Menu

Best unheard of games

4KookieKids

... or at least, less common ones?

We like games in our house, and I've found a few that are really fun for my kids that are less well known, and am looking for more ideas!

So, beyond the more well known candy land, chutes and ladders, UNO, go fish, hungry hungry hippo, fishing, trouble (don't get me wrong -- my kids love all of those as well!), we really like some games like Qwirkle, Ricochet Robots, Imagine Iff..., and Othello (more well-known, I know, but usually not with the young crowd). Obviously, we modify them a little (primarily, we just don't keep score when playing with the littles), but they're still a lot of fun.

So what else have you guys found off the beaten path and enjoyed?

ZOOREKA! by Cranium Crackers is hands down the favorite game here. Mine also love Hullabalo by Cranium Crackers, too. Battleship...well-known but mine have all played since they were young. Chess, Apples to Apples Jr......

Ohh, this is good. I haven't heard of most of these! Well, battleship and blokus aside... :) But my 4 year old seems to think Blokus is more for making cool pictures than playing a game. While I'm totally cool with that, I fear we've lost pieces and will have to buy a new one when he actually is old enough to play it! :D

King of Tokyo, Takenoko, and Robo Rally are our current favourites.

ETA: I just realized you are talking about a 4yo. My 6yo plays the games I mentioned but he has had a lot of exposure to strategy games. For a 4yo I would recommend Loopin' Louie for pure fun (that all ages can play together).

Sneaky Snacky Squirrel is a huge hit with my kids. It's geared towards littles, but it's really cute.

We love Sneaky Snacky Squirrel. He loves Busy, Busy Airport and Rush Hour Jr.  I don't know what is considered unheard of either.  He plays Hi Ho Cherry-O, Jake and the Neverland Pirates board game, Find It tube thing where you look for stuff, and other stuff I can't think of right now.  We love games.

• 1 month later...

Sequence is fun. I have two older girls who can play the game and with my 4 year old, I just have her match her card to the board. She has actually won the game doing that with no strategy! Fun game.

We also like Set. My little ones likes to play along as well though she mainly just says "set" and nothing else.

HERE is a link to a site with a few good ideas for simple games for little ones. You can make these yourself.

All of mine like Roll-a-cise. Our version is a bit different than the one pictured on the page, but it works for us.

Alphabet Exercise is fun for everyone too. It totally counts as gym class too. ;)

Mancala is a simple game that little ones can play.

Sight Word Jenga is a good educational version of a standard game. I have done this with phonics sounds and math facts for my kids as well.

Kerplunk, Topple, Don't Break the Ice, Trouble...all of those are pretty common, but my kids still like them. They are hands on games that require a bit of coordination and skill.

Discovery Bottles are fun too. Not really a game, but still fun to make.

I-Spy Bottles are good way to keep kids busy. I use bigger containers, like snack containers from Sam's Club or old olive oil containers for this.

Pick It Up: A Fine Motor Skills Game Fun and useful.

Scavenger Hunts are games. It's a good excuse to go outside and do some nature study too.

• 9 months later...

Race to the Treasure! So simple but both my kids LOVE it.

Discovery Garden - Also been a very big hit with both.

Labyrinth - More my 6yo, but my little one gets the general idea and I think will be playing with us soon. She loses interest quickly now, but she's only 2.5!

6yo also loves Forbidden Island and Catan Jr. We got both when she was about 5.5 and she picked them up quickly.

Spot It!

Tsuro

Busytown

Snail's pace Race (This one: http://smile.amazon.com/Ravensburger-Snails-Pace-Race-Childrens/dp/B004KZ8P2Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424376537&sr=8-1&keywords=Snail%27s+Pace+race)

The card game HISSS!

Haba Orchard

a picture domino set

We have Candyland and used to have Chutes and Ladders but neither gets played very often.