Menu

How long do you allow screen time?

Screen time limits  

122 members have voted

1. 1. How long do you allow screen time (TV, video games) on weekdays?

• 1hr. or less
    • 1-2 hrs.
    • 2-3 hrs.
    • 3-4 hrs.
    • No limit
  2. 2. How long do you allow screen play (TV, video games) on weekends?

• 1hr. or less
    • 1-2 hrs.
    • 2-3 hrs.
    • 3-4 hrs.
    • No limit

I voted 1 or less for weekdays.

We don't generally watch TV at all on weekdays. Maybe 2x a month the kids watch a movie or a video- sometimes school related sometimes not. More when someone is sick or the weather prevents outdoor play, but that is a rare exception. 

I voted 2-3 for weekends. On weekends, we allow them to watch Saturday morning cartoons on PBS (lets us sleep in!) for a couple hours, but often they choose to do something else, especially when the weather is nice. We watch Nature together on Sunday evenings. 

DH does watch some sports on TV - Tennessee football and basketball, some golf, a game or two of the World Series, the Superbowl - so DS does watch some with him. DD isn't too interested in that. 

We don't have an ipad or smartphones. We do let them play games on our ipod when it's really helpful - waiting rooms, airports, the last couple hours of a long car trip etc.

When my kids were younger, we had strict limits.

When they were elementary age, no electronic media during the week, one film on DVD each weekend night.

Limits have relaxed since they got older.

Now they are almost 15 and 17, and I no longer regulate screen time, because it is not feasible to enforce: they use computers for school work, to communicate, to listen to music, and to play. They are old enough to self regulate.

For DS I just make sure that schoolwork is completed, regular exercise happens, time with friends happens, and that he goes to bed at a reasonable time.

DD will be leaving for college in the fall; I no longer regulate anything.

You know, every day is different. There is no screen time or gaming until all the schoolwork and chores are done. There are exception days. :) Sometimes we go a week with no TV, just because we are busy with a lot of other things. So, I kind of go with my gut. If the kids have been really good during school, and have done everything they have supposed to do that day, I let them have a good amount of screen time or whatever, until I sense it is too much for that day. 

So, I guess the answer would be, some days, nothing. Other days, it could be for hours. :p

I think there is no "right" answer.  It is going to vary wildly by family.  I am sure my kids get much too much by many family standards, but my kids are not adversely affected, we don't fight over it, the kids turn it off at the end of a show or when asked. (I realize this part might be unusual.)  I am still the gatekeeper and what they watch/play is approved by me or DH.  On week days, my kids get average 2 hours of tv a day (one hour in the morning, one in the afternoon) and 1-2 hours of computer or other platform games.  On weekends they often actually have less because we're all involved in family projects or out and about on family outings.  Our arrangement allows me time to manage other parts of my life (I work from home) and because they are watching/playing good stuff, it helps to inform their play and skill set rather than inhibit it.    I understand that screen time is not what some families need or desire, and some kids will be better off without, but I really, truly think that screen time is not necessarily the demon it is commonly made out to be. 

We're usually under an hour most days, but sometimes it's over, so I put 1-2 for both. DH works a weird rotating schedule so we don't really have weekends here. Just days when DH works (school days) and days when he doesn't (typically not school days). 

I don't regulate it. You get your school work done, you play sports and get outside, you hang with friends, you read with me for over an hour per day. What you do for your free time, whether Minecraft or age-appropriate TV, I feel is your decision.

I don't think you're being too harsh. 

But I also don't think that there is a "correct" amount of screen time that can be applied to every kid. I personally know of kids who go crazy with any amount of screen time, and other kids who seem to thrive with many hours of screen time. 

