Menu

What's on your daily cleaning list?

umsami

Every day?  I try to keep the kitchen clean (excluding the floor), keep the bathrooms straightened, do some pickup (rarely complete) in the kids' play area.  On an ongoing basis, I try to put things away when I'm done with them, laundry in the hampers, etc., so it doesn't pile up too fast.  That's pretty much it for "daily."

Everything else is whenever I feel like doing it, or whenever it can't be put off any longer.  :P  I don't have any specific chores for a given day of the week, other than taking out the garbage.

Timing isn't set in stone, but daily I:

Do dishes around lunch time and again after dinner.

Sweep and mop main rooms (living room, dining room, hallways) - this usually happens after boys are in bed for the night.

Laundry (which never ends)

Wipe down stoves, counters, and tables (kitchen and dining room tables).

Make beds, straighten rooms (our room and DD's room in the morning; boys' room after they take their bath for the night).

Daily chores are just...daily chores. :-)

I make my bed as soon as my feet hit the floor in the morning. I keep the kitchen clean as I go along. No exceptions. Ever. Really. :-)

I would love to say that I vacuum/dustmop my 1500 sq. ft. of hardwood floors daily, but, um... :leaving:

I do all my major cleaning on Friday: change bed linens, put out new bath towels, do the household laundry, clean the bathrooms. On a good day I might also dust everything, but not always. I usually do mine and Mr. Ellie's laundry on Tuesday (which is happening even as we speak).

:lol:  I have a baby and a toddler.  I don't understand this "daily chores" thing of which you speak. :lol:

Okay, I guess I make it a point to keep the kitchen clean at all times, because otherwise stuff can get crazy.  I also try to do a daily de-clutter/put everything in its home.  Just a few minutes of effort makes it so much neater.

I hope to get more on top of things soon.  Right now I'm just staying afloat with household stuff, but the baby's starting to take longer naps, so , maybe soon... :)

whatever I can fit in, generally kitchen and laundry are ongoing all day and never seem to end.  Then I fit in other chores as my day permits, today in addition to kitchen and laundry I am washing floors in the kitchen and entrance.  Since I don't own a mop and wash floors on my hands and knees it is a time consuming process (I do baseboards as I go etc).  Yesterday I was washing kitchen light fixtures in addition to my normal kitchen and laundry tasks.  As I get more and more of the house decluttered and better organized I am finding that if the kitchen and laundry are done daily the rest of the house just comes along without a set schedule.

Beds are made as soon as everyone is awake. Kitchen stays clean, period: I don't let dishes sit in the sink except those that are used after evening cleanup. Laundry is done daily. Toys are put up every evening, except certain Legos, which are just part of the decor. I have help for the floors, bathrooms, and surfaces, so I don't have to dust, mop, or vacuum very much, but if something is dirty or needs cleaning, I do it. The neighborhood boys like to tromp in and out on a daily basis, but my kids are 10 and 20 years old, so so we just don't generate the amount of mess that some large families with young children do. It's a lot different when the kids are older and you are able to turn your back on them long enough to do the dishes or fold the laundry. :)

When I wake up in the morning I immediately make my bed, start a load of laundry, and empty the dish rack (we don't have a dishwasher).

I clean dishes as we use them throughout the day. I also vacuum at some point in the day. I try to pick one spot a day to declutter (not a whole room, just a spot, like the top of the dresser, or a closet, or the "junk" drawer, etc) I also fold the load of laundry from the morning at some point.

At night I make sure all dishes are done, wipe the kitchen counters and the dinning room table.

On Thursdays I do a bigger cleaning of the whole house (mop, clean bathrooms, wash sheets, clean the stove top and microwave, etc)

The biggest thing for me is to stick to it no matter what. If I get out of the habit, it all falls apart. If I just stay on top of it daily I don't get overwhelmed.

ETA: my kids, ages 6 and almost 4 also have routine things they do daily to help out. In the mornings they make their bed and feed the cats. In the afternoon they put away their folded laundry and wipe their desks in the school room. In the evening they clean up toys in the playroom.

