Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW10

Robin M

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost done with Byron's Don Juan. Re-read Aphra Behn's 17th-century classic Oroonoko, Or The Royal Slave, giving me 3 (three!) female writers to date, beating last year. I wish I had time to type in the electric eel excerpt - a fascinating, detailed description of the sensation of serious electric shock, for a readership that had no familiarity with the concept, the write-up of Franklin's and Priestley's experiments being nearly a hundred years away.

Floridamom, I'm going to see if I can squeeze in Daniel Deronda soon. Our library discard store had it. That store and I are settling into a very unhealthy relationship. Our city libraries buy beautiful, high-quality books from Modern Library, Penguin, and The Library of America - those are put in a special section labeled "classics," segregated from "fiction" - nobody checks them out - after a certain brief period of never being checked out, they are sent to the library discard store, next stop, the shredder - I drop by when they open on Thursday and buy them, brand-new, $2 for the ML and LoA, $1 for the Penguins. Last week they ended up with never-opened Dover reprints of specialized mathematics texts, many of which dh had already been thinking about acquiring for professional use. He cleared them out; hundreds of dollars worth of new books for less than $20. While we revel in the largesse, it does give me pause as a taxpayer.

Last post for a while. See you in April, friends!

Looks like Shukriyya, Pam and I are in the Woolf pack!

]

:lol: illustrious company indeed!

I got Jane Austen!  Now, I'm going to run out the virtual door as I say..I've never read Jane Austen  :auto:

This is the universe's way of inviting you to take tea with her :D

VC, I' ll miss your posts. Enjoy your time away.

And on another note, last night I used an Amazon credit to buy four (!) Mary Stewart books. Our library doesn't have many and I'm so enjoying her. I did balance out the fluff with a copy of SWB's History of the Ancient World.

Long day for us. Posting in the dark from the iPad but I'll be up soon enough to start gathering comestibles and supplies for our time out.

Almost done with Byron's Don Juan. Re-read Aphra Behn's 17th-century classic Oroonoko, Or The Royal Slave, giving me 3 (three!) female writers to date, beating last year. I wish I had time to type in the electric eel excerpt - a fascinating, detailed description of the sensation of serious electric shock, for a readership that had no familiarity with the concept, the write-up of Franklin's and Priestley's experiments being nearly a hundred years away.

Floridamom, I'm going to see if I can squeeze in Daniel Deronda soon. Our library discard store had it. That store and I are settling into a very unhealthy relationship. Our city libraries buy beautiful, high-quality books from Modern Library, Penguin, and The Library of America - those are put in a special section labeled "classics," segregated from "fiction" - nobody checks them out - after a certain brief period of never being checked out, they are sent to the library discard store, next stop, the shredder - I drop by when they open on Thursday and buy them, brand-new, $2 for the ML and LoA, $1 for the Penguins. Last week they ended up with never-opened Dover reprints of specialized mathematics texts, many of which dh had already been thinking about acquiring for professional use. He cleared them out; hundreds of dollars worth of new books for less than $20. While we revel in the largesse, it does give me pause as a taxpayer.

Last post for a while. See you in April, friends!

The Aphra Behn book looks very interesting.  Thank you for mentioning the eel--an electrifying enticement for me!

Ah, Lent is almost upon us. Things do get quieter around here.  I wanted to send wishes of peace to those of you who pause for contemplation during this season.

Ah, Lent is almost upon us.

There something deeply moving in this turn of phrase...the earth of the body meeting the austerities of Lent with the intimacy of a lover...as if limbs, flesh, sinew, breath were anticipating being clothed in the slightly uncomfortable but deeply familiar sacred robes of the Beloved...

Ugh, I had a post with quotes all typed out, but them Safari reloaded my tab. *sigh* I'll have to have more coffee before I can recreate. I'm up to 13 for the year and binge reading Evanovich's Stephanie Plum which is fluff, but is laugh out loud funny. Grandma Mazur and Lula crack me up. I've also started reading the Phyrne Fisher series by Kerry Greenwood. I watched a fraction of the Australian TV series on PBS and decided that I should read the books first before watching the show on Netflix.

