Menu

Would you bring schoolwork on this vacation?

HejKatt

We're planning to visit DH's parents in Sweden for a month.   This is the scenario:

- They live in a small town with few amenities (small grocery store, post office) within walking distance. A bigger city with a library is 20 mins away. Stockholm is an 1.25 h train ride away. 

- They speak English, but are much more comfortable with Swedish.  All media in the house is in Swedish. I can guess my way through simple Swedish sentences, my dc know a smattering of words. 

- There are few families with children in the neighborhood; also, children would be in school during the time we visit.

- There are lovely forest trails nearby. Weather-wise, it should be spring weather - good chance of rain, temperatures between 50-60F. 

When I'm optimistic, I look at the trip as a time to reconnect with his family as well as a language/cultural immersion. I can imagine my dc picking up the language and getting mega-doses of Waldorf nature study in a sylvan environment.  

When I'm pessimistic, I imagine my dc bouncing off the walls and whining because they don't understand the language, have nothing to do and have no friends to play with.  If I send them outdoors, they will return within 10 minutes because they aren't used to exploring by themselves.  Our travel will be limited because DD is too heavy to carry, but too young to keep up with us (we plan to take public transport throughout the trip).

Sadly, the latter seems more likely. DH tried to remember what he did at their ages, and it was mostly playing with friends. DH's parents still have some of his old toys in the attic, but not many.  So I'm wondering if I should bring along some schoolwork - it could add normalcy in a foreign environment, keep them occupied, maybe even help them remember what we covered this year  :tongue_smilie: . Or look for some pertinent activities, e.g. do a unit on Vikings, find nature guides for plants/animals in the north, i.e. school-ish, but not too structured (drawbacks: I would have to spend extra time planning those activities now, and I'm not sure I can find a whole month's worth of activities). 

I guess the question is how unstructured would I dare to be, when the fallback options seem so scarce, and I want to avoid bothering DH's family. Any ideas? 

How would you feel about the children attending some school with cousins or friends as a cultural experience (although your 3yo might be a bit young for this)? 

This is what a friend of ours did when they went to visit family in the Netherlands and it went fantastically well (the youngest was 7 though and the older child 10) - the kids enjoyed the experience and picked up a huge amount of the language....and decided that they preferred to be homeschooled.

Otherwise I'd plan for some informal school and educational dvd's to keep them busy.  (Magic School Bus, Carmen Sandiego, Liberty Kids etc. also have unit studies you could use).

Attending some school if possible would be good.

See if there is an after school sports program to join

If my dc were going to have long hours in a somewhat isolated place, I'd probably have to admit that even with daily hikes I'd need bring some school with me.

You could bring your regular stuff

Ideally, you could plan a great unit study that would include many unique features of the area you could get to by whatever transit you had available.

You could choose literature related to the area/country and have novel studies.

I think planning nature study in the area is definitely a good idea, but I'd plan on supplementing that with a unit study or literature study or some plain old stuff you wanted to keep up.

I'd probably over plan, while still bringing as little stuff as possible to go with the plan. If I had too much planned not doing it all is better than relatives being frustrated with my presence.

I'd do light school, plan on, say, 10 hours a week of math, language arts and whatever your family considers staples. for many families that would be about a half workload. I'd also try to plan a few structured activities utilizing the environment available, so a unit study on nature, a unit study on vikings, maybe a unit study on swedish history, whatever your interests are, but keep it fun and informal.

also, some extra literature in english may be a big help depending on the amount of english media available at the library.

if the kids end up having a blast on their own, drop the unit studies without guilt, they'll be learning all sorts of things by being there. but at least you'll have something prepared if it is more dull for them than hoped

In addition to what loesje2200 said, you could also do a tie-in to American history -- there were 3 waves of Swedish immigrants to the US...the first wave it was move or die (they made bread out of lichen, moss and tree bark).  Sweden lost about half of it's population during those immigration waves in the 1800's.  

For 4.5 weeks, we'd bring minimal school (math, something to read), and then with your children's ages I think a lap-book would be pretty perfect.

I would not bring school work - but would bring some books and DVDS. I'd probably try to do a study on Sweden before we went there, and then use the time there to reconnect with family and explore Sweden as much as possible. I would bring a stroller for the 3 year old, and explore. It sounds like a wonderful opportunity!