Deep clean every Monday or Friday--everything gets swept, mopped, dusted, vacuumed, cleaned--whatever is needed
Laundry is done on M,T,Th folded and put away.  Sometimes a load is left in the dryer but I don't like clean clothes in baskets, in piles on the furniture or on floors
Vacuum as needed usually about 3 times a week
Bathrooms cleaned on Th and as needed
Kitchen is wiped down daily and dishes are always put in the dishwasher--dishes left in the sink over night are a huge pet peeve

Whatever is dirty?

If there are dirty dishes, run dishwasher or hand wash. If no dirty dishes, don't.

If the laundry basket is full, do laundry. Otherwise, don't.

If crumbs are on the floor, sweep. If not, don't.

Wipe kitchen counters as needed, clean toilets as needed, empty garbage as needed, etc.

No day is like the other, so the house is never in the same state two days in a row. Thus, a fixed list would not make sense in our family.

Whatever is dirty?

If there are dirty dishes, run dishwasher or hand wash. If no dirty dishes, don't.

If the laundry basket is full, do laundry. Otherwise, don't.

If crumbs are on the floor, sweep. If not, don't.

Wipe kitchen counters as needed, clean toilets as needed, empty garbage as needed, etc.

No day is like the other, so the house is never in the same state two days in a row. Thus, a fixed list would not make sense in our family.

Kinda this--but there are days I don't do much at all. It's a character flaw I work on.

Sometimes.

I have a system....and try very hard to stay on top of it. 

• get up, make bed and tidy bathroom 
  • get into exercise gear
  • have breakfast and clean up kitchen--I clean as I go and it always stays clean
  • clean first floor-vacuum, dust and wipe down bathroom- this is where everyone hangs out and sees it they come into our home.  I want it super neat.
  • exercise 
  • sweep front porch, recon the yard and restock bird feeders 
  • get laundry started--1 load of each daily --4 people exercise daily so we always have that stuff to wash
  • tidy second floor--bathrooms x 2--I usually wipe them down daily and bleach weekly, make sure everything is put away in bedrooms and stocked in bathrooms
  • basement daily--laundry area is vacuumed daily and dryer vent cleaned after each load
  • exercise area is cleaned and everything put away when finished

These steps seem long when I write them down, but they don't take much time.  I think it's just getting into the habit of this that makes everything run smoothly. 

Those of you who sweep, mop, and vacuum everything daily... Wow.  Just... Wow.  Hat's off to you!  We do once a week, and anything more than that as needed, but not daily.

Our kitchen stays clean.  We clean as we go.  We have regular "tidy up" times for toy and craft pick up (twice a day). Bathrooms get swiped as they are used (fully cleaned weekly). Trash is taken out daily. Laundry is done as needed, dusting is once a week.  Actually, most everything is once a week, and everything else is as needed.  :)

And, of course, there are days when personal hygiene and the very basics are all that happens.  When my health tumbles, for one.  The kitchen falls into the "basics" but there's always ordering out, so sometimes that gets really simple, too!

Long ago, DH and I read about the concept of the "magic minimum" and figured out our magic minimum to keep the house running smoothly.  Our minimum might be different for a bigger/smaller family, or one with a different number of pets.

Enlist slave labor.  Each of my children have to pick up after themselves and have a daily chore and an after meal chore. 

Every day:

Beds are made

Rooms are pick up

clothing is put away

laundry is done, all. of. it

kitchen is clean and swept 3x

cat litter is scooped

trash is emptied

toilets are quick wiped

bathroom counters and mirrors are quick wiped

Um...that looks way more impressive than it feels.  We are sanitary clean people, but not obsessive clean.

Daily - Dishes, floors, laundry, and declutter....My DH and DD leave stuff EVERYWHERE!

Daily - fight with DD to get her room cleaned, almost never happens....pulling out  my hair as we speak

Our house is on the market. Friday-Sunday I deep clean EVERYTHING and organize closets that have come undone.

I'm exhausted and I hate chores.

Those of you who sweep, mop, and vacuum everything daily... Wow.  Just... Wow.  Hat's off to you!  We do once a week, and anything more than that as needed, but not daily.

