Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW10

Robin M

My dd and I watched the Canada Reads debate on TV this week.  I thought I would leave a link if anyone is interested in checking it out.   Canada Reads is a week-long literary debate to promote reading, as well as Canadian literature.   I think these yearly debates have been taking place for the last 12 years.  I have only been aware of them for the past 3.   This year the debates were very intense.   There are 5 books championed by 5 people.  These books do not just have to be recent books, either, there  have been classics on the lists of years past as well.  This year's  books were:  

Cockroach  by Rawi Hawge

Annabel by Kathleen Winters

The Orenda by Joseph Boyden

Half Blood Blues  by Esi Edugyen

The Year of the Flood  by Margaret Atwood

The Orenda  was this year's  winner.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a hard time with audio books in general. I find my mind actively and regularly wandering in a way it doesn't when I'm reading.

I seem to do better with audio books.  I can't skim through parts that don't hold my attention.

It was an Amazon day :hurray: Four Mary Stewart titles and SWB's, History of the Ancient World. One of them will be coming to kathak class with me tonight. Out the door we go soon. Time to make car dinner... :driving:

Thus, I'm looking at SWB's audio book History of The Medieval World for one of my Christmas presents from Santa next year.  (Yes, I already started planning Christmas.  LOL)

We are back from our adventure in the frozen north. The dc's and I went for a walk on frozen Lake Michigan. It was fun--I haven't done it since high school. Good thing ds is strong or I would still be struggling up the huge banks of snow. :lol:

Thanks to the plane journey I managed to read a bit.

Remembering the Night by Stephanie Doyle

Her Kind of Trouble by Sarah Mayberry Australian setting

Havana Lost by Libby Fischer Hellmann Cuba, Angola, and Chicago for settings. This book was not great but I did enjoy it. I found the parts about pre Castro Cuba fascinating. I got it through Amazon Prime since that has been discussed here recently.

Dust by Patricia Cornwall, the latest Scarpetta series book. Taking into account several of the recent ones in this series have been pretty dreadful this one was a decent read. It was much more succinct with less extraneous information than several of the recent ones in the series. A bit more like the first 10 or so in the series.

Mulling over Top of the Class some more. I wonder if these two women (the authors are sisters) have even heard of homeschooling. Not once did they mention it. They had whole chapters devoted to how to be a team with your child's teachers and how to be involved with the school as much as you can.  They stress the importance of how it's the parents' responsibility to ensure that the children are getting a strong education and all the support/help they need. They discussed how their parents after schooled them, and promoted that in their book as a way to strengthen and deepen a child's education.

So I find it interesting that they never mentioned taking it a step further by homeschooling. Perhaps it's cultural. In Asian countries, they mentioned, that teachers hold a high status of respect in society. Perhaps, the authors feel as if children must go to school and be taught by the "experts". I don't know. I just found myself pondering why homeschooling was never brought up as an option. They mentioned sacrificing by living in a smaller house/apartment in order to live in a better school district if necessary. They mentioned how a parent cutting back on work hours and non-family commitments/hobbies is a must if your child needs help/support/guidance/supervision in order to do well in school. They mentioned that a parent's career should take a back seat to the child's education. They stated that their mother postponed her goals of college and career in order to stay home so she'd always be available to her daughters. But not one word of homeschooling....at least once the child was grade school age.

Anyway, moving on. I have an announcement to make. Drumroll........

I just abandoned my first book of this year! Applause, applause. This is huge for me because I normally have a problem putting down a book I'm not enjoying. I feel like I'm a failure. You great women have helped me get over that.

Last night I started The Art of Racing in the Rain and it was just painful for me. Just blech. Yuck. Suckiest suck suck book I've picked up in a long time. I put it down deciding to give myself a few minutes.

I picked up The Novel Cure and just happened to see the "affliction" of being unable to stop reading a book you don't like. The "cure" was to put the book down and rid yourself of the guilt. That plus the voices (that I make up for each of you) in my head telling me it's okay to not finish a book convinced me to not pick up The Art of Racing in the Rain again.

Big happy sigh.

Cause that book was making me want to scratch my eyes out.

Finished Hollow City.

Speaking of audio books...I've been listening to The Goldfinch. I got it with one of my Audible credits. I figured that was good bang for my buck with a book that big. ;) I've been on the waiting list for it for months from the library so figured I'd just start listening to it.

I'm finding myself immersed. I listen while I'm doing dishes, ironing, driving my son to classes, etc.

I'm also starting The Unbearable Lightness of Being. It's due back at library soon so I need to get to it!