If I were you, I'd make it all about learning Swedish.  Look for worksheets, vocabulary lessons, easy readers, etc. to use when they are bored.  Let them watch Swedish kids' shows on TV. Have them each keep a simple journal in Swedish (3 year old can just draw and your dh can write Swedish words to go with it; 7 year old can draw and someone can write simple sentences for him to copy.) Encourage your inlaws read them stories and play games with them.  The kids might surprise you.  I remember having similar worries about staying with older friends in Germany with my six kids.  We weren't there half an hour when youngest dd (maybe 5 at the time) came up and told me in German that she was hungry.  She knew she wouldn't get any sympathy if our hosts didn't understand her.  The kids LOVED hiking in the woods and playing German games and watching soccer and eating yummy foods and trying their best to chat with our hosts.  They even surprised us by picking up the local dialect much better than dh and I  ever have managed to, and we lived there for a year!

I'd make it a vacation. I wouldn't bring curricula. I'd bring books to read and a few dvds for down time.

When we go on vacation somewhere new, we do learn about the place--so we go to museums and stuff like that, but it's LIFE, not SCHOOL.

The goal for us is to make them nearly indistinguishable--learning as a lifestyle. But not with curricula and not super-structured.

I had a similar opportunity when I was a child. I did attend the local school. Once the local kids knew where we were staying, they were very willing to play. They were interested in speaking in English and asking questions about America. Afterwards, I remained penpals with some of the girls.

I would, because my dd needs the review or she will forget stuff during long gaps.  I would at least bring some quick review worksheets.  I'd leave plenty of time to study local country stuff - storybooks/folklore, writing about new experiences, learning the local language, local geography/geology/wildlife/history/cultural stuff.  Compare and contrast exercises, math using the local currency / metrics, map reading, etc.

I'm wondering if I should bring along some schoolwork - it could add normalcy in a foreign environment, keep them occupied, maybe even help them remember what we covered this year  :tongue_smilie: .  

This would have been a big factor for me. At those ages, my kids were homebodies and did much better with a routine, and would have struggled greatly with such a long vacation no matter where it was. I would bring whatever I could to invoke some normalcy - a bit of schoolwork, favorite toys, and favorite books before bed. Yes, a pain to pack or ship, but well worth it for us. 

Honestly, a month in someone else's home, in a place where I don't speak the language, would be wearing on me, much less my kids. As much as I love the idea of constant exploration and learning through discovery, the reality is that we would need a certain amount of downtime. There would still be plenty of opportunities for museums, local attractions, meeting people, and so on. 

I'd consider school for the older one, depending on whether it would make life harder or easier with the 3-yr-old! 

Guest submarines

With a 7 and a 3 yo I'd enjoy the culture, nature, and toys. Someone said Playmobil? Yep! I love getting my kids special "vacation" Playmobil that would fire up their imagination. I'd get a medium set that would relate to their experiences--an airport, for example, and then add a new mini set every 3-4 days. Not only they will be happily occupied and learning through play, but also they'll have wonderful memories later on. "Remember, we played with this at Grandma's? In Sweden?" That's pretty neat.

They'll also get used to exploring on their own. Have you read "Children of the noisy village" yet?

No, I would not bring any schoolwork. The first week is quite difficult while the children adjust to the new time zone. I would bring movies to watch on the laptop. I would simply use paper and pencil to work on math and writing. You will have internet, yes? 

Since it's only a month in the spring with family, spend time exploring and taking pictures, and make a trip notebook when you get back.

DS was 7 when he went on his own with his dad to visit his gma overseas. I found some "fun" educational packets to send along and some fun math review sheets to add to it. Along with some new reading books from a series he liked. I wasn't there, but lots got used during down time. So maybe some fun stuff that has an educational spin to it.

If you don't want to take a laptop, could you take a tablet? You could download some videos and save them on a sd card to play as needed and you could download some fun apps for math review, etc. Or maybe a leappad (or the like) for the littlest?

Cool new journal (with drawing space)?

Oh and small toy sets would be good also (maybe some books to go with it)?

I would bring a little, knowing we might use it or we might not.  I'd bring some good books to read (probably would not assign work to go with them), some math worksheets JUST in case we get around to it (although probably we wouldn't), and then I'd put together my own set of worksheets on Sweden.  Just light work.  Maybe a map-making activity (of Sweden of course), and then something to help them learn about the history of Sweden, and lastly some fun little worksheets on the Swedish language.  (They could always work on learning numbers and simple phrases.)  If I did only one of the all of those we'd do a few projects that help us learn about Sweden.  (Also, if you have them do any reading, it would be fun to find literature based in Sweden.  (I can recommend some, depending on your children's ages.)

Oh also, journals!  We took a few long vacations during the school year with our kids, and if they did nothing else school-related, we at least required them to keep up a daily journey.

