Menu

Who is already registered in online classes for 2014-2015?

I've got one in Maya Inspektor's AP English Language with PA Homeschoolers and AP Environmental Science with PA Homeschoolers.  I've got another guy in Blue Tent English 1. 

Do we have any classmates here?

I'm excited about these classes.  I am doing a lot of outsourcing next year.  I am a long time homeschooler and I just am not doing well with high school despite good effort and intentions.  I am glad I got my guys in these classes.  Now, just to finish off this year strong.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have my #2 signed up for Latin 2 and Ancient Lit. with Lukeion, AP Geography with PA Homeschoolers, and Algebra II with Derek Owens.  I am considering AP English next year for 10th grade with Maya Inspektor so I will be all ears to see how you like it.

I've got one in Maya Inspektor's AP English Language with PA Homeschoolers and AP Environmental Science with PA Homeschoolers.  I've got another guy in Blue Tent English 1. 

Do we have any classmates here?

Ds will be in the AP English class with yours.

Blue Tent English 2

Dd is in Blue Tent English 2 with Luckymama's dd.

Neither one has done an online class before. This is new territory for us, but we are all really excited about it. We're feeling the February blahs and looking forward to new things next year!

Thing #1-  AP English Literature with Maya Inspektor (I want to take this one myself!) and AP Statistics w/PAHS and generic semesters purchased for Physics w/Landry

Thing #2-  Purchased generic semesters for ASL 2, Biology, and Adobe Photoshop

And I also purchased an online class for me!!!  Homeschool Homestead.

Landry Academy has these "Groups"  for adults that meet twice a month for a year.  They are a good price if you get in on them early. (I only paid $48, but it went up today to $58)  We only have an acre, but I am fairly rural with few restrictions and have always wanted to have a substantial garden, bees, and chickens.  Maybe I will learn more about that with this class.  I am excited to take a class for myself.  Other than conferences, I have not taken classes on my own in forever.

This is an ongoing (yearly membership) group for homeschooling families who are "homesteading" or are thinking about "homesteading."  (On a first-come-first-served basis.)

You'll receive ongoing support, ideas, encouragement, know-how, etc. and be able to virtually tour other homeschool homesteads!

We will cover topics such as:

- Gardening

- Canning, freezing and preserving food (apple

sauce, peaches, corn, beans, jellies, salsa, etc....)

- Raising livestock from chickens to cows (and everything in between)

- Raising dairy cows and goats

- Pickling and sauerkraut

- Cheese and yogurt making

- Soap making

- Candle making

- Homemade cleaners and household products

- Pasta, bread and sourdough bread making

- Farmers markets - buying and selling

- Herbs and dried flowers

- Maple syruping

- Bee keeping / honey making

- Sewing/ crafting

- And much more

DS is in AP Computer Science and AP Human Geography through PA Homeschoolers. DD is also in AP Human Geography. I want to sign her up for one more class, but she can't decide what to take yet. 

ETA - DD decided on Honors English II with Blue Tent, so she is now enrolled in that. They are also continuing French next year with Mr. G. which they love. 

Rising 10th grade daughter:

Lukeion 2

Pre-Ap English Comp at Aim -haven't heard from our application yet

AP Psych - haven't heard back

AP US Government and Politics

Rising 8th grade son:

Blue Tent Honors English 1

I have my #2 signed up for Latin 2 and Ancient Lit. with Lukeion, AP Geography with PA Homeschoolers, and Algebra II with Derek Owens.  I am considering AP English next year for 10th grade with Maya Inspektor so I will be all ears to see how you like it.

You absolutely cannot go wrong with Maya Inspektor teaching your child English or Literature.  She is awesome.  DS also really enjoyed the AP Human Geography class with Dr. Gillespie last year.  It sparked an interest in what is going on in the world around him.  He also told me that he uses things he learned in that class everyday.

I've got Ds in Maya Inspector's Ap Language and finally he made the decision to go ahead with Lukeion Latin 3.  That's probably our limit for online classes, though we are considering a local Chemistry class.

ETA:  Can I say that it is a pet peeve of mine having to decide all of this so far in advance........

ETA:  Can I say that it is a pet peeve of mine having to decide all of this so far in advance........

I agree, but at least it is giving me something to do during our 18 billionth ice storm warning of the winter. :-( Well...at least until our power goes out...

AP English Language with Kathryn Walker (PA Homeschoolers)

AP Chemistry (PA Homeschoolers)

Now I'm looking at Derek Owens Precalculus. I'd rather my son not self-study for that course, and I am just not going to have the time to do it justice.

Seems like quite a few are taking advantage of Blue Tent next year, they are almost full for English I and II.  DD is signed up for Honors English I.  I'm thrilled with the responses I've gotten from the teacher so far.  I was looking at Laurel Tree after all the recommendations here on the board, but I can't take the chance that the class will be cancelled, especially when I wish them the best in that endeavor.   :)

DD also opted out of Latin for next year, she's taking French I with VPS, and Algebra II with Jann in TX.

Yes, I hate it too.  I had to register mine for some of their slots in January, which meant that I had to be pretty much settled on our plans before Christmas.  Thinking that far ahead is hard, and plunking down deposits right after Christmas is tough.

I have one in Omnibus with VPSA and Lukeion Research Writing, and one in VPSA Latin 2, VPSA Art 1, and a local history/lit class.  Thankfully dual enrollment registration for fall doesn't start until April.

ETA: Can I say that it is a pet peeve of mine having to decide all of this so far in advance........

See, I'm totally used to deciding on classes in March. My two older kids had to submit their course choices at this time every year in high school. It's all part of the rhythm of the academic year to me :)

Seems like quite a few are taking advantage of Blue Tent next year, they are almost full for English I and II.  DD is signed up for Honors English I.  I'm thrilled with the responses I've gotten from the teacher so far.  I was looking at Laurel Tree after all the recommendations here on the board, but I can't take the chance that the class will be cancelled, especially when I wish them the best in that endeavor.   :)

This was us too. I was ready to sign up for Laurel Tree after reading the great reviews here and because writing was what I most wanted to outsource, but I just couldn't take the risk that the class would cancel and it would be too late to get into something else that we really wanted. 

I think Laurel Tree's loss has been Blue Tent's gain this year.  ;)

I've signed dd15 up for AP Chem and AP Spanish with PAHsers. 

I'm also going to sign up for WriteGuide next year, which she'll share with dd13, but I won't actually do it till later.

For 12th grade, I will probably sign her up for AP Lang, and thinking strongly of Maya Inspektor's class from everything I've heard here!  Wow, there are going to be a lot of Hiver kids in her class next year!  How big are her classes, anyway?  Have y'all filled them up? ;)

why would Laurel Tree classes be cancelled? You all seem to know stuff I don't . I feel left out :(

C ~ This is my reply to another post. Dina :001_smile:

"I just corresponded with Rebekah last week and she is at a crossroads. She and her husband have one child and are trying for a second. IF they get pregnant BEFORE July she will NOT be teaching any classes. However, if she does not, she will teach a very small number."

C ~ This is my reply to another post. Dina :001_smile:

"I just corresponded with Rebekah last week and she is at a crossroads. She and her husband have one child and are trying for a second. IF they get pregnant BEFORE July she will NOT be teaching any classes. However, if she does not, she will teach a very small number."

Thank you. It didn't click that Rebekah was Laurel Tree... I think I was mixed up with Laurel Springs, which is a big school. 

My dd is signed up for Lukeion Latin 2.  I am going to sign my son up for AP Calc AB with Mr.Lactot through PA Homeschoolers, and I am going to sign him up for AP Physics C when Mr. Lanctot gets the information up.  My son is taking AP Physics with him this year and is really enjoying it.  Mr. Lanctot called me over the weekend because I had e-mailed him with some question regarding AP Physics C and he thought it would be best to answer them over the phone :001_smile: .  I am so happy he will be offering this class next year.  I REALLY want ds to take Maya Inspektor's class.  I am a bit hesitant about ds taking 3 AP classes, but Mr. Lanctot feels that ds will have an easy time with Physics C because ds is doing well in Physics B, and much of the material will be review.  Any words of wisdom?

I can't remember whose post I saw recommending Blue Tent English, but I am so thankful I came across it!  We live in a rural area with not great internet, so doing "live" classes is tough.  I was feeling stress of teaching literary analysis and composition and these look perfect for our needs.

I signed dd up for Blue Tent Honors English I next year and hope it was the right choice.  She's awfully shy, so we'll see how it goes.