I'm balancing my recent spate of fluffy reads with a couple of parenting books (one I read about in a thread here and "Dealing with Disappointment" which I also read about here). I also checked out SWB's History of the Meideval World, but mostly I haven't even cracked the cover yet. I'm also rereading TWTM after having discovered a few parts I missed the first time around.

I got Virginia Woolf

enhanced-buzz-31607-1393278303-7.jpg

You’re not daunted by women who are brilliant but emotionally fragile. On the contrary, you’re selfless and kind enough to want to really nurture someone and support their illustrious career. Yours is a truly deep love because it is a love of the mind, and it will surpass all the hours.

Interesting.  

A couple of days ago I went to renew my library stack and discovered someone had requested an entire series that was in my really really want to read portion of my stack. I have finished all that had to be back by the 5th and am loving the Sebastian St. Cyr series. These must be read in order because the underlying character thread/storyline is fabulous. CS Harris has a Phd in European History and an undergraduate degree in classics. They are well written and from what I can tell very a very accurate snapshot of life in London cira 1812.

I completed these this week:

Why Mermaids Sing by CS Harris

Where Serpants Sleep by CS Harris

What Remains of Heaven by CS Harris

Where Shadows Dance by CS Harris

Takedown Twenty by Janet Evanovich my number challenge/insomnia read ;)

Currently reading:

When Maidens Mourn CS Harris

The Dinosaur Feather by SJ Gazon

I just want to add that the CS Harris books are great historical mysteries with a bit of romance. I suspect many of you would love them! :)

Thanks for the description.  I added them to my list.

Husband hates those.  We're watching Return of the Jedi.

My kids have gotten into these during the last month.  It's fun to watch them again after several years.

In case anyone needs a few laughs... :lol:

32 Books Guaranteed to Make You Laugh Out Loud

Librarian Shaming

22 Book Lovers Who Are Doing It Right

Which Classic Author is Your Soulmate?

Love the links.  I got Chekov as well.  Maybe that means I should pull the hammock out of the closet this spring. 
Added a couple of books to my list as well.

I got Anton Chekov :w00t:

1. You got: Anton Chekhov
    Calm and contemplative, you need someone who shares your desire to lie in a hammock in the Russian countryside, drink champagne, and think about the meaning of life. Both of you know that love, alas, is a fickle emotion, so you must cherish it for the fleeting moment in which it graces you.

The thought of lying in a hammock makes me feel profoundly dizzy, add champagne to the mix and, well, you've got this... :lol:

cat.gif

Thank you for a great morning laugh. :lol: 

I only finished one book this past week One Corpse Too Many by Peters (reviewed here), but I did get the taxes done.  :hurray:  I probably won't get much reading time this week as I need to get items ready for our local consignment sale. :svengo:   For March, I'd like to finish up with the 12th and 13th century, get over half way through the Bauer book, and fit in a couple of non-fiction and just for fun titles. :gnorsi:

To be read:

still a huge pile - I finished one off last weeks pile and added 3 or 4 more.  I'm thinking I may stack them at some point to see if the pile is as tall as my 5yo.  Maybe the visual will keep me from putting more on hold. :tongue_smilie:

I do need to read Agamemnon this week to dicuss with DD next week.