Our kitchen stays clean.  We clean as we go.  We have regular "tidy up" times for toy and craft pick up (twice a day). Bathrooms get swiped as they are used (fully cleaned weekly). Trash is taken out daily. Laundry is done as needed, dusting is once a week.  Actually, most everything is once a week, and everything else is as needed.   :)

And, of course, there are days when personal hygiene and the very basics are all that happens.  When my health tumbles, for one.  The kitchen falls into the "basics" but there's always ordering out, so sometimes that gets really simple, too!

Long ago, DH and I read about the concept of the "magic minimum" and figured out our magic minimum to keep the house running smoothly.  Our minimum might be different for a bigger/smaller family, or one with a different number of pets.

I used to do these things at least once a day if not twice, but I was running a home daycare so it was a must imo.  Now with just my own kids and me working 2 jobs outside the home it gets done about once a week but I hate it in between and wish I had time to go back to daily, I preferred it that way.

I used to do these things at least once a day if not twice, but I was running a home daycare so it was a must imo. Now with just my own kids and me working 2 jobs outside the home it gets done about once a week but I hate it in between and wish I had time to go back to daily, I preferred it that way.

I get tired just thinking of doing all three every day, but I'm with you - would prefer it done every day! No chance I have the energy though, so it's spot cleaning in between the weekly stuff for me.

Still - hats off to you for getting it done every day when you did it! Great work!

My list is pretty similar to everyone elses:

Make bed

Tidy bathroom (if it's dirty I clean it - usually about 2 or 3 times a week)

Pick up during the day a few times

Do a load (or four) of laundry

Clean up the kitchen before bed

I know you didn't ask for a breakdown of what kids do daily but my system incorporates the kids so heres what we do:

Kids gather/bring down laundry.  I wash it & put away mine/dh & ds 4.  The other kids put away their own laundry.

My biggest time saver is I wash everything together.  Yep, whites, colors, darks all in the same machine.  It makes laundry soooo simple for the kids to grab everything and just toss in a load.  I am never behind in laundry and besides my whites not being quite as bright (which I do not care about) I've notices nothing with the rest of our clothes.  

Kids unload the dishwasher once or twice a day.  I reload the dishwasher and run it when needed as well as handle pots/pans.

I try to use my e-cloth mop with the dusting head daily.  It's super easy.

I wash down the kitchen table- well at least the parts that aren't covered in books from school.  We have wood chairs in the kitchen so I typically will give the job to ds 4 to wipe down the chairs.

We made a rule of no toys in the family room which has kept this room looking pretty good.  The kids can play in the living room or dining room or of course their bedrooms.   But I've slacked off and allowed toys lately.  So when this happens I call a  5 minute pick up session before bed to keep at least that one room looking nice.

We have three bathrooms.  I do mine, one ds does the main floor bathroom and the other ds does the kids bathroom.  On a daily basis they just wipe down the toilet and around the toilet.  They have poor aim otherwise we wouldn't be doing this daily.  Once a week each kid cleans the toilet.

I've gotten pretty good at keeping this schedule.  For now it's all we can manage!

Every day:

Clear and wipe kitchen surfaces

Run dishwasher

Wash non-dishwasher dishes if necessary

Sweep kitchen floor (usually into a corner)

Clear all surfaces: nothing that doesn't belong or isn't being used left on floors, couch, tables etc

Make beds

Clean bathroom mirror

Wipe bath and basic and surrounds

Weekly:

Clothes washing

Bed linen and towels (rotating schedule)

Mop all floors and shake out mats

Bleach clean toilet

Dust / wipe surfaces that look dusty

I am amazed that many of you vac and mop daily. It's weird because I have a reputation as a neat freak, but I don't do that much daily. Things I do every day, always:

Make my bed, all dirty clothes go to their respective baskets, feed the chickens and cats, collect eggs. I empty the dishwasher most mornings (sometimes a kid does it) and do a general kitchen clean up. I never, ever cook on top of a mess! I almost always cook at least one scratch meal a day. I do certain pick up and put away chores as they arise - fold throw blankets, say, or put away mail. That's pretty much it. Most other cleaning happens on the weekends, or the kids do them. One does sweep the kitchen after dinner daily, but the results are dubious.