For our kids, our feeling is that no screen time before age 7, 1 hour a day from 7-12 ish and 2 hours a day after that is about right. In practice, it varies from one child to the next and one day to the next. Sometimes they aren't interested in television or computer games, other times they'd be glued to it all day if we let them. We tend to allow a bit of screen time if obligations have been met (school work and chores), and the kid isn't too tired, overexcited or behaving badly. We don't really cut off screen time as a punishment as such, but when the kids are acting up it tends to help to reduce their level of stimulation, so we do tend to end up not having screen time if they are already tired, grumpy or otherwise not functioning well. 

With out eldest (10yo) we have been experimenting with letting him self regulate, but it didn't always go well so we've gone back to restricting him when we think that's needed. 

Weekdays we watch This Old House, or a documentary about 3 times per week, about 30 minutes.  This is a nice relaxing thing with Dad.  2-3 days per week they will go the whole day without watching anything.  They play no video games.  I do allow a certain math game if we have a long car ride.  

Weekends we often watch a documentary on Saturday and Sunday afternoons.  If we see a new movie we are all interested in, we do that as well.  So weekends would be about 1.5 hours per day.

We got rid of our TV because we aren't as disciplined as you. We did it before he was born so there was no argument. Our computer is getting tired and when it goes it's getting replaced with a lap top that gets put away, rather than a desk top that is ALWAYS on. Eh hem husband. I'm not sure how we are going to deal with the whole documentaries are good for you thing. We might get a projector that's just for school. As it stands now we are a no TV, no movie household. It's easier.

Our t.v. stays off during the week, but they can earn 30 minutes of "Cool Math" on the computer.  We have a deal for Saturday mornings, though.  As long as they are quiet and don't wake us up, they can watch t.v.  It's incentive for them to let us sleep in. :)

We usually watch a movie Friday or Saturday night.  AND we have been known to have marathon movie weekends.  (We have been known to binge-watch Downton Abbey, for example.) 

No limit here. I was just talking to a parent IRL the other day about this. I figured out why I don't feel a need to during this conversation. My kids spend every available moment outside playing. They only watch tv after dark before bed for a bit or when the weather is bad. Plus they have to share with dh and I so when what we are watching doesn't interest them, they go upstairs and play. The other parent limited because her kids don't go outside and play, and the kids control the tv when it's on.

As for the computer, there is one. It has to be shared between 3 kids so in the time that they are in the house once you split that up 3 ways, it's not much time.

If every kid had their own tv and computer or they didn't go out and play as much as they do,then I might restrict, too. I'm so glad that I don't have to deal with that, though. Lol

I really like the advice (which I'm fairly certain came from SWB herself) to allow screen time only when *you* need it, not when the kids want/demand it. For me with all my littles, that means 20-30 minutes while I prep "real-not-leftover-or-from-a-box" dinners (and since cooking is a lost art around here, that only happens 2-3 times/ week on weekdays). And we throw a movie in on Sunday afternoons so DH and I can nap. Otherwise (unless we're dealing with sickness) there's no screen time.

And we have only rabbit ears (well, rabbit *ear* since someone-who-shall-remain-nameless broke the other ear), with no Internet or other screen options except my off-limits smartphone. It's been nice... The kids know nothing else, so there's no pestering for it. When I need a break, I kick them out of the house to play or require quiet reading time or naps.

Dd gets around forty minutes of "fun" screen time each day (two cartoons on Netflix in the morning while I drink my coffee and read the news, so it comes out to around forty minutes).  After lunch, she gets half an hour on the tablet computer to do something educational, like play checkers or Dragonbox.  And then we have a family movie Friday evenings.  Other than that, the tv is off.  

I thought about cutting it back to one morning cartoon, but dh thought that would be cruel. He's very much of the opinion that cartoons are necessary for a happy and fulfilled childhood.  :lol:

I couldn't answer the poll. I do put some limits on it, but not necessarily a specific amount of time.

During the week the kids are not allowed screen time during the day unless it's something school related (practicing math facts online, watching a video I've given them, etc.) Dh getting home signals the end of their school day, and they're pretty much free to do whatever they'd like with their free time at that point until bed.

