Menu

Wyoming Catholic College?

Murphy101

One thing you may have already considered, but just in case...

Right now the school is not regionally accredited. Lack of regional accreditation can be a significant issue. There can be implications for federal financial aid such as Pell Grants and loans. Also, if the student decides to transfer their credits may be basically worthless. I've seen students in this situation and it can be a mess, so I strongly encourage everyone to look at this carefully.

You might want to look into PEAK. It is their summer experience program and it would give you a good feel.

Our Lady Seat of Wisdom in Canada is about 1/5 the cost and is an excellent, albeit small, Catholic college. They have (or at least they did when dd was there) reciprocity agreements with several Catholic schools like Christnedom where they can transfer and have their credits accepted.

But back to Wyoming Catholic, several people from our old parish were well connected with those starting it up and our priest there had nothing but great things to say about it. It was just outrageously expensive from our perspective.

I don't know what he plans to major in, but if he's interested in the outdoors being incorporated into the learning, he might want to check out Colorado College as well.  It's not Catholic, but just thought I'd mention it.   Dd was attracted to Wyoming Catholic as well because of their unique outdoors programs, but ultimately it didn't fit her needs.   It sounds like a great college and at 26K, including room and board, it's reasonably priced.  It may be that they'll have accreditation before he'd even graduate, but I'd check with their admissions on that.

I don't know what he plans to major in, but if he's interested in the outdoors being incorporated into the learning, he might want to check out Colorado College as well. It's not Catholic, but just thought I'd mention it. Dd was attracted to Wyoming Catholic as well because of their unique outdoors programs, but ultimately it didn't fit her needs. It sounds like a great college and at 26K, including room and board, it's reasonably priced. It may be that they'll have accreditation before he'd even graduate, but I'd check with their admissions on that.

Wow. We would have to have his older siblings pitch in to help send him to WCC! Colorado College isn't even in the realm of possibilities at $57k a year.

ETA: tho I admit their block system sounds attractive in many ways. :)

Did they lower their tuition? I thought when we looked a few yrs ago that the costs were closer to $40,000. I haven't looked at them since dd was a jr. Or I guess I could be totally confused (which is very probable.)

The website:

http://www.wyomingcatholiccollege.com/admissions/tuition-and-costs/index.aspx

$27k if you include outdoor equipment, much of which he already owns.

Considering that they don't accept any AP/CLEP or even college transfer credits, so there's no way to lessen the blow, that's going to be a major struggle for us to make happen. If it's where he needs to be, then somehow as a family we will help him make it happen. But it is going to require the entire family sacrifice a lot to make it happen.

• Like 1

I don't think they've lowered them, but if my memory is serving me well (highly doubtful) they were around 21K a few years ago.  I still think that they're one of the least expensive Catholic colleges in the US, but there are a great many I haven't researched.  8's suggestion on the one in Canada is good, or maybe an in-state state school with an active Catholic community would work.  No idea if it's of interest, but Deep Springs College in California is a tuition free 2-year college with lots of hands on outdoor type stuff.   How's that for being technical.  Don't forget to run the tuition calculators at each of these schools as larger families will qualify for aid even with higher incomes.  IOW the price you see may not be what you'd pay.   For reducing costs, community college with plans to transfer after two years also works.

I don't think they've lowered them, but if my memory is serving me well (highly doubtful) they were around 21K a few years ago. I still think that they're one of the least expensive Catholic colleges in the US, but there are a great many I haven't researched. 8's suggestion on the one in Canada is good, or maybe an in-state state school with an active Catholic community would work. No idea if it's of interest, but Deep Springs College in California is a tuition free 2-year college with lots of hands on outdoor type stuff. How's that for being technical. Don't forget to run the tuition calculators at each of these schools as larger families will qualify for aid even with higher incomes. IOW the price you see may not be what you'd pay. For reducing costs, community college with plans to transfer after two years also works.

I looked and it doesn't look like they lowered tuition, so I must have remembered incorrectly. No surprise there! I guess I must have lumped it in with good Catholic colleges are outrageously expensive stereotype.

I got my information from a Catholic homeschool curricula fair years ago, so after visiting several of the tables with college reps, my info could easily have been mixed up too. It shows what the range of college costs are like when I see 26 or 27K and think it's inexpensive. :tongue_smilie:

Ain't that the bitter truth of it.

Doing this debt free is going to be one heck of a rough ride. My oldest will likely get an associates from St Gregory debt free. (He starts there this summer.) My second oldest will probably get a small amount of debt (less than $10k) towards the last year of his degree, IF he sticks with a masters in aviation. (I think he will, but the whole world can change in 2-3 years. He plans to transfer to OSU next spring.) This son though is fairly adamant that if he can't attend a college that embraces both the outdoors and great books in their degree program, then he will join the army or air force. In his words, "I want to ride horseback to Mass with a pencil and paper for poetry writing in one hand and a rifle in the other and a great book and some MREs and a sketchpad or camera in my backpack for when I make camp. Are there any degrees or careers where doing that helps people? If so, just sign me up already. I don't really care where."

Gee. Yeah I'll just order that right up, son.

• Like 1

Doing this debt free is going to be one heck of a rough ride. My oldest will likely get an associates from St Gregory debt free. (He starts there this summer.) My second oldest will probably get a small amount of debt (less than $10k) towards the last year of his degree, IF he sticks with a masters in aviation. (I think he will, but the whole world can change in 2-3 years. He plans to transfer to OSU next spring.) This son though is fairly adamant that if he can't attend a college that embraces both the outdoors and great books in their degree program, then he will join the army or air force. In his words, "I want to ride horseback to Mass with a pencil and paper for poetry writing in one hand and a rifle in the other and a great book and some MREs and a sketchpad or camera in my backpack for when I make camp. Are there any degrees or careers where doing that helps people? If so, just sign me up already. I don't really care where."

Gee. Yeah I'll just order that right up, son.

LOL - Perhaps a copy of The Well-Educated Mind and encouragement to self-educate the great books part would make finding a college easier. : )

You may wish to consider Regis College, a Jesuit school in Denver.

We visited there last week.  It's a gem for liberal arts education.  It has great outdoor connections, with the mountains being so close by.

They are extremely generous with scholarships--when my DD got her acceptance letter they offered her $15K per year before we even did the FAFSA, and she has just a strong but not an outstanding record.  I believe that they offer significant need-based aid as well. 

The campus is beautiful.  It seemed that the instruction would be good.

They have daily mass in the chapel and weekly mass in the large chapel.