In an attempt to create better daily habits and get off the disaster roller coaster, I only have a couple daily tasks right now. Keep up with dishes, clean the toilet, and keep the dining room table cleared.

I've been doing a lot more during the day, but those are my only "must do" daily chores right now.

I'm planning to add things in as time goes on.

For the longest time, the house would get trashed, I'd clean for two days, catch up on laundry, and forget it all again for a couple weeks. I hated it!

We live in a small space and little needs to be done each and everyday:

Cook meals

Keep kitchen cleanish (this means dishes, wipe down the surfaces, sweep the floor, spot clean the floor, beat down any paper clutter that accumulates on the top of the table and chest freezer, clean out coffee maker)

Make sure toys and detritus are picked up from common areas

Make sure the entrance hallway isn't a mess. Sometimes this means a quick sweep and/or vac

This is my weekly flow, with some of this being down either by or with my sons:

Monday: Deep clean kitchen, wipe down fridge

Tuesday: Laundry, grocery shop, vacuum

Wednesday: Cat box, mail/cards, library, ironing (if any).

Thursday: Change sheets, clean bathrooms, dusting (my younger son's job), tidy bedroom

Friday: vacuum, boys clean their room, cat box

Saturday and Sunday: Any random laundry, anything that needs doing

Show off.

Daily chores are just...daily chores. :-)

I make my bed as soon as my feet hit the floor in the morning. I keep the kitchen clean as I go along. No exceptions. Ever. Really. :-)

I would love to say that I vacuum/dustmop my 1500 sq. ft. of hardwood floors daily, but, um... :leaving:

I do all my major cleaning on Friday: change bed linens, put out new bath towels, do the household laundry, clean the bathrooms. On a good day I might also dust everything, but not always. I usually do mine and Mr. Ellie's laundry on Tuesday (which is happening even as we speak).

On a daily basis, I wash the dishes (by hand, you slackers with dishwashers :p) sweep the tile and hardwood floors, put the laundry into hampers, scoop the reeking horrors out of the cats' litter box, keep the kitchen clean in general, and every evening after dd is in bed I go through and straighten the kitchen, living room, and bathroom, put toys, etc. away, stuff like that.

Everything else, like mopping, dusting, changing sheets, etc. gets done weekly.  

This thread makes me feel like I should be cleaning right now.  The antidote to this is watching How Clean is Your House? on BBCA, which always makes me feel nicely smug about the condition of my home.  I'm really impressed by how efficiently you all are using your time! 

daily cleaning.... :rofl: 

What is this thing called 'daily cleaning' of which you speak?  :tongue_smilie:

In all seriousness, Dh decided long ago that 'daily' cleaning belongs to the kids. Each according to age and ability help out with kitchen clean-up and personal belongings and other things as requested. I actually have been ordered to leave the room after the evening meal and the kids do all the work.

I cook - most days. Sometimes dh does. The kids clean-up, which includes doing the dishes- loading and unloading the dishwasher, cleaning the counters, cleaning the stove, wiping fronts of appliances if messy, sweeping kitchen floor, hallway, and steps, empty trash can if full, etc.  Feed the pets and clean out litter boxes. DS #1's 'ocd' traits work well here. He has the crew fine tuned to be a well oiled machine. The three still at home can whip the kitchen into shape in about 20 minutes.

My responsibilities include school for the kids, taxi driver (the kids skate/practice 6 days a week and we have lessons on 4 of those days as well), cooking, and laundry as well as any other thing that pops up that they can't handle.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, I think I am the only one in this family who can see the dog when he is standing by the door waiting to be let out. Seriously, I think as soon as I walk into the house the dog is invisible to everyone but me. Also, I am the only one who hears him bark when he wants to come back in. Everyone else can be sitting right by the door, the dog will be barking and they just go about their business. :w00t:

But, it takes much less time to let the dog in then it does to clean the kitchen, so I don't complain...too often.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, I think I am the only one in this family who can see the dog when he is standing by the door waiting to be let out. Seriously, I think as soon as I walk into the house the dog is invisible to everyone but me. Also, I am the only one who hears him bark when he wants to come back in. Everyone else can be sitting right by the door, the dog will be barking and they just go about their business. :w00t:

So true! We have two invisible dogs here! How is it that only we can see our dogs??