On the weekends we're pretty lenient. We're often busy with activities outside of the house, and even when we're home the kids are expected to help us with household chores (we spend a good part of the weekend cleaning the house.) However, their free time is still pretty much their free time. If they've been in front of a screen for way too long I'll tell them it's time to take a break and have them do something else for a while, but yes, there are days where one kid is watching Netflix for hours while the other goes on a Minecraft binge. I've been especially lenient it on the weekends this winter because the weather has been so awful.

I don't regulate it. You get your school work done, you play sports and get outside, you hang with friends, you read with me for over an hour per day. What you do for your free time, whether Minecraft or age-appropriate TV, I feel is your decision.

I regulated in very early elementary. He is 9 now and I no longer regulate. If he got on and was there for hours, I would tell him to go find something else to do with himself, but he is pretty good about self-regulation.

I didn't vote, because we don't have specific limits (like 1 hr on weekdays or 3 hrs on weekends or whatever), but we watch very little TV other than documentaries & lectures (which I don't count as "screen time"). The kids are at the fencing club most weeknights, so they might watch an hour or so of TV if we're home by 8:00 or so. Occasionally we'll watch a movie on a weekend night, although they often prefer board games.

There are no restrictions on computer use other than no gaming or noneducational videos. Both kids use it for research all the time (most frequently heard comment in this house: "I don't know, but that's a great question — why don't you look it up?"); DS uses it daily for online classes/homework/quizzes; they both use it for email, writing, and note-taking; and DD likes to watch instructional videos on youtube (for things like Rainbow Loom, duct tape crafts, etc.). 

As for gaming, we have a few educational things on the iPad & Kindle, but they can only play noneducational games (like Angry Birds or Minecraft) when we're stuck waiting somewhere, like an airport or dentist's office. Other than that, no computer games unless they design & create them themselves.  :001_smile:

Weekday: Maybe a family movie in the evening, if your work isn't done you can go to a different room to finish it

Weekend: a couple/few family movies if we're home, but we're usually out of the house at random events and only manage 1 or 2

This is all just DVD or VHS. We have no tv channels, and our gaming systems haven't come out of the cupboard for over a year.

Weekdays we are a little different for us, we have two or three media days and they get probably 1-2 hours on those days, but is mostly restricted to educational shows/games anyway. The other two or three days of the week are screen-free. Weekends probably 3 hours is more accurate because DH tends to let me sleep in and puts on cartoons for the kids while he makes breakfast, and we let them watch cartoons for awhile so we can do some adult chores or spend some time talking uninterrupted. 

None of these times are strict limits, just general guides that we encourage and the kids are still young enough to accept 'no TV today' without too much whining, in part because they are used to it. As they get older I expect computer screen time will increase and I don't have any problem with that, so long as the time is constructive. I may place limits on 'minecraft time' or mindless game time, but I can see many many things computers are good for and see no reason to limit the constructive time spent on them. I'd rather teach the kids wise use of their time and moderation than set limits on something that I think can be very good. I know people have debated on here before that kids aren't capable of self-moderation, but both DH and I grew up in families who were heavily technology oriented, with limitless access to screens, and among the combined 12 children, only two really struggled with too much screen time.

This does not include the kids watching something DH or I am watching (like masterchef for example) or special family movies etc. 

I put no limit on both because it really depends on the opportunities they have to do it and that varies day to day. 

We don't do any screens before dinner in our house unless the weather is bad, especially on weekdays.  Weekends aren't such a big deal, but every day there are other things that take precedence (they love to be outside also; on the not-as-fun side for them, they also have responsibilities that have to be taken care of). On any given day they could play from 30 minutes to a few hours. 

Monday thru Thursday it is virtually non but I don't outright ban it I try to redirect and keep them busy other ways. I'd rather them be outside or something else they are happy to do.  The weekends they like to play the Kinect so that bumps up screen time to about 6 hours total  for Friday night-Sunday.

