Menu

Who is already registered in online classes for 2014-2015?

I did not e-mail Dr. Gillespie before she submitted the application.  On the AP Human Geography page it says, "If you are interested in taking this course, please complete and e-mail me the attached Information Form as soon as possible."  It also says that the class fills quickly so early registration is recommended.

I guess I will e-mail her because I am not sure whether I need to wait for an acceptance to send payment or if making a payment will mean that she is registered.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I would answer this so everyone could see.  Up until this year ds has used Saxon Math.  Last year he completed Saxon Advanced Math through lesson 90, but after that he was struggling.  I decided to have him take pre-calculus to make certain he was solid in it before calculus.  I think the Derek Owens class has been mostly review for him, but I also think it has helped him to solidify his math skills. 

What I really like about the class is that all homework and exams are graded and returned very quickly.  Ds scans the homework/tests into a pdf file and submits his work.  The work is returned in the same manner.  In the upper levels of math, I would often mark an answer wrong when it was just written in a different way (I am NOT a mathy person...LOL!).  Although ds has not had any questions yet, I would imagine those would be answered in a timely manner as well.

I also appreciate that at any time you can look at the grade book and see how much of the course is completed, as well as the grades. 

Another aspect I like is that you pay for the class monthly.  You can do this online through Paypal.  Very easy!

The only aspect I do not like is that it is self-paced.  My ds operates MUCH better with FIRM deadlines.  But the flexibility may be a positive for some.  There is a syllabus that the student follows, but the class is set up so that you can begin/end in any month and take as long as you need.  This is where it is nice to pay monthly.  If your child is a sppedy worker, he or she can complete the class early and save you some money. 

Hope this helps! 

Michelle,

Do you know if Derek Owens requires his pre-calc students to do at least some graphing by hand? Or is it all done on the calculator? Thanks! Jetta

Kolbe's registration for their online classes are not open yet, but they are expanding. 

http://kolbe.org/online-courses/

Most of our online classes will be there, I think. Live classes, moodle website, student interactions, even from class to class.

Did you use any of Kolbe's online classes last year?  I like Kolbe and we have used some of the curriculum.  I am interested in how the classes went in their first year. 

Did you use any of Kolbe's online classes last year?  I like Kolbe and we have used some of the curriculum.  I am interested in how the classes went in their first year. 

Disclosure statement: I am a technical moderator for Kolbe.  

The classes went well. The teachers are learning the ins and outs of teaching online. Some are doing an awesome job, others have had a tougher time, but all are doing a good job in teaching their students. Now that there is someone fully employed at Kolbe to do technical support for both kids and teachers, things will go even smoother. This year was a lot of learning about what works and what doesn't. Things have stabilized for the second semester and are quite good.

I came away with one thing though, I *cannot* teach as well as what's been done in those classes for those subjects. I am a good teacher, but I've been awed by the content and reflections going on in courses like Literature, and Theology. Discussions that I would never have thought of at home. I'm absolutely convinced that my daughter (who's starting 9th grade in the fall) will have a much better education through those classes, than just me at home with her.

The classes went well. The teachers are learning the ins and outs of teaching online. Some are doing an awesome job, others have had a tougher time, but all are doing a good job in teaching their students. Now that there is someone fully employed at Kolbe to do technical support for both kids and teachers, things will go even smoother. This year was a lot of learning about what works and what doesn't. Things have stabilized for the second semester and are quite good.

I came away with one thing though, I *cannot* teach as well as what's been done in those classes for those subjects. I am a good teacher, but I've been awed by the content and reflections going on in courses like Literature, and Theology. Discussions that I would never have thought of at home. I'm absolutely convinced that my daughter (who's starting 9th grade in the fall) will have a much better education through those classes, than just me at home with her.

How religion-based are the literature classes (or writing, if you've done that)? We've had to switch away from the local lit class because the teacher went with a much more religiously based curriculum.

Sigh. The Pacific time zone will probably make these impossible for us.

