Menu

Saxon Math 5/4 Supplemental Resources?

mommy123

We are planning to use Saxon Homeschool Math 5/4, 3rd Edition next year.  

Have you used any of these resources?  Did you find it helpful or necessary?  What did you like or not like about it?

Thanks for your help!

I did not find it necessary when my dd was in 4th. She actually did better with her lessons when we went over the lessons together than when she used the Saxon dvd's. We started out with dvd's and quickly switched when she figured out that she could view the answers!😮 This year with TT, she has to type in her answer to see if she gets it right and then if she gets it wrong, she may get another chance before she can view the solution. She then works the problem out on her notebook page so I can track how she is doing. With any math DVD, you would want to keep watch with how they are progressing..... If they fall behind in an area and you are unaware, it gets messy with catching them up and filling in gaps.

I remember when my son and I were sick, I had her use the Saxon DVD for a couple days so she didn't miss her math lesson. That was the only time it was useful to me! For this age, I would save my money for something else you need..... Like more books!
😉

• 2 weeks later...

Most important thing I've found for supplement in Saxon 5/4 has been hands-on stuff. I get use out of my fraction cakes and fraction bars. Saxon can be kind of abstract, and some kids need the concrete materials to work with. Saxon has plenty of cut outs-but IMO, very flimsy and don't hold up well to use. We also get good use out of a good money kit and a clock even in 4th grade.

We are planning to use Saxon Homeschool Math 5/4, 3rd Edition next year.  

Have you used any of these resources?  Did you find it helpful or necessary?  What did you like or not like about it?

Thanks for your help!

I';m using the Dive cds with it. My 10 yo ds watches the lesson on the computer then does the problems. It's easier for him to do it this way since he doesn't comprehend things as well when he reads them. Plus it's faster.

• 4 weeks later...