We use a token system. Each token is worth 15 minutes. The kids can earn up to 3 tokens (45 minutes a day) By drinking their water bottles (both kids are really bad about fluid intake, so I tied it to screen time! :) )

They can save up for a movie or whatever. Tokens can be used after school is done if it doesn't conflict with family time. All tokens are reset on Sunday.

A little complicated at the get go, but it seems to work. The kids also have to plan and save together if they want to watch a movie together.

I don't actually have specific limits in place. We are a low media use family but taking the time to set limits, keep track of how much they have watched or played etc is just not something I am going to do. It just depends what is going on in our life. If we are busy then naturally there is less media use. If we have more down time, then I am more likely to let them watch something.

On weekdays screen time is educational (Salsa, Liberty's Kids, Magic School Bus, a documentary, Stack the States, iTrace, Sumdog, Starfall).  The amount depends on the day.  Dd gets 10 minutes on iTrace and 20 on Sumdog on the average day.  But I guess it could all add up to an hour or even two if we watch a couple of the shows above.

On weekends we have Family Movie Night.  They also watch two episodes of Gummy Bears on Saturday mornings.  So 3hours?

I said 2 - 3 hours, for both weekends and weekdays, but that is not every day; some days there is none, or quite a bit less, but 3 hours seems to be my top limit, any day.  And all school work  has to be completed before any sort of electronics, even on weekends.  

no limit. But that ius always assuming all regular work/chores/activities/grooming/etc. are done.  AND attitude is good.

Some days can be a 6-hr binge, other days the screens never even get turned on.

I also allow texting/chatting/facebook while the girls are working, again, assuming work gets done well. SweetChild actually does better work with a TV show on in the backround- usually old DickVanDyke shows. I actually compared her work./tests- even in math! and she truly did better.  BabyBaby seems to be heading into gamer/computer geek/nerd territory.

Diamond- college freshman living at home, now has zero limits- and she manages her time very very well.

Screens during the week are a pretty big rarity here. That will change more as my kids are getting older though. We are starting to learn how to research things online now, so another year and it will be a daily thing. On the weekends I don't set a limit, but I make sure we have something planned somewhere so that they have to shut it down to leave. That works fine. Weekends are our time off mostly. Other than a little socializing with friends, I don't like limiting anything I don't have to limit on the weekend.

We don't have a time limit that we monitor, but if it's getting excessive for a few days in a row, I will limit.  The kids are allowed to ask for video games, watch a little Curious George, watch Raffi songs on youtube, or play Starfall.  Honestly, some days it's maybe an hour total, but other days, it's not even turned on.  In a given week, I think they maybe choose a screen activity only a couple times.  

If I'm sick of it, or they choose it several days in a row, I'll say "we're turning it off after this episode", or "we're only watching 2 more Raffi songs," but they self-limit pretty well.

I don't put a limit on screen time.  As long as they get their school and chores done they are free to spend their time as they please.  Today DS watched youtube videos for a couple hours before doing his schoolwork(DD slept).  He then worked on his bicycle with his sister until DH got home.  They fixed DS bike so he and DD could ride around (for about and hour or so) and have spent the past hour or two playing a game which they invented.  He'll end up playing Xbox with DH for a couple hours while DD listens to music in her room or plays with her cat.  Then in the late evening DS will watch Mythbusters (falling asleep 1/2 way through) and DD will watch some teeny bopper show in bed. Some days I think DS spends to much time in front of a screen but with the weather we've had and the fact that he has no friends here I'm a bit more lenient. This seems to work for us.  For the most part we are naturally introverted, liking our alone time.  DD is the slight exception to this often skyping with friends.  We don't have the problems many families have that leads to restricting screen time.  DD is diagnosed ADD but it is mild and there seems to be no difference if she spends the weekend vegging in front of the TV or not.

I couldn't answer the poll. I do put some limits on it, but not necessarily a specific amount of time.

