Menu

s/o What age did your boys start liking girls?

My boys have no romantic interests yet.  They have many girls who are friends (and boys...  not making any assumptions here yet).  But they're only 9 yo and a few of their peers have gotten very interested in girls...  in a cute, shy, awkward, age appropriate way.  But it's funny how kids have different ages for it.

• Like 1

True asexuality is apparently quite rare. Later bloomers would be far more likely, I'd think. 

With all the concerns people have about kids growing up soon and/or developing "early", it's easy to forget that there is a wide range of "normal" for this kind of stuff. There are probably quite a few young people who don't have a huge amount of romantic (or sexual) feelings until their later teens.

• Like 1

There are probably quite a few young people who don't have a huge amount of romantic (or sexual) feelings until their later teens.

And still more who decline to announce the news to Mom and Dad, I daresay. I honestly never remember telling my parents about any boy when I was young. 

• Like 4

My 9 yo shows no interest yet, other than sort of an academic interest in romantic storylines.  I will say that a couple of his friends his age already seem to be sweet on his little sister, though!  But it's all still in a very innocent, "she's neat" kind of way.  She's thus far oblivious other than she knows she likes to play with them, because they have the same kind of physical, imaginative play she prefers and that seems to be thin on the ground among girls her age.  It's all still very cute to watch. 

Well, as I said in my other thread ds 9.5 shows no interest at all. He likes girls ok but he thinks of them as friends, just the same as other boys. He does realize that others like girls but he doesn't appear to be even close to having those feelings.

Exactly where my almost 10 year old is.

The ONLY thing I've noticed is that he has started to express a mild interest in what he wears. But this is mild. His 2 year old sister is much more vocal on the topic.

• Like 1

At Valentine's, my 7 yo son wanted to know if I was going to buy him chocolates.  I explained that usually only married people or a boy/girl who liked each other and were thinking of getting married (how to explain dating to a 7 year old?) would buy a Valentine's Day gift.  Then I launched into a speech about how some day, maybe when he was 12 or 13, he might start to think a particular girl was pretty, or want to spend more time with a particular girl, and that a few years after that, he might even think it might be nice to kiss a girl or hold hands, or think about marrying a girl.  He looked at me and said, "I can already think of several girls I'd be willing to marry."  LOL!!!

I later got him to reveal the name of one such girl, and when I see him interact with her, it is absolutely innocent.  That is, I think he likes her because she's fun to play with, but I don't think his "love" has any physical/sexual dimension to it at all at his age. 

• Like 4

My husband was a late bloomer and ds seems to quit resemble him (in personality and appearance), so I won't be surprised if it will be awhile. I was the first girl dh brought home, although he did date some before. I imagine ds will hold his feelings pretty close though, he is not the type to share a lot. 

• 2 years later...