Hey, sister BaWers, I found this new-to-me site, a small publishing house called Other Press with a wide variety of books. Their eclectic section on psychoanalysis alone is worth the visit. Add into that sections on 'family saga' 'coming of age' 'Islam' 'Scandanavia' 'Jewish Interest' 'memoir' 'poetry' and on and on it goes. Well worth a look-see.

Hey, sister BaWers, I found this new-to-me site, a small publishing house called Other Press with a wide variety of books. Their eclectic section on psychoanalysis alone is worth the visit. Add into that sections on 'family saga' 'coming of age' 'Islam' 'Scandanavia' 'Jewish Interest' 'memoir' 'poetry' and on and on it goes. Well worth a look-see.

Awesome... I'll be busy for a while perusing books.

Now this would drive me crazy - 12 Books that End Mid Sentence.

10 Must Have bookshelves - I'm kind of digging the secret room bookshelves. Now I just need to find the space for it.

I'd fear to have The Skylight Shelf if I lived in earthquake country!

I worked in an academic library in a previous life, that is, before kids.  In my office I'd have NPR or the classical music station playing on the radio, and one day a public service earthquake safety announcement came on.   It said something to the effect "Imagine if a large earthquake were to hit at this exact moment.  Look at your surroundings.  What would you do?"   Well.  Immediately behind me was a 6 foot tall shelving unit filled with books and next to me was a plate glass window.  I figured I'd have to dive under the desk if the BIG ONE hit!  

I worked in an academic library in a previous life, that is, before kids.  In my office I'd have NPR or the classical music station playing on the radio, and one day a public service earthquake safety announcement came on.   It said something to the effect "Imagine if a large earthquake were to hit at this exact moment.  Look at your surroundings.  What would you do?"   Well.  Immediately behind me was a 6 foot tall shelving unit filled with books and next to me was a plate glass window.  I figured I'd have to dive under the desk if the BIG ONE hit!  

I just got lost inside the reverie of having an actual room of one's own where one could have NPR or classical music or whatever one wanted playing without someone asking for an audio book instead, or something to eat, or look at me, mama, or has anyone seen my socks, has the dog been fed and on and on it gloriously goes... :lol:

Mulling over Top of the Class some more. I wonder if these two women (the authors are sisters) have even heard of homeschooling. Not once did they mention it. They had whole chapters devoted to how to be a team with your child's teachers and how to be involved with the school as much as you can.  They stress the importance of how it's the parents' responsibility to ensure that the children are getting a strong education and all the support/help they need. They discussed how their parents after schooled them, and promoted that in their book as a way to strengthen and deepen a child's education.

So I find it interesting that they never mentioned taking it a step further by homeschooling. Perhaps it's cultural. In Asian countries, they mentioned, that teachers hold a high status of respect in society. Perhaps, the authors feel as if children must go to school and be taught by the "experts". I don't know. I just found myself pondering why homeschooling was never brought up as an option. They mentioned sacrificing by living in a smaller house/apartment in order to live in a better school district if necessary. They mentioned how a parent cutting back on work hours and non-family commitments/hobbies is a must if your child needs help/support/guidance/supervision in order to do well in school. They mentioned that a parent's career should take a back seat to the child's education. They stated that their mother postponed her goals of college and career in order to stay home so she'd always be available to her daughters. But not one word of homeschooling....at least once the child was grade school age.

<snip>

I've read a few books on education that never mention homeschooling.  I find it makes me question the author's credibility.  The topic didn't come up in any research?  They can't even look into it enough to reject the idea?    The author doesn't have to think homeschooling is a good idea, but it should come up.     (I'm assuming American author/publisher here.) 

On the topic of libraries and shelving, here is a noteworthy Kickstarter project:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1903209704/xspace-a-library-designed-and-built-by-its-student

The founders of Project H were briefly employed by a school system in NC.  A documentary was made about their experience and their hands on educational philosophy.  If You Build It is the name of the film.  Those of you who like documentaries might want to see this one.

http://www.ifyoubuilditmovie.com/project-h/

I did it! I finally broke down and paid the $100 fee to use another county's library system. It was $100 for the year but all of my family members can get their own cards. This county allows more books per card, has a grace period for returning items (yes!), and has so many more books that I are on my TBR list.

We all spent the afternoon hanging out in this new (to us) library. My kids loved it. They had eyes as big as plates at all the books on the shelves they want to read. They scored finding a bunch of Asterix books. :laugh:  They complained when I said it was time to go, and when I told them we had been there for over an hour they were shocked. My oldest said, "Wow, time goes by fast when you're having fun in a library! So many books and not enough time. When are we coming back? Tomorrow? Please?"

