Menu

How do you like this first name? (baby names...)

Monica_in_Switzerland

My kids all have semi-old fashioned, relatively less popular names. 

For a boy, we are going to use James, even though it's pretty common, because my husband is set on it, and I don't mind it. 

For a girl, the only name on my long list of possibilities that DH didn't immediately reject was Margot.  Is it too "old lady" for a little girl?  He also only slightly frowned at Miriam and said he could live with it if necessary.  lol. 

I know bunches of Miriams. It gets shrunk to Miri a lot though.

I like Margaret better than Margo.

I like Margaret, but the French version is Marguerite, which is even too old fashioned for me, and I need a name that works in both languages. 

Love your siggie, btw.  That's about how our school runs as well...

I have never been fond of Margot, possibly because I know someone with that name who had an awful personality. I know a few Miriam's and in my area it isn't viewed as old fashioned at all.

What about something like Molly, it is old fashioned. Or one of those lovely old fashioned flower names like Daisy. Or my favourite, Joyce called Joy for short. If I ever have another girl I would call her Joyce. I haven't met anyone under 80 called Joyce and think it is such a shame that such a lovely name is disappearing.

I like them both - very classy.

Husband is a James.  He finds it hard to hold onto the full name (or to choose his preferred, slightly unusual, nickname) in the US.  He has to correct people who call him 'Jim'.  So that's something to think about.  It seems easier to hold onto 'James' in the UK.

L

Margot is cute. I was friends with a girl named Margot years ago, and yes, it works very well for French or English use. I love the name Miriam. I could never quite get over the name meaning, though.

Other names I like of that ilk: Naomi, Cecilia, Lydia (which I used for my daughter), Meg/Margaret, Elsie.

Guest submarines

The only similarity between Margot and Miriam is that they start with the same letter. And have an "a". And have an "r". They bring such vastly different images to me. I like them both.

Thanks for all the comments!  Just to give an idea, my other kids are Eliot, Ivy, and Roslyn. 

Margot is starting to grow on me, the more I think about it.  The other names that DH rejected from my list were:

Daphne (my fave... I've been trying to get him to ok it for four kids now...)

Fern

Tess or Tessa

Scarlett

Hazel

Joyce

Nora

Phyllis

Lucy

Vita

I love the name Margot. A lot.

Do not at all like the name Miriam. 

I agree! 

I think its because my dd has a charming friend called Margeaux, but I had a grumpy colleague called Miriam :).

James is a family name of my in-laws.  There are a few who go by James, but also Jim, Jake and Jaime.

Of the others on your list, I like Tessa.

I like Margot, I think it's cute. I would grow nicely from a sweet baby name to a classy adult name. Be prepared that if you're living in the US, though, depending on which area you're in and the people around you, she may have a few people call her Mar-got, or they may unthinkingly leave the T off her name entirely when writing it. (Hopefully only a few people would make those mistakes though, lol.)

I like Margot, I think it's cute. I would grow nicely from a sweet baby name to a classy adult name. Be prepared that if you're living in the US, though, depending on which area you're in and the people around you, she may have a few people call her Mar-got, or they may unthinkingly leave the T off her name entirely when writing it. (Hopefully only a few people would make those mistakes though, lol.)

My son's name gets misspelled all the time, as it's got several acceptable spellings and that doesn't bother me.  But my daughter Ivy's name just baffles people over here- how to spell, how to pronounce, etc, etc.  I love her name, but in retrospect, probably should have chosen something else for her.  I am trying to avoid the pronunciation problem this time around.  Misspellings are fine, as there are often multiple ways to spell a name, and then there are creative spellings as well...

Thanks for all the comments!  Just to give an idea, my other kids are Eliot, Ivy, and Roslyn. 

Margot is starting to grow on me, the more I think about it.  The other names that DH rejected from my list were:

Daphne (my fave... I've been trying to get him to ok it for four kids now...)...

I think Margot goes very nicely with the names of your other children. 

I loved Daphne too, but my husband wouldn't go for it.  Do you know what similar name he did like though?  Everyone in the family liked it and if we'd had another girl at the time, we would have used it.  But most people's first reaction is to hate it.  It's one of those that can grow on you (or not, LOL).  Dagny. 

What do you think about Stella?  I thought of it when I saw Scarlett on your list.  I like Stella a lot, too. 

Ivy is hard to spell and pronounce?  Is this only in Switzerland?  Because here I would think it would be very easy.  

No one in the US struggles with Ivy, just French speakers seem to not get it.  I hear a lot of Eeeeeveeee (two long e's) or ey-veee (long a then long e).  I always tell people it sounds like the French word garlic followed by the French word life.  LOL.  No one struggles with Roslyn, even though I have spelled it the American way, because at least the name Rosaline exists here.  And while I say "Roz-Lin", I don't mind at all the "Rose-Leen" that my DH and everyone else uses.  I think both are very pretty.  Only the mispronounced Ivy drives me nuts! 

I think Margot goes very nicely with the names of your other children. 

I loved Daphne too, but my husband wouldn't go for it.  Do you know what similar name he did like though?  Everyone in the family liked it and if we'd had another girl at the time, we would have used it.  But most people's first reaction is to hate it.  It's one of those that can grow on you (or not, LOL).  Dagny. 

What do you think about Stella?  I thought of it when I saw Scarlett on your list.  I like Stella a lot, too. 

Stella is nice!  I think I will have to let Dagny grow on me.  :-)  It sounds like "Dang me!" in my head.  lol

Thanks for all the comments! Just to give an idea, my other kids are Eliot, Ivy, and Roslyn.

Margot is starting to grow on me, the more I think about it. The other names that DH rejected from my list were:

Daphne (my fave... I've been trying to get him to ok it for four kids now...)

Fern

Tess or Tessa

Scarlett

Hazel

Joyce

Nora

Phyllis

Lucy

Vita

Love your style! Our top 3 for my daughter were Hazel, Nora, and Ivy. Went with Hazel. Margaret was an early contender (MIL's name) and I would have nicknamed it Margot or Greta. Fern and Tess are two that I floated and my DH shot down, too. Spoil sports. :p