Menu

s/o homeschool stress: Art journals

I didn't want this to get lost in the other thread.  I mentioned art journals as a way to relieve stress for moms.  This is such an enjoyable activity for both moms and kids that I wanted to share.  I just blogged about this and I wanted to also include some links for you.

My favorite go to for art journaling is Daisy Yellow art for art journaling 101.

And this page contains lots of beautiful photos for inspiration

Wonderful ideas & thanks so much for sharing.  Very inspiring, and I'd love to figure out how to incorporate it into our homeschool.  I'm not *nearly* as artsy as the examples I see, so I'd probably just have the kids do it ;)

(As far as stress relief, I have to admit I'm not creative enough for that to work for me...I used to relieve stress by working my way through a Calculus book!  Now I relieve stress by writing out Latin conjugations and declensions.  I'm super nerdy!!!  Funny how the same activity can be relaxing for one person but stressful for another!)

I absolutely LOVE the way you illustrate Scripture verses.  I've often wished I could do something similar, though I have to confess not primarily for artistic purposes, but mainly to help create a memory aid for the verse and its reference.  Yours are beautiful!

Wonderful ideas & thanks so much for sharing. Very inspiring, and I'd love to figure out how to incorporate it into our homeschool. I'm not *nearly* as artsy as the examples I see, so I'd probably just have the kids do it ;)

(As far as stress relief, I have to admit I'm not creative enough for that to work for me...I used to relieve stress by working my way through a Calculus book! Now I relieve stress by writing out Latin conjugations and declensions. I'm super nerdy!!! Funny how the same activity can be relaxing for one person but stressful for another!)

I think for this to be stress-relieving, I have to realize and remember it's all about the process, not the end result. :-)

Amy, those are beautiful.  I am so excited about trying it with scripture. Today, dd and I will be journaling using textures/prints dipped in paint and printed. We are using objects we have found around the house like caps to bottles, nuts (the tool kind), toy car wheels, bubble wrap, etc. 

Wonderful ideas & thanks so much for sharing.  Very inspiring, and I'd love to figure out how to incorporate it into our homeschool.  I'm not *nearly* as artsy as the examples I see, so I'd probably just have the kids do it ;)

(As far as stress relief, I have to admit I'm not creative enough for that to work for me...I used to relieve stress by working my way through a Calculus book!  Now I relieve stress by writing out Latin conjugations and declensions.  I'm super nerdy!!!  Funny how the same activity can be relaxing for one person but stressful for another!)

I am not artsy either, but I dabbled anyways and I loved it.  I don't care so much what it looks like; it is more of the process for me.  You might just try it once.

There are nice free ideas here for the truly fearful.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/artcat86/

Ed Emberly's Bean Buddies and especially the "feelings" pages in the Funprint book are good for first timers.

http://www.amazon.com/Emberleys-Complete-Funprint-Drawing-Book/dp/0316174483

and then moving onto the little illustration school books

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=illustration+school

I've seen these both at the bookstore and agree they are good for beginners. Totally Tangled is good, too, and easier and more useful than the sample would lead you to believe.

http://www.amazon.com/Totally-Tangled-Sandy-Steen-Bartholomew/dp/1574216716/ref=pd_sim_b_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0C5D4KZK5GPGEPRTR1A6