BTW, it sounds like you are going to be near where my daughter is right now!  She sure loves it there!

At 7 and 3, I would not clutter my luggage with 'school' materials. (Although I would bring favorite bedtime books, and a few books your 7 year old likes to read on his own.)  Do real math- maps, train tables, money exchange, math games while waiting for food at restaurants etc. Same with reading, spelling.  Go on treasure hunts for certain artists/items in museums, look for children's programs in art, check out the local science museum multiple times and go on rabbit trails etc. Keep a nice journal,  Have your children dictate their adventures to you, let them draw in it, and make sure it is large enough to paste menus, maps, post cards, stamps, tickets, photos,  etc.  The 7 year old might like to keep a poster board against the wall to  write down Swedish words with the English translation. Mom, Dad, Grandma, dog ,cat, library, train, etc.  He might also like to keep a notebook/journal of words/phrases with English translations.

Can you bring/buy/rent/borrow a stroller, or jogger (thinking for the trails)?

Thanks to all who replied! My plans are slowly coalescing - I really like the suggestions on how to cover culture, mapwork, history and Swedish because those get short shrift normally. To be honest, I've not really done those outside from reading books; now I have ideas on how to go about it. 

I'll also look into borrowing/buying an umbrella stroller there -  we're taking the train from the airport so it would be difficult to bring one and keep track of dc, the luggage and it.  

Now to think about toys/books which will fit into a backpack and hold up play value for a month..this will be interesting, to find the balance between too few and too many. DS especially likes to read continuously until a book is done, now he will have to make those books last. 

Thanks to all who replied! My plans are slowly coalescing - I really like the suggestions on how to cover culture, mapwork, history and Swedish because those get short shrift normally. To be honest, I've not really done those outside from reading books; now I have ideas on how to go about it. 

I'll also look into borrowing/buying an umbrella stroller there -  we're taking the train from the airport so it would be difficult to bring one and keep track of dc, the luggage and it.  

Now to think about toys/books which will fit into a backpack and hold up play value for a month..this will be interesting, to find the balance between too few and too many. DS especially likes to read continuously until a book is done, now he will have to make those books last. 

Kindle or other such device?

I actually would bring schoolwork.  Not a ton, but we do bring school to family visits and do an hour worth in the morning.  I think it helps us stay grounded.  But it so depends on your kids and routine and what is "school" in your home.

Definitely bring an e-reader for your ds who likes to read!

http://www.thelocal.se/discuss/index.php?showtopic=47624

The above gives suggestions where to buy inexpensive strollers. It also has lots of other info in English for visitors:

http://www.thelocal.se/20090626/20310

I agree with the Kindle/Tablet suggestion. The kids can play games, watch familiar films sometimes,  read etc when you think they are bouncing off the walls. I would bring open- ended toys/materials. Pattern blocks (or get them there),  pick up glue, crayons, watercolors, bubbles, etc there. You can also make playdough. Will the kitchen be available to you so you can bake with the children- muffins, bread etc? In Spring you can plant peas in pots to pretty up the outside. If you put them in right away, you will have 4 weeks to watch them grow. Science. :)

You have probably seen these while researching, but I'll post just in case:

http://www.thelocal.se/discuss/index.php?showtopic=47624

http://traveling-kids.blogspot.com/2011/02/10-fun-things-to-do-in-and-around.html

http://www.fodors.com/news/what-to-do-with-kids-in-stockholm-6697.html

FOr a 7 & 3yo?  I would not bring any school work, but I might consider putting the 7yo in the local school for part of the time.

To be honest, I probably wouldn;t even bring school work for my high schoolers. I'd schedule school for an extra month in the summer and squeeze every drop out of the experience instead. Again, I might sonsider having them attend the local school. I couldn't imagine going to a foreign country and staying inside just like we were at home.

I wouldn't bring many books, I'd BUY lots of Swedish children's books.  You can get the grandparents to read them.  Fun fun fun!

How do you expect things to be with your in-laws?  It could be that after a week or so you could do a lot of adventures with just your DS and leave your DD home with them.  Or you could all go out together.  2 kids and 3 or 4 adults is not too tough to manage.  Perhaps they have friends who could lend them a stroller while you are there - have you asked?

Have you asked about the local school (or dagis for your younger child as well)?  What a great opportunity to learn the language!