In progress:

Bible - finished with Numbers, on to Deuteronomy and still on track

History of the Ancient World by Bauer - only 2 chapters last week, will try for a couple of more this week

Urchin of the Riding Stars by McAllister - reading aloud with DS 9, about midway through and still really enjoying this

Finished:

13.  One Corpse Too Many by Peters (12th century, England)

12.  Oedipus at Colonus by Sophocles (ancient lit, Greece)

11.  Oedipus the King by Sophocles  (ancient lit, Greece)

10.  The Week That Strings the Hangman's Bag by Bradley (BaW rec, England)

9.  Quiet:  The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Cain (non-fiction)

8.  Sandstorm by Rollins (BaW rec, Oman)

7.  The War of the Worlds by Wells (classic lit, Great Britain)

6.  A Morbid Taste for Bones by Peters (12th century, Great Britain)

5.  Anitgone by Sophocles (ancient lit, Greece)

4.  Secrets of an Organized Mom  by Reich (non-fiction)

3.  Phantastes by MacDonald (classic lit)

2.  The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Bradley (BaW rec, Great Britain)

1.  The Odyssey by Homer (ancient lit, Greece)

I just finished The Lady Queen.  Non fiction and pretty interesting.  I didn't know much of anything about Joanna before I read it and found it fascinating to read about a female leader in the middle ages. 

I am in the middle of:  I am Forbidden.  This is fiction set in the wake of WWII in a very conservative Orthodox Jewish community.  I am liking it quite a bit. 

For those among us who would like to get to know our literary soulmate, VW, better...Here is a bit of wonderfulness...the only known sound recording of Virginia Woolf writing on the nature of words. It is wonderful!

Pam, this line caught my inner ear as Mary Szybist's 'Incarnadine' is still shimmering within..."The word incarnadine belongs to multitudinous seas". She says this with richness and a kind of introspection, as if her inner ear is tuned and poised even while she's speaking such that one feels a part of her is rolling amidst those azure and voluminous seas that the word calls forth for her...

VW's voice is quite different than I imagined it would sound, if I imagined at all, which I must have unconsciously since I was surprised by its weight, its slightly ponderous quality, a voice rich as plums fallen and left to ferment amidst the grasses and earth. The talk itself has some lovely poetic musings some of which are questions that hold more true today than ever before...

For though at this moment at least a hundred professors are lecturing upon the literature of the past, at least a thousand critics are reviewing the literature of the present, and hundreds upon hundreds of young men and women are passing examinations in English literature with the utmost credit, still — do we write better, do we read better than we read and wrote four hundred years ago when we were unlectured, uncriticized, untaught? Is our Georgian literature a patch on the Elizabethan? Where then are we to lay the blame? Not on our professors; not on our reviewers; not on our writers; but on words. It is words that are to blame. They are the wildest, freest, most irresponsible, most unteachable of all things. Of course, you can catch them and sort them and place them in alphabetical order in dictionaries. But words do not live in dictionaries; they live in the mind. If you want proof of this, consider how often in moments of emotion when we most need words we find none.

She goes on to say...

But we cannot do it because they do not live in dictionaries; they live in the mind. And how do they live in the mind? Variously and strangely, much as human beings live, by ranging hither and thither, by falling in love, and mating together. It is true that they are much less bound by ceremony and convention than we are. Royal words mate with commoners. English words marry French words, German words, Indian words...Indeed, the less we enquire into the past of our dear Mother English the better it will be for that lady’s reputation. For she has gone a-roving, a-roving fair maid.

And this last bit is lovely...

Finally, and most emphatically, words, like ourselves, in order to live at their ease, need privacy. Undoubtedly they like us to think, and they like us to feel, before we use them; but they also like us to pause; to become unconscious. Our unconsciousness is their privacy; our darkness is their light. . . .

Yesterday I read the romantic suspense novel Forgotten Sins by Rebecca Zanetti.  It was an enjoyable read, and I'll be on the lookout for the sequels. 

"His Secrets Can Destroy Her

From the moment Josie laid eyes on sexy, mysterious Shane Dean, she was in love. Their desire ignited a passionate affair, and within weeks, Shane had slipped a ring on her finger. It seemed her every fantasy was coming true . . . until her new husband disappeared without a trace. Now, two years and one broken heart later, Josie is shocked when the hospital calls: Shane has been found . . . at a crime scene with no memory of how he got there.

