Menu

Something really big has come up. Really big.

Tiramisu

When I cut dairy out of my diet (and DS's) when I was nursing him as a baby, I was being totally diligent - I cooked a dairy free supper and even made my birthday cake from scratch and made sure I changed the dairy ingredients.  Then I proceeded to have ICE CREAM on the cake.  I realized what I had done afterwards and felt soo stupid and frustrated.  It's a learning curve.  Even when you know what you are doing it takes time to establish new habits and to realize your gaps in thinking. 

Hugs.

When I cut dairy out of my diet (and DS's) when I was nursing him as a baby, I was being totally diligent - I cooked a dairy free supper and even made my birthday cake from scratch and made sure I changed the dairy ingredients.  Then I proceeded to have ICE CREAM on the cake.  I realized what I had done afterwards and felt soo stupid and frustrated.  It's a learning curve.  Even when you know what you are doing it takes time to establish new habits and to realize your gaps in thinking. 

Hugs.

LOL. This cheered me up. 

Dh went out to buy the dairy free chocolate chips I told him about and bought the right brand but the milk chocolate version. :)

It is hard. It is an adjustment.

I yelled at dh last night for forgetting to wash his hands when we came in the house after eating donuts.

Ds has only had this allergy his whole life (eye roll).

Accidents will happen.

That's why you have the Epi and Benadryl on hand and practice.

Stress levels will rise while you're adjusting.

Be gentle with yourself.

And you are seeing some positive changes. That's good!

If this helps any, I also have three girls with severe allergies  and asthma. Flovent was twice a day two puffs, albuterol q 4 hours, predisone in red zone, singular daily, periatin and then zyrtec and benadryl plus we did acidophilus and fish oils for many years.

Within two months of changing diets and starting essential oils with Doterra....we have dropped albuterol. predisolone although it is sitting here in my fridge, zytec and just got the ok to drop my girls FLovent down to ONCE a day ONE PUFF.

The girls are also subjected to deceased gluten and dairy because of brother and rub the essential oil Breathe every night and morning on their chest. My daughters say they are not constantly coughing like they use to. We are in the think of winter and by now usually we have had to increase meds. No increases thus far. In fact it is being lowered! 

One of my other daughters gets really bad allergies/hives, itchy, runny eyes DAILY---I give her lavender, lemon, and peppermint essential oils to take in capsules and rub on her skin. It has decreased her miseries. 

Just keep swimming . . .

Just wanted to address the idea of giving forbidden foods once a week. For most people who suffer with an allergy or intolerance, this is a really, really bad idea. It's just keeping the system inflamed and keeping the person under the weather. Constant inflammation and irritation of bodily tissue or of the immune system has long-term effects that are not good. I fully agree with the doctor who says to go cold turkey.

I agree that no allergy foods cold turkey is the best way but when you are dealing with kids and perhaps husbands who might balk and undermine you...sometimes it is a battle that you will have to win slowly. 

Now depending on the severity of the allergies, yes cut cold turkey for life and death situations. For example one of my daughter has a peanut allergy and her mouth and face swells up severely. I don't fool with that. We do everything we can to keep peanuts out of her body and we have an epi pen ready to go. My daughter herself AVOIDS peanuts because she told me her tongue and mouth felt swollen and tingly. Then we went to the doctors and tested her and she was positive and a couple of times after she had peanuts accidentally and boom---her face swelled up like a large balloon and turned red like a tomato and then she started coughing and wheezing. Yes don;t fool with that one. . 

However if it is an allergy that is not quite epi pen yet....there is a little more wiggle room without beating yourself and everyone else over it until you can get it completely out of their system and you have found some good alternatives and  they are personally willing to be more responsible about it themselves. 

I have learned that if you have not found a good alternative/substitute that the child is willing to consume in place of a certain type of food, the transition is longer and tougher. RIght now, Tiramisu is in the seeking and searching stage. She needs to find all kinds of products that are safe for her child, stock up the cabinet and start having her eat those and toss out the stuff she can;t have. It truly is trial and error of what her child is willing to consume or not. Then it needs to become a shopping habit as well. To become a basic shopping routine. It all takes time. 

Give yourself a good month or two or more to truly get into the swing of things. And there will be days of lapses....so don;t beat yourself or anyone else up for it or else it becomes a power struggle in the family. (ie how can I make mom or get back at my wife kind of thing-like what pushes her buttons)

When the kids now eat something I know they shouldn;t be eating, I do warn them that there will be consequences ie they may not feel well or that brother might be beating them up afterwards. I say go ahead  but be prepared for the consequences. That usually stops them in their tracks and make them think. Still working on husband who brings the food home. I have hidden a bunch of stuff he has bought down in the garage sometimes. (Anyone want a bag of groceries we can; eat?)

