Menu

I think I have a 2E kid...test scores wonky...X posting!

Twinmom

My 12 year old son has always been an enigma. Wanna help me figure out what's going on? ;)

Bright, with an IQ around 127, he is distractible and often appears lazy (not sure if this fits, but it sure is how he looks!). He loves science, hates to write, seems to have some difficulties with math computation. A night owl, he struggles greatly with mornings and would prefer to sleep until noon. He was adopted at birth and has a genetic condition with medical issues rather than any learning or psychological side effects (Ectodermal Dysplasia). He was exposed to methamphetamines in utero, but the exposure was mild and sporadic. He can take FOREVER to complete his schoolwork...and I mean ALL day long. I have had him doing advanced coursework for a while, but his writing ability has held him back as has his apparent lack of motivation.

We just had him tested through the school district with the thought that perhaps he would qualify for AG classes and that a classroom environment might be more stimulating for him (he lives with three siblings with developmental issues). Testing revealed a surprise...almost all of his scores show him performing at least 1-2 years above grade level, but more than 15 points below his IQ, which qualifies him for special ed services instead of AG. In math computation and writing expression, he scored nearly 40 points below his IQ! He has been known to slack off on testing when he is not particularly interested, but he was pretty engaged that day. Testing in previous years has shown him to be above grade level in all subjects, so we have not been overly concerned. This testing, however, was the first complete psychological battery he has completed.

So, now I am left wondering...what's up with this kid? All the school will say is "specific learning disability" but won't diagnose. I'm leaning towards ADD...no "H" in this one! My husband is leaning towards lazy. He notes that DS doesn't want to do anything that requires real effort and is engaged only when he is excited by something. He's right, but I don't know if it is a character flaw or a disability.

What sort of testing should I seek from here? How do I motivate this kid? Does he need meds? None of these questions can be answered by the district, who is recommending enrollment in regular classes with accommodations and EC pull outs.

Gonna cross-post this on the special needs board as well...thanks for your input!

The math computation/writing thing makes me wonder if it is dyslexic/dysgraphia. I have very little experience others than working within alternative high schoolers who all fell into the categories of being called lazy, or bad, or broken, etc and mainly they had glitchy issues that were unidentified.

The dyslexic/dysgraphia one always amazed me at how far reaching it was. Often times it showed up much like your are describing with test results since very little was ever oral and always required reading. The frustration often left the kid appearing unmotivated or motivation quickly waned because of the struggle.

Again, I am no expert. It was just sounding similar.

So, now I am left wondering...what's up with this kid? All the school will say is "specific learning disability" but won't diagnose. I'm leaning towards ADD...no "H" in this one! My husband is leaning towards lazy. He notes that DS doesn't want to do anything that requires real effort and is engaged only when he is excited by something. He's right, but I don't know if it is a character flaw or a disability.

I don't have any experience with testing children, and I hope that you find some guidance, but I was diagnosed with ADD as an adult by two very competent shrinks (no H here either -- I'm the least hyperactive person you will ever meet; my ADHD husband and sister on the other hand....). I will agree with you that I still have no idea if it is really a character flaw in me vs. a disability, but ADD meds really do help me to focus. On the other hand, my understanding is that ADD meds (like Adderall, Dexedrine, etc.) will pretty much help anyone to focus, which is why they are so often abused. I'm not sure what your thoughts are on medication, but I thought I would share my experience.  

I was able to meet with the psychologist yesterday and she told me she suspects ADHD or another executive functioning disorder. She has referred us for further testing. We were thinking about putting him back in school but will table that discussion until we have some better answers.

I was able to meet with the psychologist yesterday and she told me she suspects ADHD or another executive functioning disorder. She has referred us for further testing. We were thinking about putting him back in school but will table that discussion until we have some better answers.

If you have the resources, I would recommend keeping him at home at least through 9th grade. So many of the kids I worked with were emotionally traumatized by the system and the viciousness of middle school kids. By 10th grade, my alternative school kids were much nicer to each other. It was as though a lightbulb had turned on for them that cool kid points didn't need to come from picking on someone else. Many of them were also getting a handle on their own lives and feeling less defensive and vulnerable so they lashed out less. Public school isn't a bad thing, but middle school was a little Lord-of-the-Flies and anyone who didn't fit was definitely brutalized. Getting the kids out of that emotionally scarred place was most of what we worked on in 9th grade.

Personally, if I had a kiddo who was successfully working 2 grade levels ahead at home in all subjects, I would not be paying attention to any one test done by the local public school. Your goal was to get him into AG classes. If you succeeded great. If you did not, then so be it. Whether he is lazy, ADD, or whatever flavor of the month diagnosis one can paste a label, the fact remains that you have a kiddo working two grade levels ahead. That means he, and you, are doing something right. I would not try to fix something that isn't broken.

I've pretty much decided that we are going to keep him home, pursue outside testing as I do see a problem that needs to be addressed and continue with our plan to have him attend a private Christian high school where he will be allowed to take college classes in high school. I feel better about addressing his problems privately at this point than I do in throwing him into middle school, even with an IEP. It's a nice school but middle school can be brutal and he doesn't want to go.

If you have the resources, I would recommend keeping him at home at least through 9th grade. So many of the kids I worked with were emotionally traumatized by the system and the viciousness of middle school kids. By 10th grade, my alternative school kids were much nicer to each other. It was as though a lightbulb had turned on for them that cool kid points didn't need to come from picking on someone else. Many of them were also getting a handle on their own lives and feeling less defensive and vulnerable so they lashed out less. Public school isn't a bad thing, but middle school was a little Lord-of-the-Flies and anyone who didn't fit was definitely brutalized. Getting the kids out of that emotionally scarred place was most of what we worked on in 9th grade.

Thanks for your reply! I got it before the IEP meeting and it really crystallized my thinking on the issue...helped me make my decision, for sure!

I would highly recommend having him evaluated for ADHD by a neuropsychologist... Given you have the other info already, you could probably get a small-spectrum evaluation that checks for inattentive ADHD.  Inattentive ADHD is rooted in a deficit of interest in 'boring' topics or things that are not engaging.. The brain is not stimulated enough to generate the brain chemicals to heighten interest and keep a child engaged.  Two books I'd recommend:

For working with your son, a book about ADHD coaching - The Disorganized Mind

And The Myth of Laziness because it is more likely than not that he is NOT "lazy" as much as his brain chemistry is not stimulated enough for him to maintain engaged attention.

Those are my initial thoughts, for what they're worth.  BTW, with my youngest, having medication made all the world of difference for him in being able to work up to his high potential and it really boosted his self-esteem to be able to complete his work well.

OH.. And reading your later post.. You might want to check out Marshall University's Online College Classes for High school Students.. My guys took many of their classes and had both finished their freshman year of college before they graduated from high school.  It's a great option for homeschooling and moving into advanced coursework, especially if a traditional classroom might be problematic.  Doing the classes at home allowed my guys to move to a higher level, get used to working from a syllabus, grading rubrics, etc., so that when they transitioned to the University the only NEW adjustment was the classroom environment itself.  They already knew how to handle all of the coursework for their college classes.