Her Love Can Save Him

Shane can't remember the blue-eyed angel at his bedside-or who he even is-but he knows something isn't right. His hearing is razor sharp, his physical strength incredible, and the urge to protect Josie overwhelming. For powerful enemies are hunting him, and Josie is the key to discovering why. As Shane struggles to unravel his past, dangerous new truths come to light. Can he protect the only woman he's ever loved? And can Josie trust a man she thought she knew-one who carries such a deadly secret?"

Regards,

Kareni

Just dropping in for a moment.  It's above zero degrees here which means Spring Cleaning! :hurray:  and a host of other things.

I'm working through a short book on Alexander Technique.  Some of what is being said resonates somewhat with Charlotte Mason which also has been on my mind this week.  Anyways, I'm walking around aware of my posture, how I hold my head and being present in the moment.

The Alexander Technique by Richard Brennan

John Dewey quote, “The real opposition is not between reason and habit, but between routine and unintelligent habit and intelligent habit or art.  Old habits need modification no matter how good they have been.  It is the function of intelligence to determine where changes should be made.â€

And Shakespeare just because it is:   Weary with toil, I haste me to my bed

The dear repose for limbs with travel tir’d

But then begins a journey in my head,

To work my mind, when body’s work’s expir’d;

For then my thoughts, from far where I abide,

Intend zealous pilgrimage to thee,

And keep my drooping eyelids open wide,

Looking on darkness which the blind do see:

Save that my soul’s imaginary sight

Presents thy shadow to my sightless view,

Which, like a jewel hung in ghastly night,

Makes black night beauteous and her old face new.

Lo!  Thus, by day my limbs, by night my mind,

For thee and for myself no quiet find.

Happy March everyone!

My son and I read The London Eye Mystery, by Siobhan Dowd, a few years ago -- also a mystery told from the perspective of, and in that case substantively solved for the police (it was an apparent kidnapping of a minor) by a youngster on the spectrum because of his movie-making visual memory.  If you haven't come across it, I'd recommend that one too  The voice there was also very good and an eye-opening peek into a very different type of mind, although I think Curious Incident was ultimately better (because it provided insight as well into the toll on other family members of having constantly to adapt, without much give-and-take).

No twaddle guilt.   Ever.  Woman cannot live on Dostoyevsky alone!

I see my library has plenty of copies of The London Eye Mystery so I put it on my to be read list. Curious was partly so interesting to me because of what you said. I often wonder how my Asperger's kid(s) interpret my words and actions. In someways I wanted to shake the parents but, on the other hand, I could relate so well.

And, now, I shall feel no twaddle guilt today! :D

Just dropping in for a moment.  It's above zero degrees here which means Spring Cleaning! :hurray:  and a host of other things.

I'm working through a short book on Alexander Technique.  Some of what is being said resonates somewhat with Charlotte Mason which also has been on my mind this week.  Anyways, I'm walking around aware of my posture, how I hold my head and being present in the moment.

The Alexander Technique by Richard Brennan

John Dewey quote, “The real opposition is not between reason and habit, but between routine and unintelligent habit and intelligent habit or art.  Old habits need modification no matter how good they have been.  It is the function of intelligence to determine where changes should be made.â€

One of my close friends recently finished her four year training in the Alexander technique. She was and is utterly immersed in that world. Whenever I'm with her I'm aware of her 'Alexander gaze' :lol:

For those among us who would like to get to know our literary soulmate, VW, better...Here is a bit of wonderfulness...the only known sound recording of Virginia Woolf writing on the nature of words. It is wonderful!

Pam, this line caught my inner ear as Mary Szybist's 'Incarnadine' is still shimmering within..."The word incarnadine belongs to multitudinous seas". She says this with richness and a kind of introspection, as if her inner ear is tuned and poised even while she's speaking such that one feels a part of her is rolling amidst those azure and voluminous seas that the word calls forth for her...

