Menu

Question about notebooking....

jrstarfleetacademy

Hello TWTM families! I am interested in getting my 8 year old started with notebooking. Can anyone share notebooking related resources or a how to book to get us started. I'd like a place for her to organize her research in a fun and creative way. We are interest led as far as science, history and literature topics are concerned which means I would like to have 4 notebooks running (the mentioned topics + biographies). I've posted in several other groups and so far no responses, there has to be some family somewhere that notebooks!! How did you get started? How do you keep organized?

Thanks.

Mine could fall into lapbooking or notebooking.  Some are more complicated construction with lapbook type cutting and assembly and some are simple notebook construction. I don't usually download pre-planned lapbooks that are just cutting and gluing projects.  Mine are more like a portfolio of what we did ourselves. I use a manila folder opened and refolded into thirds for the outside binder because it's the thickest paper I can find.

I do them for history and science separately. In each one I put a list related activities and readings we did in addition to the activities themselves or photos of them when the activities themselves can't be added.

* Narrations
* Art

* Geography maps

* lists of mythology, folklore, literature in picture books, chapter books or other non-fiction books
* biographies

* charts, diagrams, timelines

* hands on activities like demonstrations, experiments, scale models

* essays, comparison contrast papers, summaries, scientific findings

* definitions of terms and important vocabulary words

* list of other resources we used including youtube videos

I prefer to use card stock on paper activities because it's studier.  Her ( my 8 year old's) narrations are usually written on regular notebook paper.  I bind the papers with very inexpensive ribbon (I don't pay more than $1 per spool) and  hole puncher for papers that don't already have holes. Getting a regular inexpensive notebook is an option too if you want.   Lighter weight water color paper can be cut down to printer paper size and images can be printed on it for art projects.  We use it for some map work too because we paint them with watercolor paints after she copies them. We usually do 3x5 photo prints if there are a lot of them.   Sometimes you need to print something with more details in a larger size.

I keep 2 accordion type hanging file folders with "History Lapbook" and "Science Lapbook" full of completed assignments until we're ready to construct/assemble them.  You could also just add them into a notebook as they're completed.

I highly recommend keeping a running list of everything you've done for the unit-sometimes you forget just how much you've actually done.  Keeping a current reminder can help ease the temptation to do more and more and more and more. If you add that list to the finished lapbook/notebook you'll be able to answer questions when other homeschoolers ask you what you did and what you recommend for a particular area of study.  It's REALLY nice to hand it to someone who asks your child, "What have you been learning in school?" and your child says, "Nothing." or "I don't know."

This year I did the 36 week file folder system.  That means I have the whole year planned out by week.  Each folder is numbered 1-36 and I have printed out each assignment or disassembled the workbooks and put the assignments for each in week in each subject in that week's file folder.  I haven't always done it that way every year, but some years it makes more sense than just doing the next thing due to different factors in our specific situation. I pick up library books for a couple of weeks at a time on Monday afternoons every few weeks.

Mine are simple. The younger kids do a dictation and draw a picture for now. I plan to move to something more 'formal' later on. I use one binder with dividers and we store each page by subject. I have also done them by date without divders. I use plain 24lb. printer paper, colored pencils, and a 3-hole punch. I love Homeschool Mom's idea of keeping a list of resources used. Since mine are still young, we aren't that in-depth yet, though. Our books tend to resemble a Waldof-like Main Lesson book more than a formal notebook. 

My advice is start simply and add to it as you go along.

I just did a google search using "notebooking page resource" and had quite a few hits.

This site came up a lot in other blogs: http://notebookingpages.com/

Mine are simple. The younger kids do a dictation and draw a picture for now. I plan to move to something more 'formal' later on. I use one binder with dividers and we store each page by subject. I have also done them by date without divders. I use plain 24lb. printer paper, colored pencils, and a 3-hole punch. I love Homeschool Mom's idea of keeping a list of resources used. Since mine are still young, we aren't that in-depth yet, though. Our books tend to resemble a Waldof-like Main Lesson book more than a formal notebook. 

My advice is start simply and add to it as you go along.

I just did a google search using "notebooking page resource" and had quite a few hits.

This site came up a lot in other blogs: http://notebookingpages.com/

Watch the Vidoe titled "Our Story" It explains what notebooking is and how to do it. The vid is free. 

I don't think anyone mentioned Confessions of a Homeschooler's blog. SHe has a bunch of really cute and fun noetbooking units available for artists, composers, geography, scientists, and literature. She does them as lapbooks but we have used them as notebooks. Just use cardstock to glue your pieces on instead of a file folder.

http://www.confessionsofahomeschooler.com/

I think notebooking can be however you want it to be. 

