Menu

Vocabulary From Classical Roots vs. English from the Roots Up...

Sue G in PA

Help me decide on a vocab. program for dd11 for 7th next year. I've heard good things about both from this board. What do you like about your preferred vocab. program? I know that WTM recommends Vocab. from Classical Roots. Any opinions would be appreciated. TIA! Oh, and anyone use the Vocab. from Class. Roots for younger grades? I saw they had lower grade books available.

Well, I can tell you a little about the lower grades. I have level 4 and level 6. Each has 16lessons, but only 12 are new, 4 are review lessons. Each lesson introduces 2 roots, presents them in 8-10 example words, has the dictionary entry for each then has 3 exercises: Synonyms (Mult choice), Meaning in Context (fill in), and Extend your Vocabulary (variety). None of these are very taxing.

There is a teachers guide with additional information, answers to exercises and an additional worksheet for each lesson. There is also a test booklet. You do not need the TG.

In my opinion, doing just the workbook isn't enough for the roots to stick. I make up index cards and quiz my kids throughout the year. I've also found that my 4th grader knows how to use all the words presented in book 4, so I don't have him do the worksheets (it would drive him nuts). We'll start book 6 soon, and even most of those words are familiar.

Because we are NOT workbook fans here. (lol)

We made EFTRU more of a game when the boys were younger:

- look at the root, try to think of words it might be in, and therefore what it might mean

- read about the root, and the words listed

- look up any words we thought of not listed, and see if they really do have that root or not

For younger kids, a game like Rummy Roots would most likely be very engaging. Warm regards, Lori D.

dd12 (7th) used Vocabulary From Classical Roots A this year and loved it! I had scheduled lessons for her, but she worked ahead in the book simply because she enjoyed the work! She's really liked the tools she gained that can help her decipher unfamiliar words in the future.

I've already bought VFCR B & C for next year!

I don't know about the lower levels. I've had good success with Wordly Wise for my younger dd when she was 2nd gr. This year she's been using Shurley English, which has vocabulary built-in, although it doesn't use/explain roots, etc. I may look into the lower levels of VFCR for next year.

• 1 year later...

We use VFCR and one thing dd and I both like about it is it gives all the principle parts of a root. It complements her Latin study. She enjoys word study generally.

EFTRU does not give the principle parts if I remember correctly.

And I really hope I'm using the correct "principle" here! My brain function is down with a cold.

Mary

it's merely easy filler for my 7th grader. I don't do games/flashcards - zippo. I'm sure he remembers some of it but we concentrate more on writing, Algebra, history and Bio & Chem. We do grammar the same way as vocab - spelling was totally dropped this year for the youngers. My 5th graders do Wordly Wise - no TE, no tests, no games ... just the basics. If they get a few words out of it - yay! They spend very little time on it ... we spend LOTS of time reading and writing though. And like Mary - I love words and word games like Scrabble - funny that I found word study by itself so boring ... Maybe that's my failure. Dunno!

Every once in a while, one of them will mention that they had a word in their lessons ... At this point in their academic careers - whatever on the separate vocab. I just can't get excited about vocab/spelling when they are fairly good readers and spellers naturally. Maybe I'll change my mind when they all do horrible on the SATS!

We've done both and I really like VFCR because it is a workbook format and it is not teacher intensive. My 7th grader also takes Latin so it is in addition to that but I've been pleased at the program thus far.

I don't like everything workbookish but for a few things, I find it helpful.

How teacher intensive is VFCR? We have used EFTRU, so I'm familiar with it, but I'm totally clueless with VFCR.

Thanks!

It hasn't been teacher intenstive for grade 4 but DD just uses the workbook and I check her answers. We discuss it for a few minutes, too. It takes her less than 30 minutes to get through a lesson and we do one lesson per week. You will probably go through two books in one year.

I'm going to try krenee's idea of flash cards to beef it up a bit.