I would, because my dd needs the review or she will forget stuff during long gaps. I would at least bring some quick review worksheets. I'd leave plenty of time to study local country stuff - storybooks/folklore, writing about new experiences, learning the local language, local geography/geology/wildlife/history/cultural stuff. Compare and contrast exercises, math using the local currency / metrics, map reading, etc.

Seriously? You wouldn't be able to find outings and others things for them to simply enjoy?

Seriously? You wouldn't be able to find outings and others things for them to simply enjoy?

Did I say that?  What was the reason to attack me?

I have traveled with my kids and had all kinds of enjoyment.  If we spend a half hour to an hour a day applying what we've learned in an academic way, is that a crime?

We do learning every day.  It's part of who we are.  It's part of who I was before I had kids.  If you don't like it, that is your business.

As someone else said, a month away from home, especially staying in someone else's home, in a country in which we did not know the language and might not be able to get and about a whole lot would have been extremely stressful for my kids when they were those ages. That would have been especially true for my daughter, who was all about routine at that point in her life.

So, while I might have had lovely visions of taking nature walks and sending the kids out to play with the local children and bonding with relatives, my daughter would have had an extremely rough time with such a trip. She most definitely would NOT have enjoyed a month of unstructured time in an unfamiliar place.

That was about the age at which I instituted "summer school" at home, actually, because she (and later my son) was so miserable and miserable to have around without the structure and brain food that academics provided. On a trip like this, I would probably have taken materials so that we could have followed a routine similar to what we did during the summer at home: 30 minutes or so a day of "maintenance" work on math and maybe one other subject using colorful workbooks the kids picked out, themed read alouds and movies (We picked a theme each summer, but in this case I'd look for things that connected with where we were going.), an occasional hands-on project. (Since you'll be away from home, I'd stick with "flat" things for projects: coloring books, simple cut and paste, etc.)

My kids were always happier and more pleasant to be around when they had their daily intellectual inoculation. And that hour or so of school each day provided structure and routine, which they seemed to crave.

It wouldn't be about keeping their little noses to the academic grindstone, for me, but about taking into account their needs for structure and routine.

I'd also plan to get out every day, even if it's just for a walk.

And, if it turned out when we got there and got settled that we were all having too good a time experiencing the trip to worry about doing the schoolwork, I'd pack it into my suitcase and not think about it the rest of the trip.

But, yes, I would definitely have wanted to take things with me so that I was prepared either way.

This is what I was thinking. We'd take at least one laptop with us.

We just visited family for a month in Europe.  I brought some stuff for my 1st grader, and would definitely do it again.  I pretty much entirely brought printed out worksheets that didn't take much space or weigh much.

Realistically, it's unlikely you're going to spend every second exploring the woods and at museums.  There's only so much of such things little kids can handle.  Don't expect the 3 year old to be able to handle more than 1 thing a day, taking a couple hours.  At 3, my kids could/can handle 1 thing every OTHER day when we visit my parents.  And they live in London, so there's TONS to do.  But if I try to take them to a museum or cultural event every day, on day 3 it's total meltdown.  We do one day major activity/one day at the playground at the end of the block.  It's only this most recent trip that my oldest could handle something every day, and even that was overwhelming... don't even ask about the disastrous trip to Stonehendge where she sobbed the entire time.  The ENTIRE time.  A FULL DAY of sobbing, on multi-hour train rides and at one of the wonders of the world, IMO because of overstimulation from all the stuff we were doing.

And unless they have kids around often, it's unlikely there will be much for them to do when hanging around at home.  My kids watch A LOT of mindless TV when we're visiting my parents (we usually go for 3-7 weeks at a time).  The TV is on pretty much all day, which would never fly here and I admit it makes me kind of crazy.  But there's not really much else for them to do at my parents' apartment, and when they get bored they run up and down the apartment making a lot of noise, which is really obnoxious for the downstairs neighbors.  Having some worksheets to do offers some much needed down time and routine.  And it's certainly a lot less work for you, who will also be jet-lagged and stressed and tired, than being expected to come up with enriching, educational activities in someone else's home all day every day for a month.

Did I say that? What was the reason to attack me?

I have traveled with my kids and had all kinds of enjoyment. If we spend a half hour to an hour a day applying what we've learned in an academic way, is that a crime?

We do learning every day. It's part of who we are. It's part of who I was before I had kids. If you don't like it, that is your business.

I agree. You know you kids better than anyone. If they need to review a few worksheets for retention, then you do it, even if it's vacation.

I think your post was great! Use your destination to enhance learning? Who would argue with that?