Tiramisu...exactly what is she on? 

Does she ever have to get epinephrine shots or predisone? What about respiratory issues--flovent, qvar, albuturol etc Flonase, singulair etc

What are her symptoms?

When doctors say lets cut her cold turkey...unless he is a stupid doctor, it is very hard to go cold turkey on common food items for kids, busy families and balking husbands. We just do the best we can do and know that you have an arsenal of medications to fall back when you have lapses. I am sure he is aware that it is impossible to go cold turkey and that by saying going cold turkey he is saying lets cut down and see what happens as he knows because of the above situation it would be really hard to control due to cross contaminations/ processed foods etc. 

My friend has a very good diet that I pretty much "Try" to follow:

1) She cooks cut chicken,ground turkey and minimal redmeat with herbs. We do fish. She takes fishoils. We do both. 

2) she steams veggies all the time like zucchini, cauliflower, red/green peppers, carrots, onions

3) she eats yams and sweet potatoes and potatoes..take one, put on plate, and cook for 7 minutes then peel the peel off. Yum! 

4) she eats blue berries, apples, oranges, bananas-don;t forget fruit sauces too.

5) she eats rice and mix with veggies and some meat of any kind

6) she eats pasta- we use gluten free pasta with sauce or fake butter or just plain olive oil

7) she rotates things around...she rarely eats foods that leaves crumbs (hence gluten) or packaged stuff. 

8) she does give the kids dino chicken strips but you can get them gluten free

9) hard boiled eggs

10) oatmeal with fruits

11)veggie/meat omelette

12) lots of avocadoes-she cuts and place in pyrex in its own

13) she puts fruit in greek yogurt but you would need to use dairy free yogurt

14) she does give her kids string cheese but you can substitute cheese with something dairy free. 

15) dairy free ice cream

16)legumes-beans, split pea soup

17) corn chips and gluten free pretzels if you must have something crunchy

and all of these can be cooked under 2 hours. 

She places each of these items in separate pyrexes (one cup/two cups) and eats out of them. One pyrex at a time (for those who hate all their food mixed together)

When she goes out, all these pyrexes goes into a insulated backpack that can store hot/cold foods and this can feed my whole family half day. We have two backpacks for our large family to go out for the whole day. She cuts the apples and bananas and places in the pyrex. All of this makes it look more edible and fun. 

You can rotate the food around here and there but it truly is a healthy way to eat. She is a professional body builder and I have lost pretty good weight on this diet while my kids have gained weight (they were too skinny to begin with). Be sure to have protein with each and every meal. 

Tiramisu...exactly what is she on? 

Does she ever have to get epinephrine shots or predisone? What about respiratory issues--flovent, qvar, albuturol etc Flonase, singulair etc

What are her symptoms?

When doctors say lets cut her cold turkey...unless he is a stupid doctor, it is very hard to go cold turkey on common food items for kids, busy families and balking husbands. We just do the best we can do and know that you have an arsenal of medications to fall back when you have lapses. I am sure he is aware that it is impossible to go cold turkey and that by saying going cold turkey he is saying lets cut down and see what happens as he knows because of the above situation it would be really hard to control due to cross contaminations/ processed foods etc. 

She is on levocetirizine. Am I spelling that right? It's for the hives. She's had the red cheeks and dry, red hands for years, but what's come up recently is hives. The second episode of hives was worse than the first, and then there was a low level of hives--not as noticeable in her uncovered areas except her neck--that didn't resolve until she was on the meds though she still had some residual marks and itchiness. Once she stopped the wheat and dairy earlier in the week, she hasn't had any issues. The doctor wants us to cut down on the med after another week and then stop a few days after that and see how she's doing. He seemed very sympathetic about the difficulty of cutting out wheat and dairy but that's what he had to recommend under the circumstances. He wanted to see her back in a month but I don't think dd will go unless she's having a crisis and is desperate.

I agree that no allergy foods cold turkey is the best way but when you are dealing with kids and perhaps husbands who might balk and undermine you...sometimes it is a battle that you will have to win slowly. 

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I have had plenty of experience with medical diet issues.