VW's voice is quite different than I imagined it would sound, if I imagined at all, which I must have unconsciously since I was surprised by its weight, its slightly ponderous quality, a voice rich as plums fallen and left to ferment amidst the grasses and earth. The talk itself has some lovely poetic musings some of which are questions that hold more true today than ever before...

For though at this moment at least a hundred professors are lecturing upon the literature of the past, at least a thousand critics are reviewing the literature of the present, and hundreds upon hundreds of young men and women are passing examinations in English literature with the utmost credit, still — do we write better, do we read better than we read and wrote four hundred years ago when we were unlectured, uncriticized, untaught? Is our Georgian literature a patch on the Elizabethan? Where then are we to lay the blame? Not on our professors; not on our reviewers; not on our writers; but on words. It is words that are to blame. They are the wildest, freest, most irresponsible, most unteachable of all things. Of course, you can catch them and sort them and place them in alphabetical order in dictionaries. But words do not live in dictionaries; they live in the mind. If you want proof of this, consider how often in moments of emotion when we most need words we find none.

She goes on to say...

But we cannot do it because they do not live in dictionaries; they live in the mind. And how do they live in the mind? Variously and strangely, much as human beings live, by ranging hither and thither, by falling in love, and mating together. It is true that they are much less bound by ceremony and convention than we are. Royal words mate with commoners. English words marry French words, German words, Indian words...Indeed, the less we enquire into the past of our dear Mother English the better it will be for that lady’s reputation. For she has gone a-roving, a-roving fair maid.

And this last bit is lovely...

Finally, and most emphatically, words, like ourselves, in order to live at their ease, need privacy. Undoubtedly they like us to think, and they like us to feel, before we use them; but they also like us to pause; to become unconscious. Our unconsciousness is their privacy; our darkness is their light. . . .

Thank you for this.

I think her voice sounds like she accidentally put three marbles into one cheek. :laugh:  But, hey, I'm from CT.

I'm still a bit disoriented, to be truthful, by my assignment to the Woolf Pack.  She's one of those authors whose innovation and craft I admire deeply but to whose work I don't necessarily relate personally... despite my attraction to lighthouses and a deep and enduring need (often unmet at this phase of life) for a room of my own.  

She's so... I dunno... self conscious... I never for an instant get lost inside her books, because I'm always so terribly aware of the Writer At Work.  The selves of both Author, and therefore, Me The Reader, are always acutely present.  Whereas I fall into, and for a while live inside, literature that moves me deeply. Including Szybist's poetry.

I don't think I had once thought about the word incarnadine until two months ago, and now I seem to see it everywhere.  Also, refulgent, which I had to look up as I was reading Rushdie last week, and now I'm seeing everywhere -- Attar uses  it at least five times... Bizarre how that works.

Thank you for this.

I think her voice sounds like she accidentally put three marbles into one cheek. :laugh:  But, hey, I'm from CT.

:smilielol5:

I'm still a bit disoriented, to be truthful, by my assignment to the Woolf Pack.  She's one of those authors whose innovation and craft I admire deeply but to whose work I don't necessarily relate personally... despite my attraction to lighthouses and a deep and enduring need (often unmet at this phase of life) for a room of my own.  

Is it necessary to relate personally? Musing myself as well here. There are so many other ways of responding to an author but I think in this day and age the one-dimensional personal holds more and more weight. I find that the place of intersection can sometimes be relating by way of...irritation, aversion, incomprehension, awe...all these are ways in though I don't always necessarily go through the gate. Particularly if 'irritation' is the key needed to turn the lock :lol: but when I do there is often something to be learned, turned over in the hands of the mind, tasted, digested and mulled over.

She's so... I dunno... self conscious... I never for an instant get lost inside her books, because I'm always so terribly aware of the Writer At Work.  The selves of both Author, and therefore, Me The Reader, are always acutely present.  Whereas I fall into, and for a while live inside, literature that moves me deeply. Including Szybist's poetry.

