Menu

How do we get out of Iraq?

So I know there are a lot of hot feelings about Iraq, but I would really like to discuss this with all of you intelligent people. How can we get out of Iraq and still leave that country in a healthy state? Can we? Does Iran worry any of you? If we pull out ASAP as many would like (and really, who doesn't want it to end, you know?) how do we not leave the country in chaos?

I am asking these questions because I have no answers. I would really like to know how do we end this? Is it possible? Thanks for discussing it. :001_smile:

There are still US troops based in Germany (or were when I was growing up... has that changed?), and they have been an important ally since the end of WWII. I believe the terrible failure of the post-war exit strategy for WWI (which led inevitably to WWII) should have taught us to provide long term continued support for nations after war.

I believe the terrible failure of the post-war exit strategy for WWI (which led inevitably to WWII) should have taught us to provide long term continued support for nations after war.

I was not talking about abandoning the people there or any future support. (Though I am not sure that everyone views it this way.) I am trying to understand the many cries I hear about pulling out of Iraq by those on both sides of the aisle. How do we do this? Do we offer long-term support or are those calling for us to pull-out not in support of that either? I am trying to understand how we accomplish what seems to be so heavily wanted here in America.

I'm currently reading The Thousand Year War in the Mideast: How It Affects You Today by Richard J. Maybury (an Uncle Eric book published by Bluestocking Press), and while I'm not finished with it yet, it sounds like there really is no way for us to "leave the country in a healthy state" or resolve anything by staying there, either. :sad:

I can't really imagine a good solution to the situation. (Helpful, aren't I? :tongue_smilie:)

Kelsy

I can't really imagine a good solution to the situation. (Helpful, aren't I? :tongue_smilie:)

Kelsy

Actually, it helps to know that I am not the only one confused by the whole situation. I feel there is so much rhetoric about it - especially in the political climate we are in - that I would really like to move beyond the "Get us out of Iraq!" to how that could be accomplished, you know? (Or if it can!)

Thanks for the book recommendation. :001_smile:

Guest Virginia Dawn
I'm currently reading The Thousand Year War in the Mideast: How It Affects You Today by Richard J. Maybury (an Uncle Eric book published by Bluestocking Press), and while I'm not finished with it yet, it sounds like there really is no way for us to "leave the country in a healthy state" or resolve anything by staying there, either. :sad:

Kelsy

I agree.

I believe the book says that most civil/guerilla wars take approx. ten years to resolve *if* there is no outside interference. The outside interference only creates a false appearance of peace which dissolves as soon as the interference is taken away.

There is no way our country can afford to finance a long time presence in Iraq. We are broke, and our own people and infrastructure are hurting. We need to take care of our own house before we try to fix someone else's.

As for Iran, the only thing that scares me about it is the possible results of the posturing and threats by our government. I see no reason why Iran as a sovereign nation should not develop nuclear power. I don't see them as being any less worthy of having such power than we are. We are not the saviors of the world.

I say anybody that wants nuclear power should have it, with the clear understanding that should they chose to use it in an aggressive manner, they would be blown out of the water. Personally I think the cold war worked very well at keeping peace between powerful nations. I also think diplomacy and friendship work better than threats.

The only reason our government is making a big deal out of Iran is the same reason they made a big deal out of Iraq, and the same reason they are making a big deal out of Georgia......OIL.

JMO