I have had to go cold turkey with diet twice in my life, and also have walked this path with my sister who has severe celiac disease and also has MS. For us personally, our first cold turkey came when we figured out that ds was lactose intolerant. He was in such obvious, intense pain that there was no way I would ever do anything to risk that. Second, when I was sick and had to drop all carbs, gluten, and sugar--I had to take five rounds of Diflucan. It was the most miserable two months of my life trying to get well. I had to continue on that extreme diet for ten months. I was very, very sick, though, and in pain, and going cold turkey was my only option. Also watching my sister cope with severe celiac and MS. I know all about how hard cold turkey can be, but I also know just how necessary it is.

I understand from personal, painful experience that it is hard to make this adjustment, but my own feeling is that allowing a little bit of the allergen is both risky and will only draw out the process even longer and make it harder. It is risky because allergic reactions often escalate, and allergists recognize that life-threatening escalations in allergy response are unpredictable. In other words, you really never know when a reaction will become dangerous. Some people never have those escalations, but many people do. For a child that is already having hives and swelling as the OPs has been, it is dangerous to purposely allow further exposures to the allergen.

That said--addressing Tiramisu now--don't beat yourself up about slip-ups. Just do your best. It takes time to learn vigilance and how to effectively substitute. It is intense for the first month, and tiring for a few months after that too. If you embrace this wholeheartedly and determine that you will succeed, you will find a way to do this. As your children feel better and are happier, that will be the fuel you need to keep on course.

imo if you are highly motivated and very sick, cold turkey makes sense.  if you are dragging your feet and putting off starting at all, then start slowly until you gain confidence.  Cold turkey is great.  Whatever gets you there is also great. 

When I started the diet with ds (officially gf/sf/df and Feingold- although at that point our intake of dairy and soy were very minimal- we went militantly off) I was desperate, very desperate. I don't share details often as to the precipitating events but it was terrifying. Food can radically change people. I know people like to poopoo the effects these days as it is so common but if it is an issue for your child the effects can be huge. Going cold turkey is hard, even if you are fully committed but it is worth it. If you drag it out your results will not be as evident and it will take longer to fully get out of their system. That being said I still yet missed things at times, especially with gluten as the labels weren't always so clear, although that is getting better. I swear sometimes I've read the label multiple times and missed something. We usually eat whole foods and that makes compliance so much easier but you have to do whatever you need to at the start to keep compliant, so I would plan that your grocery budget is really going to go up as you check out different substitutes and find safe treats to make the changes a bit easier to swallow.

Good luck, you can do this!

Whoa - two of my kids have this mysterious problem on the backs of their hands, one of my ds11s (not the one with the food allergies/asthma) and my ds7 (who has a history of occasional eczema elsewhere; this one is a picky eater whose main food groups are chocolate milk and bagels :tongue_smilie:). When I remember, I use Bag Balm on the backs of their hands at bedtime, but I haven't gotten around to considering a cause. Hmmm.... Other ds11 did separate dairy-free and wheat-free trials last year, but it didn't really help anything.

Through a fluke, that ds is seeing a new allergist next week since his old one is leaving the practice. Maybe I'll ask him, if I have time to squeeze in a question on the other kids - we have so much to discuss.

It can be any food as a possibility--for example, soy gives me that reaction.

When I started the diet with ds (officially gf/sf/df and Feingold- although at that point our intake of dairy and soy were very minimal- we went militantly off) I was desperate, very desperate. I don't share details often as to the precipitating events but it was terrifying. Food can radically change people. I know people like to poopoo the effects these days as it is so common but if it is an issue for your child the effects can be huge. Going cold turkey is hard, even if you are fully committed but it is worth it. If you drag it out your results will not be as evident and it will take longer to fully get out of their system. That being said I still yet missed things at times, especially with gluten as the labels weren't always so clear, although that is getting better. I swear sometimes I've read the label multiple times and missed something. We usually eat whole foods and that makes compliance so much easier but you have to do whatever you need to at the start to keep compliant, so I would plan that your grocery budget is really going to go up as you check out different substitutes and find safe treats to make the changes a bit easier to swallow.

Good luck, you can do this!

We've had another surprising thing happen and it's convinced dh that we're on to something. Dh has never been aware of the impact of food allergies and intolerances on behavior, so he hasn't particularly been looking for any changes in dd. But today he took dd shopping and he let her buy a "safe" candy with her own money. Dd loves candy but whenever she gets it, wrappers wind up strewn all over the house. We all have our pet-peeves and this is dh's. It drives him crazy. I've talked about dd's EF issues before and how it's nearly impossible for her to keep neat and organized no matter how often she's reminded. Well, dh said dd had finished the candy and brought him the empty bag with all the wrappers tucked inside. He was completely amazed and couldn't wait to tell me when I got home. Candy wrappers in a bag may sound so insignificant, but if you knew what we deal with on a regular basis, you would understand how big this is.

