Menu

looking for world history curriculum

robsiew

I'm looking for WORLD history program that is:

1.  Decidedly Christian (we use Apologia science and my oldest is going through Starting Points... I want a Christian viewpoint)

2.  Upper elementary (it's for my 4th and 5th grader next year)

3.  One year overview.  I do not want a 4 year rotation curriculum.

I am using America the Beautiful by Nottgrass with my dd11 this year and it's going well.  I wish they had an elementary world curriculum!  It would be exactly what I'm looking for!

Thanks for any ideas!

A Child's History of the World meets requirements 2 and 3, and Sonlight uses it in their elementary history. Maybe use the SL B+C teacher guide with it? 

I will check this out.  I did look at CHOW, but it on it's own isn't from a Christian perspective.  I really want something that will show God active throughout history, not leave Him out of His own story!  ;-)  The SL teachers guide may help with this.... thanks for taking the time to respond!

Check out Heart of Dakota Preparing. It fits all of your criteria. You can use your own math and language arts and your own science if you wanted to do so.

Thank you!  I'll check this out too.  I kind of wrote this off because it's a whole currculum and I'd likely just use the history portion.  Do you think it would still be worth the $$$ if only using that portion?  It does seem to fit very well my critieria though!  :-)

I bought the guide new and purchased the books used or plan on using the library. It's not been so bad that way. It also has GREAT resale value!

Were you able to find most of the books at the library?  We buy very few books.  I try to get as many as I can through the library.  Sometimes Christian based books are difficult to find though.

Were you able to find most of the books at the library?  We buy very few books.  I try to get as many as I can through the library.  Sometimes Christian based books are difficult to find though.

Here are all the books from the various Preparing components that I was able to find at our library:

All of the One Small Square books (Science)

Find the Constellations (science)

Columbus (science)

The 5,000 year old puzzle (independent history)

The Trojan Horse (independent history)

Lief the Lucky (independent history)

Pedro's Journal (independent history)

William Shakespeare and the Globe (independent history)

Peter the Great (independent history)

Minstrel in the Tower (independent history)

Aesop's Fables (extended history)

The Bronze Bow (extended history)

Adam of the Road (extended history)

The Door in the Wall (history read aloud)

The Shakespeare Stealer (extended history)

Twenty and Ten (history read aloud)

I'm using a mixture of the extended history books and the history read alouds as our read alouds for Preparing. Mainly because I could find more of the extended history books at the library than the other read alouds and because the normal history read alouds are quite a bit below our normal read aloud level and I knew that dd would be bored.

I was also going to suggested Preparing Hearts For his Glory. It meets all of your criteria and is an excellent program. You can easily use your own Math and/or LA. It would definitely be worth it to use the History, Science, and Bible. You would want to get the storytime books(Basic Package) as well as they tie into the History portion and you will want the SELF-STUDY DELUXE HISTORY PACKAGE books as they are used for the Independent history portion of the guide. Even if you choose to use a different LA you still might want to use the poetry. I would at least have the kids read and enjoy the poems even if you decide not to do the Creative Writing portion. I personally did not like the Lead Me to the Rock CD. As far as the library I would think you would want to at least buy the main History books(Economy package). The other books you may be able to find at your library some of them are fairly common. If you have a website for your library I would just search and see which books they have. :)

For 5th grade this year we did Mystery of History (which is decidedly Christian) along with Story of the World and the Usborne Encyclopedia of World History.  I set it up Sonlight style and am using many of the readers and read aloud books from Sonlight Core G.

I think it would be hard to do all of World History in one year but I think it would be do able to do 2 years with Mystery of History.  If I was not using Story of the World and the Usborne book I would easily be through the second book by the end of the year.  You can read 2-3 sections of Mystery of History in one shot easily.

Thank you everyone!  I appreciate all the input!  I think I will explore Preparing.  Our state conference is in a month and I know she comes to that.  I actually have Mystery of History, but again I'm just trying to give them a 1 year overview of world because I have American planned the next 2 year after that for them.  I have in mind what they will do in HS and I know they are going to get a TON of world history in HS so I'm not worried about them getting a lot of it now.

Thanks again!  I appreciate the time you all took to repsond!

Here are all the books from the various Preparing components that I was able to find at our library:

All of the One Small Square books (Science)

Find the Constellations (science)

Columbus (science)

The 5,000 year old puzzle (independent history)

The Trojan Horse (independent history)

Lief the Lucky (independent history)

Pedro's Journal (independent history)

William Shakespeare and the Globe (independent history)

Peter the Great (independent history)

Minstrel in the Tower (independent history)

Aesop's Fables (extended history)

The Bronze Bow (extended history)

Adam of the Road (extended history)

The Door in the Wall (history read aloud)

The Shakespeare Stealer (extended history)

Twenty and Ten (history read aloud)

I'm using a mixture of the extended history books and the history read alouds as our read alouds for Preparing. Mainly because I could find more of the extended history books at the library than the other read alouds and because the normal history read alouds are quite a bit below our normal read aloud level and I knew that dd would be bored.

Thank you very much for this list Chelly!  It helps to see what will be available.  Most of these books I've read with my olders and I know our library has.  I'm thinking the history and science will be a good fit for us... likely will add in poetry as someone later suggests.