And just because you wrote: "I'd leave plenty of time to study local country stuff - storybooks/folklore, writing about new experiences, learning the local language, local geography/geology/wildlife/history/cultural stuff. Compare and contrast exercises, math using the local currency / metrics, map reading, etc."

That doesn't mean that is all you'd do with your kids! Sheesh. Of course they'd have fun (and much of what you listed IS fun, for my kids) and do other things besides what you listed. The focus of the thread was schoolwork, not "list your complete itinerary for random people's approval."

Something I would actually NOT bring is too many books.  They are very heavy, and airplanes have strict weight allowances these days.  I let each child bring 2 favorite books, and put them in their carry-ons, and that's it.  Purchase cheap books there to have on hand.  Even if you and they can't read them, they can look at the illustrations.

But I would bring a couple workbooks for the older, and coloring books/activity books for the younger ones.  You can think of it not so much as "bringing school" but as bringing stuff to do while staying, long-term, in a place that might not have much for them to do during down-time.

Another thing... I don't know if Sweden is big on resale shops, but London totally is.  There's a charity shop on every corner, more or less.  I've gotten lots of cheap toys and books at the local Oxfam.  They provide something to play with while we're there, and are cheap enough that I don't mind just donating them back at the end of the trip.  Basically renting toys :)  When you stay someplace for a month, there's a lot of downtime, and unless your ILs are used to having children around, that downtime is going to be pretty boring for your kids and really not fillable by looking at maps and train tables and family stories.

My parents are also older, and not used to having kids around, and very used to living on their own, and though they LOVE their grandchildren and LOVE having them visit, they are not always very flexible about their schedule, and sometimes misremember what little kids are capable of ("We took you to museums every day when we went on vacation to Washington DC!"  "Yes, but I was 10.  She is 4.  She does not want to go to a museum every day.")  Depending on how proactive you want to be, walking the fine line between guest and mother, the more stuff you bring that will keep your kids quiet and out of the way while dinner is being prepared to be served 2 hours after your kids are used to eating, the better IMO.

I find it interesting that so may of you have suggested "dagis" or school with cousins. Going to school for the olderfor a day or two might be fine, but not for several days. And enrolling for a month when you are not residents isn't going to fly. Getting. The 3yearold into pre-school is going to be impossible. Pre-schools here are publicly funded and often (actually always) have a waiting list. Again someone who isn't a resident isn't going to get a place.

I would say see if there is an ĂƒÂ¶ppna fĂƒÂ¶rskolan where you are going to be. You will be able to bring the little one there.

Most 7year olds will get out of school at around 1 so your older kid should have kids to play with I the afternoons.

Yes, I don't think anyplace in the world lets non-residents on visitor visas enroll in the public schools for a month.  I'm sure they'd be allowed to visit for a day or two, but that would be up to the individual teacher and if it's a busy time of year the teacher might not even allow that.

It is a good idea to check local public libraries and community centers for classes and story hours.  I've taken preschoolers to those when visiting my parents.  The language barrier is tricker here, but it's still something that will kill some time and be interesting. 

I'd bring it, and then do schoolwork if the kids request it, or are going nuts and bouncing off the walls.  Like someone else said, there are only so many hours a day kids that age can walk the trails and go through museums. 

I don't know why there's such antipathy toward doing a bit of school here and there on a month-long trip.  Some kids do actually enjoy schoolwork and would be annoyed to give it up for a solid month.  

I suggested looking into the school aspect - because I have no idea what the particular community is like and if it would be feasible or not.  Where I live, foreign people can pay to attend public schools - if there is room.  I would consider it something like that.

FWIW, I am not sure how doing "homeschooling lite" would work with relatives who don't understand homeschooling, so I'd consider what the in-laws are like in my choices too.  Bringing a workbook for fun and having a schedule don't mean "homeschooling" to me, but I'd be attentive to how I framed it for the extended family.

I took the kids on a month-long trip to Europe at that age.  We visited lots of older relatives (only stayed in a hotel two nights) but only got to spend an afternoon or two with other kids.  We went to parks and on day trips.  The kids could understand other kids with no problems at all (at that age, there is enough gesturing to get along, and really how many words does it take to play hide and seek?)  They also got no end of joy out of the public transportation. We took a train from Bern to Vienna - I had no idea they had "playground" cars on the trains!

I wouldn't (didn't) take any schoolwork or books because we didn't check luggage once we quit having to bring diapers.  They got to bring what fit in their backpack and rolling suitcase that they could carry, which isn't much when you're three.

A second hand store is a great idea for a stroller, or even bikes, balls, jump-ropes, coloring books, etc.

Sounds like a great trip.