Menu

any experience with uterine prolapse?

I had my last child a few years ago and am going in tomorrow to see if this heavy feeling and other symptoms is uterine prolapse. I'm pretty sure that's what's going on down there. If you've gone through this, please share what you went through and how it was resolved. I've done some reading online, but I'm more interested in hearing from my homeschooling buddies.

I had my last child a few years ago and am going in tomorrow to see if this heavy feeling and other symptoms is uterine prolapse. I'm pretty sure that's what's going on down there. If you've gone through this, please share what you went through and how it was resolved. I've done some reading online, but I'm more interested in hearing from my homeschooling buddies.

I didn't have a uterine prolapse after my last, but I did have a bladder prolapse. That was horrible! I went to an amazing chiropractor that was very capable at soft tissue manipulation who put everything back where it belonged and then put me on a supplement to strengthen ligaments. I also took care to not strain when using the restroom- the easiest way is to eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies and little processed, meat, dairy, and eggs and flour- until I healed. I haven't had a problem since. There is some information on http://herballegacy.com about prolapses that might be helpful to you.

I have had 4dc and experienced this with my 2nd.

It isn't well known or discussed, though you can find reference to it if you look but having another child can totally fix this. I know it sounds like an oxymoron.... but it is true. It has something to do with the hormones after birth that are like crazy healing machines. You use all of that to your advantage... doing kegals all through pregnancy and then the hormones heal the ligaments after birth.

You can have pelvic floor PT. Apple Physical Therapy here in my state is leading the way on really resolving pelvic floor issues and improving quality of life for women. You could call them and ask if they could recommend anyone close to you... They do big conferences around the country and may have info for your location.

I had PT right after my second was born and it helped. I didn't require a pessary. I changed midwives with my 3rd and she had me REST postpartum and when ever I laid down for the night or naps she had me do "the stink bug" with my bottom in the air and wiggle and shake my uterus back up into my body so that there was no tension on the ligaments holding it in place... so they were slack so that they could tighten better having less resistance.

I had NO problems after my 3rd. After my 4th I followed the same routine and still don't have a prolapsed uterus but I do have pelvic floor muscle issues. I had a episiotomy with my 1st and have never really healed... I have poor muscle strength. I don't suffer from a prolapsed uterus or incontinence I could though, I guess, as I get older if I don't get my PF into shape... SO I am currently doing PT to regain PF health.

If you look up my posts I went into some detail on how my PF weakness is affecting me on a TMI post I responded to awhile back.

HTH

I never considered that it might be the bladder instead. I'll have to read up on that.

Pamelia, thanks for the link. I just assumed this ment a hysterectomy since I had 7 children. I'm closing in on 50 in a few years so I don't know if another child is on the horizon, but I could always take my temp. and see if that would happen. I'm open to more children and would love another little one before going through the change.

Not fun. Need I say more? Eww! Changed all of my sensation down there in so many weird and uncomfortable ways. I was very freaked out at first. I didn't know what it was and thought I had a huge growth or tumor in me!

It has gotten somewhat "better" over time. I am still nursing my 18mo old (DC#4 and likely last), and my OB says the hormones are still making it a problem - loose. After I'm done nursing, things may get better enough to tolerate, as my hormones go back to normal. I can elect to have surgery if wanted/needed to put things back into their proper places, though the Dr. says she wouldn't call it "needed" since all the parts "work" - they are just in weird places - ugh!

FWIW, I found out when discussing this with my family (yes, we're weird like that!), that my great-grandmother died of untreated uteran prolapse. She eventually got some sort of infection that led to her demise. She was an old lady, but still, in this day in age, a woman is so much more aware of problems like this, and we have access to so much basic medicine and treatment that these things can be fixed in a day.

GL! - Stacey in MA

Hi,

I first had prolapse problems after my 2nd child, but as someone else mentioned they got better after a while without major treatment. However after my 3rd child, I began to have severe problems with prolapse. My uterus fell down (almost out!) and I had prolapse of the intestines and bladder at the same time.

