Menu

MEP? Any users?

My DD began with SM in 1st and part of 2nd. For the remainder of 2nd we have been using MM. She does okay with it but I constantly have to make extra practice worksheets. We have had to stop and revisit several lessons because it seems like it isn't sticking, even with the extra practice. Both DH and I have had taught and retaught many lessons and it seems like we aren't making much headway. I've seen various recommendations for MEP (Mathematics Enhancement Programme) and I like the look of it, it seems Singapore like and I know my DD is fond of logic puzzles. 

I'd like to hear from those that have used or currently use MEP. What did/do you like about it? If you don't use it anymore, how long did you use it? Finally, did you use MEP as a full curriculum or supplement?

I'd like to decide on a math curriculum this year and stick with it through the remainder of DDs education. For information purposes we left Singapore because we were planning to return to a private school in 3rd grade and wanted mathematics to follow more closely with American scope and sequence. I am also considering Saxon Intermediate 3 and I do realize that it is totally different than MEP. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

We have used MEP all levels up through 3B. It has been a very positive experience for us.

I personally never found my groove with Singapore and we just kept buying it and sending it back. MEP is a bit more discovery oriented than Singapore. It also spirals so it doesn't cover one concept to mastery and then move on. Instead it reviews throughout.

Last year I used it as our only math curriculum with one child (although we did add in Challenging Word Problems from Singapore also). We used the teacher manuals, and I thought it was very thorough. There is so much learning in the manuals that is not in the workbooks. So I encourage you, if you do use MEP as your main curriculum, to make sure you are teaching the lessons and not just using the workbooks.

This particular child, however, was not picking up his multiplication facts as quickly as they were being introduced. So I did add in another math curriculum this year to solidify his facts. I have another child who does not use MEP as the spine, so only uses the MEP workbooks.

We have been using Level 1 this year.  It's definitely a complete curriculum.  It does some things in an order uncommon in US math programs, so it can be hard to align exactly with the grade.  

It is very teacher-intensive, though.  The lessons are in the teacher's guide, and the student workbook is basically just practice... applying what's learned in the current lesson and review of past concepts.

We started with 2 and are finishing 3 this year. I used only MEP last year. Then my students split (one to MM), and I got BA for my ds this year. He has been alternating between the two, and I compress MEP somewhat by cutting down the problems he gets, and choosing which parts of the lesson plans we do together. At this rate, we will run out of BA next year, and then go with MEP full time again. Sounds more complicated when I write it all down. I also needed a little less teacher-time, because my younger dd is starting through Miquon and some days I had trouble keeping all the math moving.

I had to print a set of lesson plans and worksheets to flip through before I felt comfortable with how it worked.

I'm using MEP ... two kids in different parts of 3A (Lessons 20 and 69) and one in 2A (Lesson 61) today.  

I love MEP because: the logic problems, number sense, understanding of how numbers work together, the weaving of past and future ideas into current learning, the focus on knowing math intimately before learning standard algorithms, the patterning, the challenge to my kiddos.  I love how it teaches two digit subtraction. I love how it teaches multiplication and division.  I love that algebra won't be scary because they've thought about how it works since the beginning. I love balances, inequalities, order of operations.  It uses money, time, and metric measurement to teach how to figure place value.  Fractions, my verbal third grader isn't afraid of fractions because it teaches fractions with words first. It comes at teaching the same idea in different and interesting ways so the student practices over and over and over without realizing they're doing the same thing and getting bored. It doesn't hurt that it's free.  It's a beautiful, true, good program.

I don't like how teacher intensive it is ... but that's because I have to teach three lessons every day and it just takes time to do all the stuff I love.  I do think it is somewhat weak in story problems, although the story problems are supplemented by doing the problems in the teacher's manual.  We do supplement with Primary Challenge Math from Zaccarro. 

I think the teacher needs to be strong in math to teach it, the lesson plans are excellent, but there are some errors occasionally and I can easily see why people need more support from the teacher materials.  I was always good at math, but didn't love it.  I can now say that I love arithmetic.  I see patterns I see the arrangements I see the interconnectiveness that I never, ever saw before.

I have used from year one, with some reception year, up to year 5. I have been very happy with it. I have found some parts of it very repetitive for my children, and other points at which I did something else for a month or supplemented, but all in all, I have decided it's the best main curriculum I can find at present. I am very opinionated about math. I like the logical progression of thought, and I think the way that this is built in is very clever. It is not gorgeous to look at, and I find occasional errors, but it makes sense to me. I know some people find it weird or confusing, so that's why I mention that. 