My heart melted and swelled with happiness all at the same time. :001_wub:

Sadly the verdict is in and my Kindle Paperwhite is causing the problems with my eyes.  I cannot tolerate the light.  I will miss it so, but I'm back to my Kindle keyboard and feeling much better.

I am currently reading Tracker: A Rylee Adamson Novel (Book 6) by Shannon Mayer, which I borrowed from the Amazon Prime Library.

I read almost exclusively on my Kindle now so bookshelves don't excite me, but reading corners do. I'd like A and B. I want them in two different rooms so I can choose to read in whichever one fits my mood.

I prefer to read on my kindle for all fiction and some poetry but I've learned that non-fiction on the kindle doesn't really work for me. It was interesting to look at all those shelves and had me going to look at my own bookshelves and thinking hmm, rather an eclectic grouping of titles. Which got me wondering about other BaWers bookshelves. Anyone up for a 'post all the titles from one shelf of your actual bookshelves' challenge?

I thought I finished 2 books last week, but maybe it was that I finished The Woman in White and finished The Greek Tragedy lectures.  I wish I had the course book that went with the lecture series, but it was still a great course. ;)

1. Sycamore Row by John Grisham

2. Defending Jacob by William Landay

3. The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (J.K. Rowling)

4. Thor's Wedding Day by Bruce Coville

5. All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque (Powerful and well written)

6. These Things Hidden by Heather Gudenkauf  (Bad Lifetime Movie as an audible book)

7. The Racketeer by John Grisham (much better than Sycamore Row, more like old Grisham)

8. The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (Really enjoyed this book)

9. (The Greek Tragedies lecture series by Elizabeth Vandiver) Audible.com

Currently Reading:

1. Moonstone by Wilkie Collins

2. The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt

3. Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

4. Classical Mythology by Stephen Harris and Gloria Platzner (Textbook from my daughter's college class)

5. The Divine Comedy (Inferno) 

6. Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller

7. The Dead Cat Bounce by Sarah Graves

8. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

I'm going to toot my horn a bit more. My child I quoted above is dyslexic. Oh, yeah. I taught him to read and showed him the wonderful life in books and he fell in love with reading. My dh is dyslexic and grew up to hate hate reading. I turned him onto the glorious world of audio books. The force is strong in me. Just call me the Jedi Lit Master. 'Tis my goal in life to spread the love of books, learning disability or not. :thumbup:

Today I read the book Glitterland by Alexis Hall, and I enjoyed it very much.  Here's a good review of the book.

"The universe is a glitterball I hold in the palm of my hand.

Once the golden boy of the English literary scene, now a clinically depressed writer of pulp crime fiction, Ash Winters has given up on love, hope, happiness, and—most of all—himself. He lives his life between the cycles of his illness, haunted by the ghosts of other people’s expectations.

Then a chance encounter at a stag party throws him into the arms of Essex boy Darian Taylor, an aspiring model who lives in a world of hair gel, fake tans, and fashion shows. By his own admission, Darian isn’t the crispest lettuce in the fridge, but he cooks a mean cottage pie and makes Ash laugh, reminding him of what it’s like to step beyond the boundaries of anxiety.

But Ash has been living in his own shadow for so long that he can’t see past the glitter to the light. Can a man who doesn’t trust himself ever trust in happiness? And how can a man who doesn’t believe in happiness ever fight for his own?"

Regards,

Kareni

The theme of this week's Jump Start comic was curbing a book buying fetish.  The story culminates today with a situation to which many of us can relate:

http://www.gocomics.com/jumpstart#.UxsHrIUsBlQ

ETA:  I missed the first two comic strips in the series and am glad that I clicked back to read them.  You can start here and then click through the week.  "Throw me under the bookmobile!"  :smilielol5:

Is it too late to join the Woolf pack?  

You got: Virginia Woolf
You’re not daunted by women who are brilliant but emotionally fragile. On the contrary, you’re selfless and kind enough to want to really nurture someone and support their illustrious career. Yours is a truly deep love because it is a love of the mind, and it will surpass all the hours.

Does it matter that I have only read one Virginia Woolf novel (Mrs. Dalloway)?  I have actually read it twice, once my senior year and again when I was over 40.  I hated it the first time and found it so sad the second time.  (And I didn't pick the lighthouse...maybe it's the knitting or the ring in the book?)