Menu

10yrs old child

happycc

My daughter has these issues what is the best way to deal with them:

skips whole lines in reading

dropping endings of words

robotic reading-monotone, soft voice, mumbles

mixes letters/sounds out of order sometimes

when you ask her questions ---she gives very short one word answers and that is it. She doesnt elaborate. 

I thought perhaps a speech issue at first then had her evaluated and said she was fine  but have her checked out of either mental health or learning disability. 

You might get her eyes checked just to make sure it's not a physical vision problem causing the vision symptoms.  COVD is where you find a developmental optometrist.

For the rest, since she's had the SLP eval, you're down to a psychologist.  (neuropsychologist, whatever you find)  There are too many iterations and possibilities within that list for somebody to guess.  (dyslexia, spectrum, etc.)  Do you have friends you can talk with to find the name of a good one or a ped to ask?  Sometimes the ps will do evals.  

With the skipping lines and dropping portions of words, I'd second the motion for a developmental eye exam from a COVD doctor to see if she has ocular motor issues. If she is very quiet, mumbles, and mixes up sounds, she may have some issues with phonemic awareness.. She might not be certain of the sounds in words.  Your best bet would probably be a neuropsychological evaluation to test for neurological processing issues, phonemic awareness, or other learning disabilities. 

How is her schooling otherwise?  Is it primarily or only a problem with reading?  If it's isolated, you might be able to get away with a reading program like Lexia Reading (A Rosetta Stone Company), to build a solid foundation of reading skills for her. If she has ocular motor deficits, you'd want to get those addressed because they will interfere with reading even if she is taught how to read.

Hope that helps!

We had her evaluated at Cal State Hayward Speech and Language clinic recently.

She was tested at Regional Center years ago to not have developmental disability when she was five years old. 

Both have stated 1) emotional issue 2) learning disabilities. 

We have used All about spelling and that stopped when baby got mobile. We used WWE/FLL and now Writing Tales as WWE3 got to be too hard. Rightstart Math and Singapore. I used Phonics Pathways when I first took her home as well as Handwriting Without Tears. She does Dreambox and Study Island and Zingy. She was in RTI through our homeschool charter school last year but she tested into basic in math and ELA last year and no longer qualified. They did not test her writing though...and they would have found something off. They have no idea how much I worked her and it was ridiculous. When she was in regular PS, she was in RTI as well and worked one phonetics and stuff like that. She came out of first grade knowing the sounds of most of the letters but had no idea what all the shapes were, days of the week, months of the year, no concept of the calendar. With Rightstart B and FLL1 and 2 we remedied most of that. 

Lots and lots of overteaching! Still yet she skips whole lines, and drops works like a, the, an and endings of words. She reads fine albeit robotlike and monotone and mumbling but of course if you drop stuff or skip stuff you will lose the comprehension of whatever you are reading I would assume. Her handwriting, spacing is at looks like a 2nd grader. I have started her on typing pals and she is near finished and she still hunts and pecks. 

She has progressed immensely but still want to keep refining and improving things for her. We are now using Rewards with her and still see how much remedial materials she still needs despite Phonics Pathways, AAS, FLL/WWE, Rightstart, HWT...I was hoping with consistent use of the other challenging stuff we could overcome whatever issues but there it still flares out. 

Now that our funds have improved, I can spend a bit more on remedial materials for her. 

Nonsense words!

Unless you use nonsense words, students trained with sight words and other whole language practices in schools will continue to skip words and make those type of mistakes even after normal phonics remediation.

I would try a solid month of just working on word lists and syllables in isolation and nonsense words, no outside reading whatsoever. Try this before investing in any program, you can use some of the resources on my how to tutor page and Don Potter's page for good phonics programs with word lists. One good one like this that is on Don's page but not mine is the Hegge Kirk Kirk drills, they are not in word families. Word families can also cause some reversion to guessing and skipping habits.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/howtotutor.html

http://www.donpotter.net/pdf/remedial_reading_drills.pdf

On the typing, my dd did the hunt and peck thing too, and the more we tried to push typing the worse it got.  She was getting entrenched with it AND her handwriting was bad, which left me worried she'd have neither method, ack.  That's when I did some googling about typing and dyslexia and found the Dvorak keyboard layout.  It's a simple toggle, and with some searching you can find online lessons for it.  They can't hunt and peck, because of course their keyboard won't be labeled for it.  I found a google image of a Dvorak keyboard and printed that and put in front of her the first few lessons.  So even then she wasn't hunting and pecking but had to use her mind's visualization.  Dvorak eliminates the midline crossing and extra movements up and down.  I set up a user account on the computer and changed the settings for it to Dvorak and locked it with a password so she HAD to use Dvorak.  Then I gave her an email acct (which I hadn't up to that point) so she'd WANT to.  Oh, and I paid her very, very well for progress.  We used the Mavis Beacon typing lessons, but that's for mac. If you're on windows, try googling online for free lessons.  For us, that change to Dvorak was huge.  She's never going to be a super fast typing because of the motor control, but she's at least functional (in the 40+ wpm range).  

Has she had a full psychological eval to explore the learning disabilities?  Maybe that would give you more info on how to target your remediation?  The psych will look at motor control, working memory, all sorts of things.  

Btw, some of what you're describing with the tracking, losing her place, issues with spacing her letters, etc. can be a developmental vision problem.  You find a developmental optometrist through COVD.org.  That's another thing we had to do.  

LizB, those Kirk drills turn out to be just what I think we need right now!  I'm trying to dig in with LIPS and get it more applied like that (vertical path, apply just a few letters/sounds to basic cvc words and stay at that level till it clicks).  The Kirk drills will make it easy.  Fabulous.

LizB, those Kirk drills turn out to be just what I think we need right now! I'm trying to dig in with LIPS and get it more applied like that (vertical path, apply just a few letters/sounds to basic cvc words and stay at that level till it clicks). The Kirk drills will make it easy. Fabulous.

Great!!

The price is right, too! :)

Especially if you have a laser printer, but even with ink jet, not too bad. I print a ton of stuff between my kids, my remedial students, and my phonics and spelling co-op classes. I love our laser printer. It works out to less than 1 cent per page in ink costs, I buy remeanufactured ink. We have had it for at least 4 years, it is a workhorse.

Great!!

The price is right, too! :)

Especially if you have a laser printer, but even with ink jet, not too bad. I print a ton of stuff between my kids, my remedial students, and my phonics and spelling co-op classes. I love our laser printer. It works out to less than 1 cent per page in ink costs, I buy remeanufactured ink. We have had it for at least 4 years, it is a workhorse.

Yup, I was debating whether I'd print and bind or throw on the iPad.  I'd rather it were printed and spiral bound, so I could flip to a page/list and mark with a flag or make pencil marks to know where we are and how words are going.  

You know, just for your trivia, I'm trying to type words into Quizlet to make flashcards and games for fluency.  Have you tried Quizlet?  You can log into the account and app on a device (iPhone, iPad, whatever), download the decks, and then have the ability to do all kinds of games with the words.  (spelling, matching, etc.).  It will also read the words on the flashcards, even in another language.  He enjoys the games so far with the whopping 5 words we tried it with.