I have used from year one, with some reception year, up to year 5. I have been very happy with it. I have found some parts of it very repetitive for my children, and other points at which I did something else for a month or supplemented, but all in all, I have decided it's the best main curriculum I can find at present. I am very opinionated about math. I like the logical progression of thought, and I think the way that this is built in is very clever. It is not gorgeous to look at, and I find occasional errors, but it makes sense to me. I know some people find it weird or confusing, so that's why I mention that. 

Stripe, I've been meaning to ask you where you plan to go after you finish 6.  I'm confused about the progression in Years 7-9 and then the secondary program?  Any pointers? OP, sorry for the hijack.

Stripe, I've been meaning to ask you where you plan to go after you finish 6.  I'm confused about the progression in Years 7-9 and then the secondary program?  Any pointers? OP, sorry for the hijack.

I am not sure yet! I just started y5, but I can't decide because I like the way some of y7-9 looks, despite being warned that it's repetitive. I have been meaning to sit down with it in more detail. I have a copy of Mathematics: A Human Endeavor that looks very interesting, too. I am sort of waiting to figure this out. Sorry I can't be of more help. 

I am not sure yet! I just started y5, but I can't decide because I like the way some of y7-9 looks, despite being warned that it's repetitive. I have been meaning to sit down with it in more detail. I have a copy of Mathematics: A Human Endeavor that looks very interesting, too. I am sort of waiting to figure this out. Sorry I can't be of more help. 

Well, at least you're ahead of me, I'll just wait till you figure out what you want to do.

I must admit that AOPS and some of the other Middle Grade options look enticing.

Thanks!

Well, at least you're ahead of me, I'll just wait till you figure out what you want to do.

I must admit that AOPS and some of the other Middle Grade options look enticing.

That is so sweet of you to say. Honestly, I am having that sort of a day.

I think middle school math is one big vat of untapped potential. It seems there's so much to do!

That is so sweet of you to say. Honestly, I am having that sort of a day.

I think middle school math is one big vat of untapped potential. It seems there's so much to do!

Sorry you're having a bad day.  Ours didn't go particularly happily either. [sigh]

I like how MEP teaches concepts using small numbers. It makes it look overly simple, but it's very rich.

One example problem in Year 1 is:  10-3 > x > 2+3 and the student finds x.

I started my second grader in Year 1b so we could have a firm foundation. Year 2 ramps it up. The progression is so different from traditional sequence, but since it is all available online, I could look ahead to see how it comes together. It is the only curriculum I could find that inspired me, and it treats math like a language of logic. It's not for everyone though. I supplement with word problems and XtraMath.

Perfectly alright, it would be the kind of info that I would be interested in hearing should we choose to go this route!

I like how MEP teaches concepts using small numbers. It makes it look overly simple, but it's very rich.

One example problem in Year 1 is:  10-3 > x > 2+3 and the student finds x.

I started my second grader in Year 1b so we could have a firm foundation. Year 2 ramps it up. The progression is so different from traditional sequence, but since it is all available online, I could look ahead to see how it comes together. It is the only curriculum I could find that inspired me, and it treats math like a language of logic. It's not for everyone though. I supplement with word problems and XtraMath.

I love how "algebraic" it looks. 

We use MEP for our math lessons.  My oldest is currently in 3B, my youngest in 1B.   I like the rotation through topics and repeated practice of concepts already introduced.  I like the early introduction of advanced topics – my children do not question solving for x (or a or b), negative numbers do not scare them.   I also like that children are encouraged to use logic rather than formula to solve problems.   There is no on one right way and children are to be praised for creative thinking.

It is teacher-intensive, especially so in the first year or two.  I expect that of an elementary math program and do not see this as a flaw.  The worksheet is review and reinforcement of topics taught using the lesson plans. 

I made the jump and had it printed and bound yesterday at Office Depot, it came out great and only cost me $25. We are starting at Y1, which I imagine will progress rather quickly since she is comfortable with K through late second math. My goal is to get us all comfortable with the methods and go on from there. I also think supplementing word problems is a must in my situation.

Thanks to everyone that posted! I feel much better about jumping in....

ladydusk and stripe - hope today is better than yesterday  :thumbup1: