Menu

Math Sequence for HS

HS Math Sequence  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What sequence do you follow for high school?

• "Traditional"- Alg. 1, Geometry, Alg. 2, etc..
    • "Non Traditional"- Alg. 1, Alg. 2, Geometry, etc...
    • Integrated
    • Obligatory "Other"

DD did the more traditional sequence, which I always thought was kind of silly, but I'm not a math person, so I just went with the flow. But...DS's tutor is recommending we follow Algebra 1 with Algebra 2, then Geometry. I'm getting some resistance from my charter school as to my request to change the sequence. However, they are usually pretty accomodating, but before I push the issue, I want to research it a little more. So, what do you guys think?

I voted the "obligatory other" as I felt obliged to do so.  lol   We used integrated math textbooks, Saxon, but inserted a year of formal geometry between Algebra 1 and 2.  So it was both integrated and traditional. 

In your situation, I would go with the suggestion of whoever will be teaching your son.  If the tutor is teaching, I'd follow their advice as I'm sure they'll incorporate algebra review so your son doesn't have any trouble transitioning to pre-calculus, if that's the plan.  If the course will be taken at the charter school, then I would follow their suggestion of the traditional sequencing.  I'd get some clear understanding from your tutor why the other order is preferred for your son, and if convincing, I would talk with the charter school about those concerns and advocate for whatever is best for your son.  Clear as mud?  lol

In general I would go with the way the curriculum is intended to be used, unless you are changing curricula each time. There are two big reasons it might matter.

1) If the curriculum intends you to do alg 2 before geometry, some geometry topics may require alg 2 instead of alg 1. However, if the curriculum intends you to do geometry before alg 2, and you do alg 2 first, you may run the risk of some alg 2 skills fading due to lack of review.

2) It is a good idea to make sure that geometry is done before standardized testing for college admittance. This is of much less concern to accelerated students, but geometry in 11th may cause standardized test scores taken before 12th grade to be lower than otherwise due to lack of geometry knowledge.

For my #2 I will go with Algebra II before Geometry because so many science classes have Algebra II as a pre-requisite.  This will allow him to go on with science in 9th grade (he is currently in 8th and doing physics) and still have geometry in time for the SAT.  My daughter will be in 6th grade next year and already said she would prefer integrated math.  With my youngest son I think we will follow the traditional sequence.

I answered integrated, but it is really a hybrid. We have done Alg 1 in 8th, then combined Alg 2 and geometry by alternating lessons and completing them both over 9th and 10th grades. It has worked very, very well for us as dd could continually keep both fresh. Now we are going to start working on the math sections of the SAT from practice tests 1x per week while she does precalc. Had we done Alg 2 after geometry, she'd have forgotten nearly all of her geometry. She does very well with algebra but has struggled mightily with geometry. Having the alternating schedule provided a nice balance for her.

Are you using a curriculum provided by the charter? If so, go with the sequence recommended by the curriculum. 

Do your ds's tutor want you to use a curriculum that recommends a different sequence. Look at what the particular curriculum expects and go with that sequence. If you get to choose your own curriculum just explain to the charter that ABC curriculum follows xxxxx alternative sequence. 

The reason the tutor suggested going with Alg. 2 next, was to keep Algebra fresh as ds moves deeper into it so there's no gap between the two and none of that supposed forgetting that happens with that geometry year. While I understand the concept behind that, I am concerned that he will not be mature enough for the more advanced concepts of Alg. 2. He's a decent math student, good at some kinds of logic, but not accelerated by any means, and sometimes he has a hard time remembering things. He will most likely not continue with upper level math after 11th grade anyways. I'm not limiting him, it's just something I don't foresee him pursuing on his own and given the college route he will most likely go, nothing higher than Alg. 2 is needed. Plus, I like to use the fourth year of math to do consumer math, accounting, or entrepreneurship skills.

I can use whatever text I want. I go with the Prentice Hall because it's readily available to me, it comes with parent/student support, and is mastery. According to Prentice Hall's customer service there's no real scope and sequence for the math after Algebra 1. The charter school just defaults to the traditional sequence because it's traditional. Like I said, they’re usually pretty open to a parent's reasoning for doing things out of sequence, but before I decide that's what I want to do and contact the admin, I want to have my facts and my reasoning straight. While I trust the tutor, I'm not going to necessarily do something because one person recommends it- I like to examine all points of view.

I have three boys.  The first did Alg 1, Alg 2, Geometry.  The other two did Alg 1, Geometry, Alg 2.  I saw no discernable difference and don't feel it matters for most students which way it is done.  If they truly learned the material, they know what they are doing.  While they may (or may not) be a little rusty, it should come back quite easily.  If they memorized the material, it'll be tough to use it later even with "just" a summer off.

Before the PSAT/SAT/ACT, I recommend reviewing no matter which way one chooses.

I'm not limiting him, it's just something I don't foresee him pursuing on his own and given the college route he will most likely go, nothing higher than Alg. 2 is needed. Plus, I like to use the fourth year of math to do consumer math, accounting, or entrepreneurship skills.

Do double check this as many college majors requires completion of either College Algebra or an Integrated College Math both of which typically require Algebra 2 as a prerequisite.  If such will be the case for him, you may wish to use that fourth year of math to move beyond Algebra 2 to ensure that his upper level math skills are fresh when he gets to college.

Regards,

Kareni

The reason the tutor suggested going with Alg. 2 next, was to keep Algebra fresh as ds moves deeper into it so there's no gap between the two and none of that supposed forgetting that happens with that geometry year. 

Most Algebra 2 books expect a gap year in between and have a great deal of review, some at the beginning and more built into each topic to make up for the gap. On the other hand, if he should decide to take Pre-Calc later, they do not provide that kind of review, typically expecting students to have come directly from Algebra 2.

Also, if you are concerned about him being prepared for Algebra 2, I would visit again with your tutor and see if they are ok with doing Geometry first. I think he fact that some students aren't ready is precisely the reason Geometry got stuck in the middle in the first place. It isn't an issue for those who are great at math, but for some kids who are just trying to get through the requirements, it can be more important.

Do double check this as many college majors requires completion of either College Algebra or an Integrated College Math both of which typically require Algebra 2 as a prerequisite.  If such will be the case for him, you may wish to use that fourth year of math to move beyond Algebra 2 to ensure that his upper level math skills are fresh when he gets to college.

Regards,

Kareni

Yep.

An option, btw, could be (if he knows where he's going) to take college algebra/math for liberal arts/stats as dual enrollment (whichever one will transfer to where he's going) as a senior. He will have his math credit already finished at college while it is fresh in his mind.

Thank you everyone for the feedback, I really appreciate it

The CC where he'll be going won't require higher than the 3 years of the algebra/geometry sequence. We don't do dual enrollment-it's a big pain in the a$$ around here and not worth the trouble. If he wants to graduate after 3.5 years, he'll have that option and just enroll at the CC as a freshman. With dd they saw she took alg. 2 and bypassed her straight into Stats which, is what he would most likely need to get his degree. The only thing I will try to have him do is take stats the first year instead of in the second-something which dd is now regretting.

I have done both ways. Dd completed the algebra back to back with algebra review while completing geometry. Our middle boy also followed this schedule. Eldest boy was very excited about digging his teeth into geometry. I still required algebra review . no matter what, I am not comfortable with an entire year off from the more difficult algebraic topics.

Youngest boy is completing algebra 2 and geometry concurrently.