How religion-based are the literature classes (or writing, if you've done that)? We've had to switch away from the local lit class because the teacher went with a much more religiously based curriculum.

I can only speak for one lit class "Literature of Christendom".

With a title like that, they chose classics that do discuss Christianity, so there's a lot of religion-based discussion but it's not a theology class. Quite a lot of time is spent on the Divine Comedy, so yeah, there are many of those discussions about Heaven and Earth. It's all from the following view point:

"This is what they believed at that time, so this is how to interpret what's been written"

DD is going to take English 2 in the fall with The Potter's School.

ETA:  Can I say that it is a pet peeve of mine having to decide all of this so far in advance........

Me too! Dd really wants to take biology, but has mono.  How are we to know what she will feel like in five months?  Right now, it's all she can do to keep up with English and Spanish.

I signed dd up for Blue Tent Honors English I next year and hope it was the right choice.  She's awfully shy, so we'll see how it goes.

Paula

Dd was/is very shy in person, but has bloomed in her online class.  She is one of the leaders in her English class and volunteers whenever the teacher asks.

And I also purchased an online class for me!!!  Homeschool Homestead.

Landry Academy has these "Groups"  for adults that meet twice a month for a year.  They are a good price if you get in on them early. (I only paid $48, but it went up today to $58)  We only have an acre, but I am fairly rural with few restrictions and have always wanted to have a substantial garden, bees, and chickens.  Maybe I will learn more about that with this class.  I am excited to take a class for myself.  Other than conferences, I have not taken classes on my own in forever.

This is an ongoing (yearly membership) group for homeschooling families who are "homesteading" or are thinking about "homesteading."  (On a first-come-first-served basis.)

You'll receive ongoing support, ideas, encouragement, know-how, etc. and be able to virtually tour other homeschool homesteads!

We will cover topics such as:

- Gardening

- Canning, freezing and preserving food (apple

sauce, peaches, corn, beans, jellies, salsa, etc....)

- Raising livestock from chickens to cows (and everything in between)

- Raising dairy cows and goats

- Pickling and sauerkraut

- Cheese and yogurt making

- Soap making

- Candle making

- Homemade cleaners and household products

- Pasta, bread and sourdough bread making

- Farmers markets - buying and selling

- Herbs and dried flowers

- Maple syruping

- Bee keeping / honey making

- Sewing/ crafting

- And much more

I had never heard of it before, but I have registered for Homeschool Homestead too.  16dd is really excited about it.

I can only speak for one lit class "Literature of Christendom".

With a title like that, they chose classics that do discuss Christianity, so there's a lot of religion-based discussion but it's not a theology class. Quite a lot of time is spent on the Divine Comedy, so yeah, there are many of those discussions about Heaven and Earth. It's all from the following view point:

"This is what they believed at that time, so this is how to interpret what's been written"

Thanks! That's the kind of inclusion of religion that I find appropriate. Although non-Christian, we did a class at home in biblical literacy last year, including having my daughter read the Tanakh, a Protestant New Testament, and the deuterocanonical material from a Catholic Bible, so that she will better understand allusions in literature and art. My problem has been running into lots of providential or proselytizing curricula and classes, basically classes that are worldview first, academics second.

Already signed up for La Clase Divertada Spanish III

Have generic semesters purchased at Landry that will be converted to Adv. Comp and a semester of Lit when their registration opens.

Planning to sign up for PA Homeschoolers AP Chemistry in a month or so when I have the money to pay for it.

Circe just started registration for their Lost Tools of Writing classes, and I signed my son up for one.  I haven't heard much feedback on these boards about these classes, but I figure I like the curriculum and my son will do better with someone other than me teaching it.

Not done choosing courses for next year, but here goes:

DS rising 11th grader - TPS CADD for Mechanical Engineering Design 1 (anyone have experience with this class?)

DD rising 8th grader - Alg 1 with Jann Perkins

I'm still deciding which language arts and science online courses.

I've submitted applications for dd and had her accepted to her two PAHsers classes by the teachers.  Do I have to pay right away to be double-dog-sure she's in, or can I pay in a week, a month, or anytime before the early-bird deadline?