I know that many people help keep their house tidy by having daily and weekly chores that they do. What does yours look like?

AMDG

The single most important daily chore I have is keeping my eye on everyone else's pick up. When things get left around . . . I don't know, it really is that slippery slope. I ask my family to pick up after themselves and I go so far as to take pix and text them to offenders. Yep.

I also walk through the house and make sure everything is in shape twice per day: once in the afternoon and once in the evening.

Doing the above is a tremendous factor in our happiness. Really. We are all so very much more happy in a tidy, uncluttered home.

I tidy and clean the pantry and fridge, including wiping shelves and sweeping floor (pantry) every Monday and also, having taken inventory while cleaning, make the menu for the week. Then I do the shopping.

On Tuesdays I cook. I cook, make, bake, whatever, almost everything for the week. I try to be very, very, good about cleaning as I go b/c I don't clean after supper each night. Cleaning is pretty light b/c I cooked on Tuesday and my family does all the after supper clean up.

On Fridays or Saturdays we dust, sweep, and mop.

I wish I had a schedule for deeper cleaning but really, just do what I notice.

Daily:

Beds made

Dishes done after each meal

Kitchen and mud room swept

Kitchen counters and dining table wiped

Downstairs vacuumed and tidy

Bathroom toilet, sink and tub wiped, floor swept

Towels and wash cloths changed in bathroom and kitchen

Garbage out

Recycling sorted

All the rest gets rotated around the week, month or season depending on how often I want it done.

ETA: Disclaimer that I do not do all of the above every day all by myself.  Other people live here who are perfectly capable of pitching in to do some of these things. 

ETAA: We also all have farm chores in addition to the daily household list above.

I don't understand mopping every day! my mum used to do it every three months! though she did vacuume at least weekly including tiles. we do it once every two weeks, but does it really get dirty enough to mop every day??

we have discovered that a clean living area at the beginning of the day makes a HUGE difference for me mentally, we knew it made a difference but didn't realize how drastic until this month. So, cleaning the open plan lounge/dining/play area of toys, clutter, dishes etc has become a top priority as of this month. usually dh and dc do this while I prepare dinner.

we try to do the kitchen and one load of laundry most days. vaccume as needed, about twice a week. try to do bedroom pickup daily, usually more like twice a week.

my eldest is only 3 and I intend to pass most daily pickup, except laundry, to the kids as they become old enough so I see some of this happening more frequently in a few years, but right now dh and I would rather spend an hour playing with the kids or spending time together than cleaning. for this busy season with little ones around who make mess twice as fast as we clean it, we have enough going on just trying to keep up with them! and we are ok with that.

Each person is responsible for cleaning up their own stuff (books, shoes, detritus put away, dishes into the dishwasher).

Daily I:

make our bed because I'm a freak that way

cook

wash any pots or knives used before dinner prep starts

wipe kitchen counters and stovetop

Daily dh:

cleans up after dinner

turns on the dishwasher

empties the dishwasher in the morning

preps the coffee before bed

Daily A.M.

Laundry

Put away dishes

Wipe down bathroom (toilet, sink, & surrounding walls)

One weekly task 

• change sheets
  • clean bathroom tub, walls, floor, & door
  • Dust and Windex all rooms
  • Sweep & swiffer bedrooms, living room, & dining room
  • One monthly task if needed (ceiling fans, mattress pads, fridge, lemon oil wood, high walls & ceilings, etc)

Daily P.M.

Clear table

Wipe stove and counters

Wash dishes & clean sink area

Sweep & swiffer kitchen

I live in a cozy NYC apartment, so not that much to clean.  Dh cooks and the kids pretty much keep their rooms tidy.  I also maintain the clean throughout the day.  Doing it this way is so quick and takes no time at all.  I don't clean on the weekends (except dishes), although I may wash my windows, the car, or organize the basement if I feel like it.  I refuse to spend a whole day cleaning and I hate any kind of "big" seasonal clean, so I try and keep things manageable with regular daily stuff.