Getting lost in a book is sooooooooo much more fun than plodding through it, I agree. But some of the best books I've read were plodding, trudging journeys, feet heavy and earthbound. And afterwards the mind shedding leaves and sheaves of light...

I don't think I had once thought about the word incarnadine until two months ago, and now I seem to see it everywhere.  Also, refulgent, which I had to look up as I was reading Rushdie last week, and now I'm seeing everywhere -- Attar uses  it at least five times... Bizarre how that works.

I love that collective unconscious swimming up to the awareness like that, making the body of the mind bloom and swim with a kind of startling refraction and offshoots like reeds everywhere :D

Dearest Jane! :001_wub:

I dare not take the quiz again. . .

Which Classic Author Is Your Soulmate?
  1. You got: Jane Austen
    Ever so genteel, you are in need of a woman who is your equal in rank and temperament, a woman who is financially independent but who still appreciates being taken care of. As romantic realists, both you and Jane realize that your imperfections make you perfect for each other, and that it is a combination of reason and emotion that makes a happy marriage.

I couldn't resist. . .I took it again. Add me to the Woolf pack.

1. You got: Virginia Woolf
    You’re not daunted by women who are brilliant but emotionally fragile. On the contrary, you’re selfless and kind enough to want to really nurture someone and support their illustrious career. Yours is a truly deep love because it is a love of the mind, and it will surpass all the hours.

• You got: Anton Chekhov

enhanced-buzz-399-1393277890-1.jpgVia commons.wikimedia.org

Calm and contemplative, you need someone who shares your desire to lie in a hammock in the Russian countryside, drink champagne, and think about the meaning of life. Both of you know that love, alas, is a fickle emotion, so you must cherish it for the fleeting moment in which it graces you.

I did this quiz a couple of weeks ago on Facebook. Chekov is one Russian author I've not read yet. I've decided to give him a go. He can't be worse than any of the others. Plus, he's quite attractive. :blushing:

I have to agree. The first time I took the quiz I got Thoreau at first and Chekov second. I'm thinking there could be worse soulmates - at least he'd be pleasant to look at while lying in a hammock and drinking champagne.

Thoreau I've read, but now I'm thinking I should put some Chekov on request at the library. Any good suggestions for a first or best Chekov? Plays or short stories?

I'm in the Woolf pack too and though she's on my list of authors to read someday, I've yet to read any of her work. Did we all choose to live in a lighthouse? Is that what did it? :D

I don't think so because I chose the lighthouse and got Jane Austen <3

I'm in the Woolf pack too and though she's on my list of authors to read someday, I've yet to read any of her work. Did we all choose to live in a lighthouse? Is that what did it? :D

I like your easygoing acceptance of moving to a lighthouse as though that were decided by BaWers as a course of action :D The lighthouse reference is actually from one of her better known books, 'To The Lighthouse'

I know that. It seems my silliness didn't come through the internet. 

You know what, as I was writing I was thinking, Floridamom probably knows about 'To the Lighthouse', she's just being goofy. So apparently your silliness and my denseness had a little tete-a-tete in another realm :smilielol5:

Nope.  I chose a different venue and still ended up in the pack.

Regards,

Kareni

Browsing around the BuzzFeed site (home of the literary soul mate quiz), I came upon this interesting article:

22 Books You Should Read Now, Based On Your Childhood Favorites by Arianna Rebolini   

So, for example,

1. If you loved The Giver, you should read Kazuo Ishiguro’s Never Let Me Go.

and

4. If you loved the Harry Potter series, you should read Lev Grossman’s The Magicians.

and

14. If you loved Harriet the Spy, you should read Muriel Barbery’s The Elegance of the Hedgehog.

There are some interesting picks.

