Menu

Straight into AG or do I need JAG?

Perogi

I'm looking at grammar resources for next year - sixth grade. We finished FLL 4 partway through this year and haven't done any other grammar. I intended to get GWG but after looking at samples I couldn't put dd through that ;)

Looking at my options for next year, I like the look of Analytical Grammar. What I'm not clear on is whether or not Jr. is necessary after FLL 4 or if we can jump right into AG.

I've also looked at R&S but for whatever reason it's not "clicking" with me...I can't quite put my finger on what I don't like but the appeal definitely isn't there. I could be convinced that it's worth pushing past a negative first impression.

I have this same question so I hope others will see it and help us out! I am leaning toward JAG, even tho I have seen many posts from others who have finished FLL4 and gone straight into AG. My son doesn't like grammar, so I think the simpler, easier JAG will get done with a better attitude than AG which I think will go too fast.  But I still have a couple months to decide. Hope this helps.

Gretchen in No. CA

My daughter is 9.5 and is finishing up JAG tomorrow. She had 3 years of LifePac LA and then about a year and a half of Sonlight LA. I wouldn't call either if toes string grammar programs but laid a solid foundation. We hadn't done any sentence diagramming prior to JAG.

I chose to do JAG now versus wait until next year to attack AG. We had room for it in our day and I bought the videos. They are the first video schooling we've ever used. The creator's of the product are the instructors. They merely read out of the workbook BUT I wanted someone else to teach her.

I have her watch the video and do all 3 exercises in one day. It just works better for us that way but it's meant to be done over a week's time. I have her watch the video again before the test and then take it. It's more important to me that she gets it clearly and that we have no tears. She actually told me yesterday that it was fun and that she loved it. I never really thought about someone loving Grammar.

I only have one child so the cost for the DVD was high BUT I have her watch it more than once. It's worth it to me. I would definitely recommend it because the instruction is sound. I haven't used the Grammar product you're talking about so I can't answer whether or not you can just go into AG. Hopefully someone else can speak to that.

I chose JAG because I wanted to start as soon as possible and thought that AG would be too difficult even though it's the same info. The sentences are written on a lower level (3rd grade, I think) with JAG and I figured that we'd do well with that. She's going to finish the first 11 units with a 94% so I'm happy.

This thread may be helpful: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/505219-5th-grade-grammar-what-do-i-want/

Ideally, your dc should be fine with jumping into AG for 6th grade. JAG is not a prerequisite but just helps the child. My oldest went straight into AG in 7th doing one season. She has completed 2 seasons this year and is done. She did not use the JAG before AG but she is strong in grammar/mechanics skills.

You definitely have the option to use JAG for 6th.....then AG for 7-8th (or through 9th), especially if you feel your dc needs more grammar before jumping in AG. There is no right or wrong with where you begin. Hope this helps!

We were in the same situation last year with my fifth grader. He completed FLL 1-4 previously. After looking at samples I opted to go with JAG. My boy is slightly pencil-phobic and the jump in intensity from FLL 4 to AG seemed a bit too steep for him. Plus, I figured we would have grades 7-8 to complete AG. He just completed JAG last week and I am certain it was the right choice for him.

Just FYI, too, my 8th grader is completing AG this year without the DVDs. I definitely do not think they are necessary at all.

I chose JAG for my 7th grader with extremely weak grammar skills.  She loved JAG in the beginning, but became very overwhelmed by the end.  I think the right decision there completely depends on the child.  I would choose JAG if the student has any trouble remembering or differentiating words (my daughter couldn't keep all the terms straight as there became more of them.)  Also, the sentences are easier in JAG, so it might be better for a weak reader.  If your child is strong in grammar and reading, then it would probably be fine to move on to AG.  My daughter found the dvd useless, since it just reads the text.  She would have been better with something that added to it, doing more examples, etc, that would have helped her grasp and remember the concepts better.

Dd12 completed season 1 of AG this year in 6th having had little to no grammar through public school.  The curriculum is designed to be used in middle school with little to no previous grammar so we took them at their word.  It was really tough at the beginning, but dd12 was doing very well with it by the end.  We'll do season 2 in 7th. We did fine without the DVDs.

I chose JAG for my 7th grader with extremely weak grammar skills.  She loved JAG in the beginning, but became very overwhelmed by the end.  I think the right decision there completely depends on the child.  I would choose JAG if the student has any trouble remembering or differentiating words (my daughter couldn't keep all the terms straight as there became more of them.)  Also, the sentences are easier in JAG, so it might be better for a weak reader.  If your child is strong in grammar and reading, then it would probably be fine to move on to AG.  My daughter found the dvd useless, since it just reads the text.  She would have been better with something that added to it, doing more examples, etc, that would have helped her grasp and remember the concepts better.

hijack

I'm having a similar issue with my 12DS; can you tell me if you've decided on another grammer program to supplement or completely change to?