Good question!  I would like to know too.  

Does anyone have any experience with Kathryn Walker as a teacher?  Any input would be appreciated.

I signed my dd up for an online Great Ideas course which is Language Arts, History, and Worldview all rolled into one course. It looks great, so we're really excited. It is through Tree of Life at Home. I love what I hear about TPS, but for the price I thought that we'd spring for that the final year of high school.

I signed DD up for LToW1 Summer intensive.  She really needs to work on essay writing after this years disappointing online class experience.   Writing remains her biggest weakness.

Is the summer intensive online?  Can you share (PM if you prefer) the name of the online writing class that was disappointing?  Was it an LToW class or something else?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have one signed up for High School composition with Laurel Tree Tutorials.

And my older ds will take Advanced Research Writing with Lukeion, AP Macroeconomics with PA Homeschoolers, and possibly AP Stats with PAH. 

Well, back to the drawing board for composition. Rebekah Randolph isn't teaching this fall. Sigh...

And older ds is going to take AP Human Geography instead of AP Macroeconomics, now that he plans to major in geography at college. 

Thing #2-  Purchased generic semesters for ASL 2, and Adobe Photoshop

May I ask where you registered for these?  DD has some ASL knowledge through some friends in the deaf community,  but nothing formal.  We did Photoshop ourselves last year, but I would be interested in something more structured.

May I ask where you registered for these?  DD has some ASL knowledge through some friends in the deaf community,  but nothing formal.  We did Photoshop ourselves last year, but I would be interested in something more structured.

Dd(15) will be taking ASL 2 through Landry Academy.  The teacher, Mr. Dally, is wonderful and dd just loved her ASL 1 class with him this past year.

Also, through Landry Academy, dd will be taking Photoshop 1 during the first semester and Adobe Illustrator during second semester.  She has high hopes for these classes.

Well, back to the drawing board for composition. Rebekah Randolph isn't teaching this fall. Sigh...

And older ds is going to take AP Human Geography instead of AP Macroeconomics, now that he plans to major in geography at college. 

I wonder if that means that she is going to have a baby  :001_smile: .

My ds took AP Human Geo with PAHS two years ago and loved it.  Did your older one decide on the AP Stats? My ds will be taking it this fall.

My ds took AP Human Geo with PAHS two years ago and loved it.  Did your older one decide on the AP Stats? My ds will be taking it this fall.

Yes, Rebekah is expecting her second child, and we are very happy for her and her husband.  :hurray: I just selfishly wish the timing would have been a little different so that my younger ds could have taken her class. My older ds took High School Composition a few years ago and learned so much from Rebekah.

And yes, my oldest is taking AP Stats too. Our sons will be classmates.  :001_smile:

Dd(15) will be taking ASL 2 through Landry Academy.  The teacher, Mr. Dally, is wonderful and dd just loved her ASL 1 class with him this past year.

Also, through Landry Academy, dd will be taking Photoshop 1 during the first semester and Adobe Illustrator during second semester.  She has high hopes for these classes.

Leslie, when is the best time to buy the generic semesters from Landry - meaning when do they offer the largest discount?

Leslie, when is the best time to buy the generic semesters from Landry - meaning when do they offer the largest discount?

I'm not Leslie, but I found the largest discounts in early August.  I am subscribed to their newsletter, so I receive regular emails which will post their generic credit "sales".  This past year they also ran a special around Thanksgiving and before Christmas, so prices were good, but August was still less expensive. 

I'm not Leslie, but I found the largest discounts in early August.  I am subscribed to their newsletter, so I receive regular emails which will post their generic credit "sales".  This past year they also ran a special around Thanksgiving and before Christmas, so prices were good, but August was still less expensive. 

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

Thing #1-  AP English Literature with Maya Inspektor (I want to take this one myself!) and AP Statistics w/PAHS and generic semesters purchased for Physics w/Landry

After much debate, ds added AP Statistics with PAHS for next year along with English Language. I hope he doesn't end up overwhelmed, but I think he is looking forward to both classes.