I am visiting again to correct my previous post. Since posting the above, I realized the candy was purchased on the shopping trip they took two days ago, when they got the infamous Funyuns and the chocolate for me. That means dd was able to keep the candy wrappers neatly organized for two days. TWO DAYS.

I'm very late to this thread, but just wanted to offer a little encouragement. First, it sounds like you are doing GREAT! I am so happy that you are seeing positive changes in your dd for encouragement. 

Also, to add that we were gluten and dairy free, militantly so, for 9 years. There were some other things that ds tested allergic to that we gave up, but they added back in sooner (such as peanuts). It is very hard at first, but then it just becomes second nature. Mistakes stop happening after a while. Everyone, adults and children know what is and isn't ok and no one ever thinks of putting ice cream on the cake unless it is SoDelicious :). Really, it gets so much easier with time. We were fortunate because my kids outgrew all their food allergies. They can now happily eat anything, but it took NINE years to heal and normalize. If we had cheated along the way, I don't think we would ever have gotten to where we are now. 

Hang in there and keep it up. Your child's health is worth it.

Dd has the flu. But she is so agreeable. 

"Why are you on the computer?"

"I don't know."

"You know you're not supposed to be on the computer now."

"Okay. I'm turning it off."

That's it. No jumping up and down. No begging.

I want to pinch myself. Part of me is really afraid that this is just the medication and it has nothing to do with being off wheat and dairy.

Awesome! Ds was only 4 when he came off gluten but suddenly he was able to comply before it was rather random, he turned into a really mellow kid, it was crazy. Now he still has tons of energy but he is generally compliant it made parenting 1000% times easier.

My mom visited today. Before she left, she put her face close to mine and opened her eyes really wide and said, "She's different." Yeah, I know. Oh, I hope it lasts.

Since dd's been so sick, she asked if she would have to stay home tomorrow. Her fever is finally gone but the doctor wants her to have some time to recuperate, so I told her we'll keep her home again to be on the safe side. Then as she was walking away I said, "Maybe I'll keep you home from now on."  Normally, I would expect, "No way!" in response to something like that. But she actually turned around and smiled the sweetest smile and said, "That would be nice." It just warmed my mommy heart.  :wub:

Wheat free, milk free, week two.

I'm so glad your dd is being so sweet! That's a treat.

When my ds was born, he was the fussiest, crankiest baby. He screamed all the time. Constantly. Full-out, red-faced, stiff body, limbs flailing screaming. When he wasn't in that state he was breastfeeding (mostly just sucking for comfort). It was truly horrible for all of us.

Within one week of my giving up dairy, I had a completely different baby. He was soooooo mellow. It was a night and day difference. With dairy out of his system, he became a very, very easy baby.

It's completely possible for diet to have a dramatic effect on personality and behavior. I hope and pray with you for a peaceful daughter with all these diet changes.

When my ds was born, he was the fussiest, crankiest baby. He screamed all the time. Constantly. Full-out, red-faced, stiff body, limbs flailing screaming. When he wasn't in that state he was breastfeeding (mostly just sucking for comfort). It was truly horrible for all of us.

Within one week of my giving up dairy, I had a completely different baby. He was soooooo mellow. It was a night and day difference. With dairy out of his system, he became a very, very easy baby.

It's completely possible for diet to have a dramatic effect on personality and behavior. I hope and pray with you for a peaceful daughter with all these diet changes.

All of my dd's were fussy, colicky babies. Your description of your ds sounds so similar. Dd11, even as a child, would get so worked up about things she would burst the blood vessels in her face. Dd8 would give herself what sounded like asthma attacks as a baby. Of course, no one took me seriously at the pediatrician's office and they just told me to let her cry it out. Hearing her breathing, I couldn't, but I couldn't get help either.. Now I wonder about all of them.

Can I ask what her behaviors were? I know my son has some type of allergies, but they haven't seemed bad enough that I wanted to put him through testing. I have recently started him on a daily allergy pill though to see if there is improvement.

Can I ask what her behaviors were? I know my son has some type of allergies, but they haven't seemed bad enough that I wanted to put him through testing. I have recently started him on a daily allergy pill though to see if there is improvement.

