindle owner and prime member, and other than Catching Fire and Mockingjay, I've never found anything I want to check out. Take a look at floridamom's link--nothing on the first 25 pages appealed to me (I stopped looking at that point). I've never heard of most of the choices.

I am always able to find something every month. And they have started the Kindle First program, where you get a choice of 4 selections of newly published books to pick one from. So essentially, you get TWO free books every month. Works for me.

I have the basic kindle and prime.  I never use prime for a book loan.  I do, however, use my local library all the time for ebooks to borrow.  You should see if your library is part of an ebook system.

I hate to admit how much I love my kindle because I also love my books.  But traveling with my kindle loaded up with a bunch of books is lighter then carrying all those books.

I like it, but I don't know that I'd specifically buy a Kindle to take advantage of it.

I though one could use it on a regular computer though with a free app. I could be wrong though.

You can use the Kindle app on a computer or tablet for reading Kindle books, as well as for borrowing Kindle books through your local library, but the lending library from amazon is only available on actual Kindles.

I ordered the$49 one, mostly because DD is getting into a lot of books for lit that are free/cheap on the Kindle, and having a device that she can read them on without getting pulled into apps, as on the iPad, seemed like a good idea. I figure I'll probably find something on KOLL each month-I like a light, easy read now and then. There are also quite a few publishers that have e-books for library lending that are only usable on a kindle when downloaded via USB, so I can't get them on the app.