Menu

R & S spelling users, a question

Kidlit

My 2nd grade, 8 year old dd is working through R & S grade 2 spelling. We've attempted AAS (which I love but cannot implement with all our other time-intensive curricula) and a few others (Spelling Workout, Sequential Spelling & Spelling Wisdom with my older dd), but so far I've been most pleased with R & S on terms of how thorough it is. However, this 2nd grade book is extremely easy for dd. I turned to the back and had her orally spell done of the last words, and she didn't miss a single one. I'm considering getting the grade 3 book and skipping the rest if the grade 2 book. My question is this: will she be missing anything vital in terms of understanding or rules if I do this? My 4th grade dd is doing the 4th grade book, and it's quite a bit more challenging for her, which may or may not be a function of their natural spelling ability--I'm not sure yet.

My experience:

There is a bit of a jump from the 3rd grade book to the 4th grade book. I strongly considered moving my oldest son up a level because he is a natural speller and the 3rd book was too easy. In the end I decided not to and I'm glad I did. He is now in the 6th book and it's been good for him. My second son was working about half a year ahead but when he got to the 4th book, it was too difficult so we dropped spelling for the rest of the year and picked it back up in fall. At that point he was ready for it and it was a good fit. He's been fine since.

If you moved on to the 3rd grade book now, I don't really think you would be missing anything vital, but keep in mind that it might get more challenging later and you might have to slow it down a bit. 

SeaConquest, it has been well over a year now since we've used SW (so the levels were easier, too), but it seemed much more like busy work to me. R & S seems to actually address actual rules and patterns. Again, though, it has been a long time since we've used SW.