Menu

Home2Teach reviews??

mytwomonkeys

Has anyone used these online writing courses? I would like reviews please.

My son is finishing up time4writing elementary paragraphs. I'm also going to sign him up for their elementary essays course. I'm looking at something for next year that we can use, and there are no other courses with time4writing at his age. He really loves this format though, as do I.

I was just wondering if anyone has used home2teach, as it seems like a good option for us as well.

TIA

• 2 months later...

My son recently finished his Let's Write Sentences class and we both liked it.  It is definitely geared towards younger kids and keeps the explanations simple.  In our case, less is more, so far he has had problems remembering grammar but what he learned in this class stuck.  

We found the class engaging and the teacher made sure everybody answered the questions.  Homework has to be done in a certain format which again works for us because my son is very non-chalant about following rules.  It is not onerous, i.e example for an exercise to correct punctuation, she wanted him to first write the incorrect sentence, then corrected version and then a short explanation of what he corrected and why.  He thought writing the incorrect sentence was too much work and promptly had his paper returned asking him to do so.  Homework is only accepted when it is in the correct format.  Mistakes were pointed out but the student was not necessarily told what was wrong.  However, if he did not see why the work was incorrect, an explanation was given. Again, I personally like that my son had to mull over his mistakes for a bit rather than be told right away where the error lay. The homework takes him about 20 minutes three times a week.  His teacher responded quickly to any questions he had.

The handouts are visually engaging which is why I think this class works for my son, he is a highly visual and kinesthetic learner.  For some reason what he learns in this class carries over into his writing which is what he has struggled with before.  I also like that the handouts always give an example of what they want the student to do so even younger kids should be able to do it on their own.

At the end of the class, he received a certificate that outlined all the objectives of the class and what was taught, great for record keeping.  She also wrote a short evaluation of his participation and achievement in the class.

We were both happy with the class and I signed him up for the next one.  If you have a child who does well with language then this class may be too simple, as always it will be good for some and not good for others.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.