Menu

Trying out public school for my babies

Twinmom

I am putting my twins in public school in an IEP beginning next week. I have mixed feelings...hopeful, sad, excited, worried, tired. They are mainly excited. They will be half day, mainly in the EC classroom since they are behind in school and have complex special needs. Homeschooling is unworkable for us at the moment as my four children's special needs are overwhelming me and one of my kids is making it nearly impossible to educate the others. It is possible that I may need to place one or both of the older two as well, but we are not ready yet to make that call.

Scary to mom, feeling that I failed but knowing I didn't, happy because boys who once tested as having IQs in the 70s now test as 95 and 96! We've worked so hard on treatment over the last several years and it has finally paid off! I want to let them fly now but it is hard to let go. :(

We will see how it goes for the rest of this school year and then reevaluate in the fall. Got to get the two older kids straightened out, get some rest and get my head together before I could possibly teach them as a group. Praying this is the right decision!!

Scary to mom, feeling that I failed but knowing I didn't, happy because boys who once tested as having IQs in the 70s now test as 95 and 96! 

As a Special Ed teacher I can assure you that raising kids' IQ points by 20 is a HUGE success!!!  Way to go Mom!!!!

:party:

Best wishes for you all as you get things in order!

*hugs* I understand, I just put my 7 yo back in school which she is thrilled about. Starting the process today to enroll my dd13 in a school that specializes in high functioning autism and mental illness. It feels like defeat but I know I can't met her needs at home at this point, just remember you can always bring them back home later:)

My oldest went to high school after exclusively homeschooling her whole life. The decision to let her do it was the most gut-wrenching part. Actually sending her wasn't that bad. She's been there three years and is thriving.

My special needs child was toying with the idea of going to 8th grade next year. I got that familiar feeling of panic, but it was duller this time. He's decided against it for now.

It's hard, but your kids have a mom who will advocate for them and try anything to see them succeed. That matters a great deal in life. They're lucky.