She had sensory seeking and ADHD impulsive hyperactive type of behaviors. She would get very stuck on things, negative thoughts or things she wanted, and would NOT.GIVE.UP. A tendency to be irritable and miserable. Occasional meltdowns. 

We have cut down to 1/2 an allergy pill and I'm curious to see if things change. We're supposed to wean off this week.

I also a bit worried about post-viral depression coming on since she's been sick so long. If I get the blues that's usually why. But I really want to be able to get a clear view effect of the milk and wheat elimination.

I couldn't get people to take me seriously either. I talked to everyone in the universe about ds, and they were very sympathetic but totally unhelpful. The response was a shrug and a pat on the shoulder and the words, " So sorry about your colicky baby." There were also assumptions that since this was "only" my second baby and my first had been easy and mellow, that I was just thrown by having a needier or more demanding child.

My midwife was the only one who suggested trying to figure this out. By the time I talked to her, I had given up and was trying to accept my colicky baby and just keep walking up and down the stairs with him. (He found the stairs soothing for some reason.) She persuaded me to try giving up milk, and I am so very, very grateful that she did.

Have you had your other kids tested? I think it's worth a shot.

As for the post-viral depression and getting a clear view of the effects of wheat and milk elimination:

Your concern about post-viral blues is valid. Vitamin D may help. You know it's coming, so you can set yourself to be patient till her system has rebooted.

The other factor that can make things complicated is that we learn and integrate behaviors when we are unwell, and it can be hard to learn new behaviors when well. You will see changes because your daughter feels better and her system is not under assault. However, you will also see some of the old behaviors because they are habit. The good news is that since your daughter feels better, she has more resources now to learn new behaviors and a new way of responding to the world around her.

I couldn't get people to take me seriously either. I talked to everyone in the universe about ds, and they were very sympathetic but totally unhelpful. The response was a shrug and a pat on the shoulder and the words, " So sorry about your colicky baby." There were also assumptions that since this was "only" my second baby and my first had been easy and mellow, that I was just thrown by having a needier or more demanding child.

My midwife was the only one who suggested trying to figure this out. By the time I talked to her, I had given up and was trying to accept my colicky baby and just keep walking up and down the stairs with him. (He found the stairs soothing for some reason.) She persuaded me to try giving up milk, and I am so very, very grateful that she did.

Have you had your other kids tested? I think it's worth a shot.

As for the post-viral depression and getting a clear view of the effects of wheat and milk elimination:

Your concern about post-viral blues is valid. Vitamin D may help. You know it's coming, so you can set yourself to be patient till her system has rebooted.

The other factor that can make things complicated is that we learn and integrate behaviors when we are unwell, and it can be hard to learn new behaviors when well. You will see changes because your daughter feels better and her system is not under assault. However, you will also see some of the old behaviors because they are habit. The good news is that since your daughter feels better, she has more resources now to learn new behaviors and a new way of responding to the world around her.

My oldest had skin prick tests years ago because she often feels unwell. Dd8 had skin prick tests last week. She has recently been nauseous, tired, and dizzy. She has only environmental allergies. No food. But I read online that sometimes the milk allergy shows up better in blood tests. If we give it the two months they are recommending and she still doesn't feel better, I will ask for a blood test. Her two month appointment is already set up. But I can't afford children's Allegra!I'm going to have to make a change.

Dd13 is now asking to be tested.

My oldest had skin prick tests years ago because she often feels unwell. Dd8 had skin prick tests last week. She has recently been nauseous, tired, and dizzy. She has only environmental allergies. No food. But I read online that sometimes the milk allergy shows up better in blood tests. If we give it the two months they are recommending and she still doesn't feel better, I will ask for a blood test. Her two month appointment is already set up. But I can't afford children's Allegra!I'm going to have to make a change.

Dd13 is now asking to be tested.

You could ask your doctor to be sure, but I think children's Allegra is just regular Allegra at a smaller dose, if so, you could cut an adult pill in half. Also, if you ask and need help affording them, most doctors and some pharmacies have samples, I have a friend who got samples of one of her children's more expensive meds when they were having a rough time affording a needed med.

You could ask your doctor to be sure, but I think children's Allegra is just regular Allegra at a smaller dose, if so, you could cut an adult pill in half. Also, if you ask and need help affording them, most doctors and some pharmacies have samples, I have a friend who got samples of one of her children's more expensive meds when they were having a rough time affording a needed med.

Thanks for the idea. After reading your post, I called and asked for samples and since it is OTC, there aren't any samples.

I'm going to check into what the pill looks like to see if I can cut it in half.