Paula

My dd is signed up for Lukeion Latin 2.  I am going to sign my son up for AP Calc AB with Mr.Lactot through PA Homeschoolers, and I am going to sign him up for AP Physics C when Mr. Lanctot gets the information up.  My son is taking AP Physics with him this year and is really enjoying it.  Mr. Lanctot called me over the weekend because I had e-mailed him with some question regarding AP Physics C and he thought it would be best to answer them over the phone :001_smile: .  I am so happy he will be offering this class next year.  I REALLY want ds to take Maya Inspektor's class.  I am a bit hesitant about ds taking 3 AP classes, but Mr. Lanctot feels that ds will have an easy time with Physics C because ds is doing well in Physics B, and much of the material will be review.  Any words of wisdom?

Michelle, may I ask how you like the Derek Owens Precalculus class? You can send me a pm if need be. Thanks so much.

Michelle, may I ask how you like the Derek Owens Precalculus class? You can send me a pm if need be. Thanks so much.

I thought I would answer this so everyone could see.  Up until this year ds has used Saxon Math.  Last year he completed Saxon Advanced Math through lesson 90, but after that he was struggling.  I decided to have him take pre-calculus to make certain he was solid in it before calculus.  I think the Derek Owens class has been mostly review for him, but I also think it has helped him to solidify his math skills. 

What I really like about the class is that all homework and exams are graded and returned very quickly.  Ds scans the homework/tests into a pdf file and submits his work.  The work is returned in the same manner.  In the upper levels of math, I would often mark an answer wrong when it was just written in a different way (I am NOT a mathy person...LOL!).  Although ds has not had any questions yet, I would imagine those would be answered in a timely manner as well.

I also appreciate that at any time you can look at the grade book and see how much of the course is completed, as well as the grades. 

Another aspect I like is that you pay for the class monthly.  You can do this online through Paypal.  Very easy!

The only aspect I do not like is that it is self-paced.  My ds operates MUCH better with FIRM deadlines.  But the flexibility may be a positive for some.  There is a syllabus that the student follows, but the class is set up so that you can begin/end in any month and take as long as you need.  This is where it is nice to pay monthly.  If your child is a sppedy worker, he or she can complete the class early and save you some money. 

Hope this helps! 

Some of you mentioned that you have registered for PAH AP Human Geography.  My daughter applied last Thursday and received a "Thank You" reply that night, but when will we find out if she was accepted into the class?

I emailed the teacher before submitting the applications and she said they could take the class and all that was needed to enroll was to submit the applications.  The twins submitted the applications, but we never received a reply to the application. It was just assumed they were accepted. Have you contacted the teacher? 

I emailed the teacher before submitting the applications and she said they could take the class and all that was needed to enroll was to submit the applications.  The twins submitted the applications, but we never received a reply to the application. It was just assumed they were accepted. Have you contacted the teacher? 

The application process seems to vary. For AP English Language last year, ds filled out an application and included a sample of his writing. He received an acceptance email from the teacher and I paid for the class. This year, he had a shortened application for the AP English Literature class because he was returning to the same teacher. We filled that out, and then paid for both that class and Dr. Richman's AP Macroeconomics course. Dr. Richman takes all juniors and seniors until the class is full, so there is no communication from him. Classes like the AP US and European history classes usually require the approval of the application by the teacher.

The application process seems to vary. For AP English Language last year, ds filled out an application and included a sample of his writing. He received an acceptance email from the teacher and I paid for the class. This year, he had a shortened application for the AP English Literature class because he was returning to the same teacher. We filled that out, and then paid for both that class and Dr. Richman's AP Macroeconomics course. Dr. Richman takes all juniors and seniors until the class is full, so there is no communication from him. Classes like the AP US and European history classes usually require the approval of the application by the teacher.

Does Dr. Richman's class fill up? I understood from the website that he took all interested juniors and seniors, and because of that I was waiting to enroll ds since I am shelling out tuition for so many other courses right now. But I don't want to get closed out.

I agree.  For the AP Computer Science class my son had to submit an application and wait to hear back from the teacher before he was accepted and could enroll. For Human Geography it seems to be the opposite. The application is filled out after acceptance and is more of a fact-gathering document and a way to introduce yourself to the teacher. 

Does Dr. Richman's class fill up? I understood from the website that he took all interested juniors and seniors, and because of that I was waiting to enroll ds since I am shelling out tuition for so many other courses right now. But I don't want to get closed out.

No -- at least in the past, he has taken anyone who signs up by the deadline.  I don't see that that has changed. I think I will have two in that class next year.

I am surprised that PAH will let kids take Physics C concurrently with Calc AB. Here Calc is a prerequisite for the course, and you need Calc 2 (BC) for the second semester.   My son is taking it now at the CC and doing AP prep at home and he uses lots and lots of calculus.