Just signed dd#1 up for Second Form Latin through Memoria Press. Taking time before signing her up for Spanish through Spanish-Clicks.

Since Spanish Clicks isn't doing anything but Spanish II next year, I went ahead & signed up/paid for Spanish I with Sr. Gamache (La Clase Divertida).  :huh:  We'll see how it goes. 

Mine are registered with our school board for first term.  Both teens will be taking high school writing, human society and classical natural science.

High school writing it self explanatory.

Human society course description: "This course covers the history of Ethical and Political thought in the pre-Christian West in the Greek and Roman philosophers, poets and historians. What is the nature of justice? How do we know what is good? How do pleasure, friendship, virtue and God relate to a good life? What is the best form of government? Why do people disagree about the best form of government?" They use Plato's republic, politics by aristotle and several other selections.

Classical natural science course description: "
This course will discuss the methods and fundamental questions of classic natural science.  How do we come to know about the natural world?  What are the principles of nature?  What kind of knowing is instinct?  What does it mean to be “aliveâ€?" The main text is Fabre's insect world.

They still have to study their regular science too, but this one will be a fun one.

I am considering some of lukeions short term workshop type classes to try them out but I don't think my kids could handle the workload of the language classes which is too bad because they look awesome.

They will also be doing some online classes with distance ed, but that is just the public school course work delivered online.  Not as cool as the stuff they are taking with out board.

My older daughter is enrolled in French 2 with Madame S. at the Potter's School.  She will also be taking pre-calculus with Derick Owens.  My younger daughter is registered for the Japanese 2 class at Landry, but so far there's still no teacher listed.  I'm praying that Landry will find a good Japanese teacher soon.  We've decided against the Potter's School Japanese class because of the cost.  My budget is getting stretched too thin.

Actually they are already offering the best prices EVER for Landry generics  but they are for year 2015/2016 -  

any classes for the coming year are already at or very near regular prices - (about 350.00 per semester I think)

A couple of weeks ago I bought 35  generic semesters  for the coming 2015/2016 year and beyond for 62.00 per semester!!!!

Kept 14 semesters for myself and sold the rest to friends - and I am not concerned at all about getting rid of more if I decide later I don't need them. 

My girls have loved the Landry classes - how they run - assignments that make sense  - so they are eager to take more.

Check the website and get on the Mailing list for more information.

Leslie,

It looks like the guys will have two classes together this fall.

Sailor Dude is working on math and Spanish through the summer to cut down on review time in the fall and to make time for the PAHS Stats class.

This coming year will be the most I have ever outsourced: AP English Literature, AP Statistics, AP Macroeconomics (all PAHS) and Spanish will probably be with Ray Leven at Spanish Learning Online.

We decided on Middle School English A taught by Emily Mulvihill at AIM Academy in place of Laurel Tree Tutorials. I think it will be a good fit for my younger son.

And FYI - Rebekah is retiring permanently from teaching online, so Laurel Tree Tutorials is no more.  :crying:

Michelle, may I ask how you like the Derek Owens Precalculus class? You can send me a pm if need be. Thanks so much.

Not Michelle, but my daughter took Derek Owen's precalc class (following Teaching Textbooks through Alg 2).  It was great, and she continued with him the following year for Calc AB.  She is in a university Calc 2 class right now (having just finished DO's course), and has the highest average in the class by far.  DO prepared her well!

After much debate, ds added AP Statistics with PAHS for next year along with English Language. I hope he doesn't end up overwhelmed, but I think he is looking forward to both classes.

That's awesome!  Our boys will be in statistics together!  Mine is going to be majorly overwhelmed, but he wanted to take several challenging classes, as well as, take a day a week out of his schedule on Fridays to return to a public school enrichment school he has attended in the past.  He loves the teachers and interaction.  Plus, they put on a very nice and intimate graduation service.  It is going to be a wild ride this year!  So cool they will be experiencing some of it together.