Regards,

Kareni

Browsing around the Buzz Feed site (home of the literary soul mate quiz), I came upon this interesting article:

22 Books You Should Read Now, Based On Your Childhood Favorites by Arianna Rebolini   

So, for example,

and

4. If you loved the Harry Potter series, you should read Lev Grossman’s The Magicians.

and

14. If you loved Harriet the Spy, you should read Muriel Barbery’s The Elegance of the Hedgehog.

Regards,

Kareni

I saw this last night but the only one that really resonated with me was the Anne of Green Gables - The Country Girls intersection. Though I was encouraged to see Phantom Tollbooth lined up with Stardust, the latter being one of my 5/5/5 and the former being a book we love here.

I finally started reading my January Kindle Owners' Lending Library book  - The Beggar King: A Hangman's Daughter TaleFor those who don't know about the lending library, there are no due dates, but you can only borrow one book a month and only one at a time. That means my January book sat on my Kindle through February and I wasn't able to borrow a book last month. I read a few chapters but it didn't grab me like the previous ones in the series and I had so many other books to read so I just put it aside. I finally started on it again and have been able to get into it. I'm hoping to finish it soon and borrow the last book as my March KOLL book.

Browsing around the Buzz Feed site (home of the literary soul mate quiz), I came upon this interesting article:

So, for example,

and

and

Regards,

Kareni

Interesting indeed!  My husband was a Tolkien freak as a child.  While he still enjoys Tolkien, he is also a fan of Michael Chabon's books.

My son spent many an afternoon and evening reading and rereading all of the Redwall books.  It is suggested that if one loved those books, read Martin's Game of Thrones series. My son's take on the latter is that they make great airplane books for trans-Atlantic flights.  But I can see how one morphs into the other.

I read The Westing Game when my son was in elementary school--and I loved it.  I guess this means I should try Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore?  OK Jenn--we have similar tastes in mysteries. Have you read the latter?

I finally started reading my January Kindle Owners' Lending Library book - The Beggar King: A Hangman's Daughter Tale. For those who don't know about the lending library, there are no due dates, but you can only borrow one book a month and only one at a time. That means my January book sat on my Kindle through February and I wasn't able to borrow a book last month. I read a few chapters but it didn't grab me like the previous ones in the series and I had so many other books to read so I just put it aside. I finally started on it again and have been able to get into it. I'm hoping to finish it soon and borrow the last book as my March KOLL book.

I love my iPad and the Overdrive app for the library, but the owner's lending library is one of the reasons I have considered a plain jane Kindle. Sometimes the selection on Overdrive can be frustrating and I *really* like the instant "I want to read this book and now I can" gratification. Are there many books to choose from? Is it just recent stuff or are there older copies? Is there a waiting list for a book or are you pretty much able to get it right away? Tell me more and enable my book addiction! :0)

I finally started reading my January Kindle Owners' Lending Library book  - The Beggar King: A Hangman's Daughter TaleFor those who don't know about the lending library, there are no due dates, but you can only borrow one book a month and only one at a time. ...

... Are there many books to choose from? Is it just recent stuff or are there older copies? Is there a waiting list for a book or are you pretty much able to get it right away? Tell me more and enable my book addiction! :0)

I too would like to know more as my daughter has a Kindle.  Please do share. 

Regards,

Kareni

... now I'm thinking I should put some Chekov on request at the library. Any good suggestions for a first or best Chekov? Plays or short stories?

This BuzzFeed article -

10 Short Stories You Should Read This Winter

recommends “The Lady With The Dog†by Anton Chekhov stating,

"Summary: In perfect Chekhovian fashion, a man enters into a torrid relationship with a beautiful woman in a romantic Russian town in, of course, the winter. This woman also has a dog.

Excerpt: “Why did she love him so? Women had always taken him to be other than he was, and they had loved in him, not himself, but a man their imagination had created, whom they had greedily sought all their lives; and then, when they had noticed their mistake, they had still loved him. And not one of them had been happy with him. Time passed, he met women, became intimate, parted, but not once did he love; there was anything else, but not love.â€

So cold it’s like: Stepping out into the night after you just finished a good book."