During the week the kids are not allowed screen time during the day unless it's something school related (practicing math facts online, watching a video I've given them, etc.) Dh getting home signals the end of their school day, and they're pretty much free to do whatever they'd like with their free time at that point until bed.

On the weekends we're pretty lenient. We're often busy with activities outside of the house, and even when we're home the kids are expected to help us with household chores (we spend a good part of the weekend cleaning the house.) However, their free time is still pretty much their free time. If they've been in front of a screen for way too long I'll tell them it's time to take a break and have them do something else for a while, but yes, there are days where one kid is watching Netflix for hours while the other goes on a Minecraft binge. I've been especially lenient it on the weekends this winter because the weather has been so awful.

Pretty much these are what we do. 

They watch tv for an hour in the morning while everyone wakes up a little bit.

No computer until 4pm on weekdays, but only if school etc. is done.  We tried to do just "when school, etc. is done" but it was leading to rushing through things to get there sooner so a set time works better.

Can be lost for misbehaving, attitude, etc.

They now have swimming and Zumba two days a week so aren't home until 6pm, other days have activities on an occasional basis.

Computers are turned off at 7pm, and there will be a break for dinner between 4pm and 7pm.

They can watch tv until 9:30 but usually are doing other things with it on, barely paying attention to it.

On weekends, they can be on the computer from when they wake-up until noon, then they are off until at least 4pm.   We are trying to do more fun stuff on weekends out of the house but that probably won't get better until this winter is over.  We go to church Sunday morning so they usually don't get the time before noon.

I don't set times for tv as much because they hardly ever actually sit and watch it.

They are used to the routine now so get off right away when time is up and don't ask for it when it's not time yet.

I voted "no limit" in both categories, but there are mitigating circumstances.

Both of my kids have always been busy. They have things to do and places to be most afternoons and many evenings. So, while I don't limit my son's TV time (Although we have a game system, he has little interest in it unless friends are available.), the reality is that he doesn't have a lot of time to watch.

He spends most afternoons/evenings at the dance studio, usually from 2:00 or 3:00 until at least 9:00. On weekends, he often has choir rehearsals or performances, church and youth group meetings or dance conventions and competitions. On the rare week when he does have a Saturday free, I don't begrudge him the opportunity to be a couch potato for a few hours.

If I had a kid who couldn't seem to occupy himself without an electronic device or who regularly turned down other opportunities in order to watch TV, I would probably handle this differently.

Wanting some feedback....I only allow 1 hr. a day during the school week and 2 hrs. on the weekends.  It includes video games and TV.  What is a reasonable amount of time? Am I too harsh?  If I had my way they would be banned.   :hurray:

Your question can be viewed from many different perspective. The one I share here is my current reality.

I let my girls to direct their attention to whatever constructive subject that is in their mind. The past several weeks since they discovered

Minecraft and the associated opportunities to connect with other kids around the world.. well our home is very much like that they are on the computer every waken minute of the day.

This is a temporary situation while we are locked down at home while the frozen ground and snow covered areas that we often visit during the day are closed.

The screen time is a concern but we are equally motivated parents about giving my girls the opportunity to follow their bliss.

With creative parental input, this motivation to play Minecraft now has been upgraded to do programming. At age 7 & 8 it is a huge step but they get it!

So the question back to you is this: how creative are you to aid and direct the time spent front of the screen so it maximizes the child’s development?

Of course my question to you is all in the spirit of cooperation and not to challenge you. I’d hope that you challenge yourself,

because with a negative attitude towards technology, it will have a delaying effect on your children to learn or all together to stop them exploring

one o the most important field that will affect their future. (We like it or not IT effect every part of our lives.)

If you need help sorting things out about IT, feel free to ask people. The more specific questions you have, the better answers you’ll get. 

If you like to see a recent example what kids do when parents supporting them to learn about computers, check this out:

Was this of any help to you?