I like the nature study ideas and notebooking pages from Outdoor Hour Challenge. http://handbookofnaturestudy.blogspot.com/

Barb's Harmony Fine Arts also has notebooking pages.

Usually we use three ring binders (with page protectors) for different subjects. Both my kids keep a nice sketchbook that they do copywork and dictation in. They draw on the pages and sometimes write out a narration. 

My 6 year old has been assembling a History Pocket this year and has been putting that together like a book in a report style folder. 

Or you can make up your own ideas. Or decorate like a scrapbook. 

http://jimmie.squidoo.com/math-notebooking  Long ago I liked the ideas on this site for math notebooking. 

We notebook/journal but we are nowhere near as detailed as some. We currently use either lined writing books or blank visual arts diaries. My kids draw, write narrations, stick in maps, colorings etc. I like them to make sure they do nice headings and learn to present their pages nicely, but other than that it's not rocket science. My 13yo has taken more of a scrapbooking approach with her history journal this year and it is nice seeingher take some pride in presentation.

That's about it.... :)

This year I did the 36 week file folder system.  That means I have the whole year planned out by week.  Each folder is numbered 1-36 and I have printed out each assignment or disassembled the workbooks and put the assignments for each in week in each subject in that week's file folder.  I haven't always done it that way every year, but some years it makes more sense than just doing the next thing due to different factors in our specific situation. I pick up library books for a couple of weeks at a time on Monday afternoons every few weeks.

I would love to hear more about this!

I am currently reading The Living Page: Keeping Notebooks with Charlotte Mason by Laurie Bestvater. It describes various notebooks like the nature journal, book of centuries, commonplace journal, book of first, etc. It is a good reminder for me to continue to keep our notebooks and journals organic (self designed), simple, and nearby. With a variety of different styles of notebooks in our house, our latest favorite is the 12 x 12 postbound scrapbook with beautiful patterned paper as a backdrop for our mounted drawings and writing. For high volume notebooks, we use quality binders with page protector sheets, proclicked card stock, or composition notebooks. Each child has a large bin where they archive their eclectic collection of notebooks.

AnnaM,

Here are the basics on the 36 week file folder system.

-Each child has their own set of 36 hanging file folders (or one for each week of school-how every many weeks you choose to school for the year.) When I was homeschooling 3 the oldest had a set of yellow file folders, my middle had a set of red file folders and my youngest had a set of purple file folders. They can be reused each year.

-Each child's school assignments for each subject are planned out on a master chart. Do not, I repeat DO NOT skip this step.

-Each assignment, for each subject,  for each week, is filed in the corresponding file folder.  If the assignments are from a workbook or study guide they are either legally copied or the workbook or study guide is disassembled (Staples will cut the binding off for a small fee) and placed in the appropriate file folders.

-Charts and lists for assignments or assigned reading, print outs, directions, supplies lists, etc. are in the file folder for each week.

-All of the planning, the master chart, and all the assignments are done and ready to go by the first day of school.

This is a good fit for someone who:

-wants or needs a school years planned out ahead of time 

-has a personality, materials and assignments that conform well to pre-planning

-likes structure enough to invest a lot of intensive time and energy in the summer

-does well following a plan most of the time but is at the same time, just flexible enough to be able to skip something they took the time to plan without being upset by it

-is very sure they have a good fit when it comes to curriculum and educational philosophy

-has a good sense that the kids will thrive under more structure

-knows what they want to have done by the end of the year in all or most subject

-anticipates little or no time to plan throughout the year

-especially likes completing a big task entirely in a short time frame over working at a task in small stages on an ongoing basis

*Note-The 36 week file folder system is not typically a good fit for phonics and handwriting as children vary dramatically in their abilities in the younger years.  Math is another subject that may not work for some people in this particular format because some children need very different amounts of time to master some or all basic arithmetic concepts.  Keep that in mind if you take this route-particularly with younger kids.

It's not a good fit for someone who:

-thrives in a "do the next thing" situation

-allows significant amounts of school time for a child to pursue his/her own interests

-often enjoys exploring rabbit trails during school time

-is giving it a go with something new and suspects they may have to replace it with something before they year is over

-is upset if they have skip something they spent time planning

-doesn't have a good sense of how their children respond to different levels of structure yet

-needs less structure to thrive

-does well with spontaneity

-usually prefers to work at a subject for span of time on a given day and is happy picking it back up another day if necessary rather than completing an assignment on a certain day regardless of time required