Regards,

Kareni

Okay, I'm spending way too much time on the BuzzFeed site. 

14 Paperbacks That Are Reenacting Their Own Plots

15 Works Of Nail Art Inspired By Your Favorite Children’s Books

Where is the article that starts with 16?

ETA: Ah, here it is ~

16 Signs You Were An English Major

Curiously, the URL includes 17, not 16!

Regards,

Kareni

This BuzzFeed article -

10 Short Stories You Should Read This Winter

recommends “The Lady With The Dog†by Anton Chekhov stating,

"Summary: In perfect Chekhovian fashion, a man enters into a torrid relationship with a beautiful woman in a romantic Russian town in, of course, the winter. This woman also has a dog.

Excerpt: “Why did she love him so? Women had always taken him to be other than he was, and they had loved in him, not himself, but a man their imagination had created, whom they had greedily sought all their lives; and then, when they had noticed their mistake, they had still loved him. And not one of them had been happy with him. Time passed, he met women, became intimate, parted, but not once did he love; there was anything else, but not love.â€

So cold it’s like: Stepping out into the night after you just finished a good book."

Regards,

Kareni

This short story is the eponymous title of the free kindle book of Chekhov's short stories I got yesterday as an alternative response to lying in the hammock with him sipping champagne ;)

I got:

#1  Henry David Thoreau:  Although, I'm not very interested in living in the middle of nowhere with no connection to the outside world.  Must have been my daisy proposal.  I like flowers.  :thumbup1:  

#2  Jane Austen:  Many years ago I tried reading her, but I couldn't get through the book.  Maybe I should try again?!

VC, wishing you a peaceful & lovely Lenten reverie.

Jane, do I have to know how to knit to join the kniting party by the sea??? I can come & just gab, but unfortunately can't contribute crafty-ness (vs. craftiness ;) ) to the gathering....

I read The Westing Game when my son was in elementary school--and I loved it. I guess this means I should try Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore? OK Jenn--we have similar tastes in mysteries. Have you read the latter?

I'm not Jenn, but I read Mr. Penumbra's a year or two ago. I remember it being a frivolous, fairly fun read. It's not at all like Dan Brown's books, yet I sort of equate it on a similar level -- something light & interesting enough to be a decent pool or beach read, kwim? Earlier today (prior to your post), I was just thinking that my current book (A Novel Bookstore) reminds me a wee bit of Mr. Penumbra's (but classier & with a French accent).

:lol:

For the Woolf pack, Chekhov lovers, & Austenites, come visit Langston & me in the city sometime! (And, Negin, your guy sure is a looker! :w00t: I can see why EH pulled in the ladies.)

Is it too funny that when I was (browsing, yes browsing!) at the library this afternoon, I picked up a couple of Langston Hughes' books?

Are there many books to choose from? Is it just recent stuff or are there older copies? Is there a waiting list for a book or are you pretty much able to get it right away? Tell me more and enable my book addiction! :0)

I too would like to know more as my daughter has a Kindle.  Please do share. 

Regards,

Kareni

I forgot you have to be both an Amazon Prime member and a Kindle owner. I wouldn't recommend becoming a Prime member or buying a Kindle just for the lending library. There are a lot of books, but most are ones you probably never heard of. There's a mix of fiction and non-fiction. No waiting lists and no due dates. You get one book per month. If you return it before the month is out you still need to wait until next month. If you don't return it until the next month you still get that next month's book. Here's a list of the current eligible books. It isn't Amazon who decides if a book can be in the lending library, but the publishers. I think Amazon also does some kind of deal with their authors so the authors have to let their books be in the library for a certain amount of time. Which reminds me - Books don't stay there forever. I did put some in my wish list and when I went back months later, some of them were no longer in the lending library. 

It's great if you already have a Kindle and are a Prime member for other reasons. As I said though, it's not a reason to pay for either.