Menu

Sonlight Users

Marie131

We're doing Core F with an 11 and 12 year old.'our Sonlight stuff (history, geography, readers, notebooking, bible) without the read alouds takes my kids an hour to an hour and a half. Read alouds add 30-45 minutes. My kids frequently read ahead or finish books way ahead of schedule. Sometimes we move on, sometimes I just let the gap be there. I think having readers (as in kids who read well, quickly, with retention) makes it easier and faster.

On top of that we do math (hour+), science (45 min), LA (30-40 min), reading (30 min every other day), writing (30 -45 minutes). Our day runs from 8:30 to around 1-1:30 with lunch.

We did Sonlight K, and the American history one, and then broke off to MFW... MOH... And a couple great years with VP. I'm done. We're Sonlightto the end now. I LOVE it, the kids LOVE it. It's great to be back with SL!!

We're doing Core F with an 11 and 12 year old.'our Sonlight stuff (history, geography, readers, notebooking, bible) without the read alouds takes my kids an hour to an hour and a half. Read alouds add 30-45 minutes. My kids frequently read ahead or finish books way ahead of schedule. Sometimes we move on, sometimes I just let the gap be there. I think having readers (as in kids who read well, quickly, with retention) makes it easier and faster.

On top of that we do math (hour+), science (45 min), LA (30-40 min), reading (30 min every other day), writing (30 -45 minutes). Our day runs from 8:30 to around 1-1:30 with lunch.

this is pretty much our experience as well. having a good readers my kids would often finish well ahead of schedule. I either left the gap and gave them a break, or found other material from the library that coincided with our history and let them read that at their leisure.

I think C was the last year that we were done with school by lunch, so about 3-4 hours for school. Sonlight estimates 2-3 for students, and usually we were in or near their estimates. My kids were 2nd and 4th grade that year too; my youngest was more in the 2-3 range, but the oldest had a few more things to do and probably went over 3. (By comparison, for D they bump it up to 3.5-4.5 hours for students.)

Enjoy! 

When we did C the Sonlight portion of the day(Bible, History, Reading, LA) took us about an hour to an hour 1/2 max for the Sonlight portion (Science add in maybe another 15-30mins, we did Sonlight for that too).  At that point I had dd doing her reading out loud to me so depending on how long that took her our days might be longer or shorter.  Math took dd about 45-60 min (Horizons).  Most days we started at 9 and finished everything by lunch and then in the afternoon did music or art.