Menu

ITBS, CAT, Terra Nova, or SAT10?

mytwomonkeys

Which standardized test should I give my 4th grade son? The results will be for me & shared with his end-year evaluation. I'm having a difficult time deciphering the differences and benefits of each test. I would appreciate any feedback. TIA!

FWIW, I'm leaning toward the SAT10 - but want to make sure. I like that it's online and seems thorough.

Yes, if you want thorough, go with the SAT-10.  There likely will be some social studies and science questions that you haven't covered unless you're lockstep with national standards, so prepare him for that.  It is OK to not know the answer, and it is OK to not have a perfect paper.

We used the SAT-10 for years, and frankly I never was surprised at all by the results, but I have to do something for an end-of-year evaluation to be filed with the county. Testing is the easiest for me.  Some years I tested myself because I preferred to do it over several days on my own schedule, and then we moved to group testing for middle school and up so they had that experience. 

This year one of mine can use the SAT we're using for college, and the other will do the CAT-E at home because I want something streamlined this year amid my older one's SAT/AP/SAT II/CLEP tests.  In 2014-2015 both will be using college tests to meet the requirement -- hooray!  Frankly testing isn't something I'm happy about because it has never told me much at all, and the time and $ irritates me every year.  At least with the college tests, you have the possibility of scholarships and/or college credit. 

SAT-10 and ITBS are both thorough and well-respected. SAT-10 is more convenient now with the online option. The ITBS still requires someone with a BA/BS to administer it. The differences between them are so minor that I usually advise people to go with either whichever one is more convenient or whichever one is generally used in their state.