Menu

Bill Gothard: Who is shocked by this???

Heather in Neverland

I didn't want to sign in, but I think one of us here at WTM should post the threads re Gothard that have come up, so that people can see what is taught. It is my understanding that some of what was taught in the 70's and 80's was less extreme than what is currently taught--it all seems bogus to me (and I am one who asked about him in a thread a long time ago here).

I hope this results in charges being brought against Gothard (and everyone else involved, because he isn't the only one). It makes me nervous, though, for the people on Recovered Grace that they are saying all that they are but with no proof, KWIM? I don't doubt their stories in the least, but it seems to me that the fact that no one ever went to the police about him puts everyone in jeopardy of being charged with slander or libel or something.

I feel worse for the guy named Billy Boring.  Wouldn't you try to dress that up a bit, like William Aloysius Boring, Esquire?  Middle school must have been fun.

Smarty pants. I bet you were the kid in middle school who would have razzed poor Billy Boring about his name. :laugh:

All you have to do is type Gothard into the search bar of this forum and every old thread popped up. You will see Gothard, ATI, Duggar (we discussed a lot on the Duggar threads, especially if it says s/o Duggar)...it's also lumped in with Vision Forum, Philips, Pearl, etc.

Was this in response to my post? I just meant posting a comment on the article comment section with a link to our threads might be helpful to those reading the article. :001_smile: We have, for sure, talked about Gotherd here!! I was thinking esp of the first-hand accounts by ...oh gosh...faithmanor, maybe?

Not surprised.

I wonder what will happen to all these people who have put all their trust in him.

I'm afraid most will think this is some sort of smear campaign. This might make them even more ardent followers. After all, if you are being attacked by the Devil, you must be on the right path, right?!?

Was this in response to my post? I just meant posting a comment on the article comment section with a link to our threads might be helpful to those reading the article. :001_smile: We have, for sure, talked about Gotherd here!! I was thinking esp of the first-hand accounts by ...oh gosh...faithmanor, maybe?

There are first hand accounts within those threads. Faithmanor started the ones that say "ATI" part I and part II, I believe.

I'm afraid most will think this is some sort of smear campaign. This might make them even more ardent followers. After all, if you are being attacked by the Devil, you must be on the right path, right?!?

This may be how he will twist it. I sure hope there is concrete evidence, etc., so he cannot wiggle out of it and I hope those who were harmed have gotten help.

I read a few comments on the posted article.  that is EXACTLY what some are saying.  (and name calling the accusers and their supporters.)

I sort of feel sorry for them (but only sort-of) as that is a huge paradigm shift for them.  they think this guy is wonderful, but the accusations are such that if they are honest, they need to be objective and re-examine their perception of him.  then it becomes not just not trusting their own judgment about him, but they end up wondering what else have they been totally off-base on?"   it's a big deal. even questioning if these things are true, can turn the supporters whole outlook on life, especially on religion, caddywampus.  (especially if they have tied their faith to this guy.)

I attended a number of IBYC seminars when I was in high school in the 80s, and one of the principles that is iterated constantly in the seminars (and that bothered me then--it was not the only thing, just the one most relevant to this discussion) was the direction not to "take up offenses."  What this means is that if, for example, your sister is offended, wronged or abused by someone, you do not have a conflict with that person; only your sister does.  The conflict is between your sister and her offender, violator, abuser.  To put it in legal terms, you have no standing to take action against the offender.  It is like saying that I cannot sue Neighbor A for trespassing on Neighbor B's land.  And legally, that is true; but there is a big difference between legal standing and personal relationships, and many of the stories on the Recovering Grace website seem to show how this principle plays out in practice:  everyone "knew" or suspected various improprieties, but no one was willing to take up the abusee's offenses and stand up for her.  The abusee does not stand up for herself because Gothard and everyone else around her have manipulated her into thinking that it is her fault.   Even as a kid, I knew this was wrong and unBiblical, but it would never have occurred to me Gothard could use it to do so much damage.  

I attended a number of IBYC seminars when I was in high school in the 80s, and one of the principles that is iterated constantly in the seminars (and that bothered me then--it was not the only thing, just the one most relevant to this discussion) was the direction not to "take up offenses." What this means is that if, for example, your sister is offended, wronged or abused by someone, you do not have a conflict with that person; only your sister does. The conflict is between your sister and her offender, violator, abuser. To put it in legal terms, you have no standing to take action against the offender. It is like saying that I cannot sue Neighbor A for trespassing on Neighbor B's land. And legally, that is true; but there is a big difference between legal standing and personal relationships, and many of the stories on the Recovering Grace website seem to show how this principle plays out in practice: everyone "knew" or suspected various improprieties, but no one was willing to take up the abusee's offenses and stand up for her. The abusee does not stand up for herself because Gothard and everyone else around her have manipulated her into thinking that it is her fault. Even as a kid, I knew this was wrong and unBiblical, but it would never have occurred to me Gothard could use it to do so much damage.

Wow. This really makes sense. It sheds light on reasons why this went on for so long without being reported.

The first time I met him, as a teenager, he told me how he wanted me to do my hair the next time he saw me. So no, not surprised.

EW. Ew. EEEEWWWW.

I think that "they" should take Deb Pearl's stellar advice for marriage to a sexual offender. Allow the law of the land to unfold. Visit him in prison. When he's completed the sentence delivered by the law, accept him back lovingly in status and role.

That would keep things consistent with corporate culture.

I guessed before opening, do I get a prize?

When I was a kid the church we went to for awhile offered some classes/seminars similar to his views (Pentecostals) my mom was having none of it and we started attending another church.  Even my extremely traditional father was against the Gothard doctrine.  My dad never recovered (kind of jocking) from the Jimmy Swaggart thing.

This is what happens when people build their whole life situation around the teachings of one man. Men shouldn't be on pedestals, not Doug Phillips, Bill Gothard, Ken Ham, anyone. The only man people should be following, if they are Christians, is Jesus Christ. He is the only one who got it right. 

I read a few comments on the posted article.  that is EXACTLY what some are saying.  (and name calling the accusers and their supporters.)

I sort of feel sorry for them (but only sort-of) as that is a huge paradigm shift for them.  they think this guy is wonderful, but the accusations are such that if they are honest, they need to be objective and re-examine their perception of him.  then it becomes not just not trusting their own judgment about him, but they end up wondering what else have they been totally off-base on?"   it's a big deal. even questioning if these things are true, can turn the supporters whole outlook on life, especially on religion, caddywampus.  (especially if they have tied their faith to this guy.)

I would expect that his followers—especially those who have modeled their whole lives around his teachings—would go through something akin to the stages of grief, beginning with denial.