The choice was actually easier for me because my husband and I had recently decided that we were happy with 3 children. We spent the first 14 years of our marriage trying to have babies, with constant fertility struggles. We see our dd4 as a real gift, because we lost a baby at 16 weeks the year before she was born. I include this to point out that I was in a different place emotionally than it sounds like you are when it comes to fertility.

Still, I found that I was sad when I realized that a hysterectomy was my only real option. I had a complete pelvic floor repair, with a bladder sling and my uterus removed. I still have my ovaries. It was very hard for me to consider this surgery as I was only 37 at the time. It seemed very radical to me to remove body parts.

Now I feel differently. I love not having to deal with the severe pain I suffered every month. I am no longer anemic, and I don't miss my fertility at all. Once I recovered, (very quickly since I did not have a abdominal incision) I have had no problems at all.

I wanted to write, because when I was considering my options every thing I read online was very anti-hysterectomy. This made the descsion very difficult for me, as generally I am not a western medicine type of person.

Good luck at your doctor's. There are so many options. You are probably no where near where I was, but if you end up there, I wanted you to hear the other side.

My MIL has this, along with vag**al prolapse. She would have a hysterectomy, but she's a kidney transplant recipient and her transplant team nixed surgery. It was not worth the risk to her kidney.

So her doctor fitted her with a pessary to keep her in place. I hope it will be a good solution for her and I am so glad she's not having surgery because she does not heal easily at all.

I had surgery in March for severe uterine prolapse and cystocele (bladder prolapse). My bladder was sutured back into place and my uterus was removed, leaving my ovaries intact. Laparoscope-assisted va***nal hysterectomy with cystocele repair, to be exact.

I resisted surgery at first, but I'm so pleased and relieved now. How did your doctor visit go? I'm happy to talk about my experience if you need to know any more. :001_smile:

I'm due to go in for surgery for severe uterine prolapse, as well as cystocele and rectocele repairs. (Cervix has been 'exterior' at all upright moments for many years now.) My ob/gyn says he usually sees this severity in 70-80 yo women, not 37 yo, lol. I plan to set up a date for late 2009; I'm trying to get kids just a bit older so that heavy lifting post-op is more feasible. My mother had similar issues and underwent the same surgery in her early 50s - she tells me to hurry up and just get the surgery, lol.

I don't have a uterine prolapse, but have bladder and rectal prolapse (cystocele and rectocele.) I had surgery 4 years ago. Unfortunately, the rectocele repaire was a complete failure (as in the prolapse is worse than before the surgery). I later read that this is fairly common. The bladder surgery went pretty well, but instead of stress incontinence, I ended up with urge incontinence issues. When I gotta go, I gotta go NOW! At least I am not wetting my pants every time I stub my toe.

Be sure you ask lots of questions and get a second opinion before agreeing to surgery. Also, be aware that the good surgeons recommend no heavy lifting for the rest of your life. That is why I am not going in to have another try at the rectocele (and that I have tons of scar tissue between botched episiotomy repairs and this surgery.)

Added: There is a yahoo group called healthypelvicfloor. This might be helpful.

I'm curious to know if episiotomies have a role in this....

For instance in NevadaRabbit it looks like from her sig that she only has 2 children... So I was surprised to hear her PF was so damaged... unless she had traumatic deliveries??? So this question is for NevadaRabbit and every one else who has this issue.

Have you had an episiotomy?

Did you tear in addition to the episiotomy?

Have you had more than one?

I had one with my 1st child. He was vacuum extracted (needlessly but that is for another post) and I tore into my rectum.

My OB/GYN sewed me up sooo tight intercourse hurt until I had my 2nd child and my Midwife was less aggressive when she sowed me up. I did not tear with baby #3 or 4. I feel that because my OB sewed me up so tight I was totally unable to feel any damage done by the episiotomy. Plus he never informed me that after an episiotomy you need to AGGRESSIVELY rehab the PF (of course lots of OB's don't think that an episiotomy does any damage). Between those two factors I didn't start a kegal routine until after #2 and by then I had issues. I was able to really recover but after #4 I need to work again to regain PF health.

Pamela,

Your history sounds similar to me. Only the sphincter repair didn't work. I had it done again and it didn't work hold again. I had 2 epis. and I tore with my third (on the shoulders, not the head.)

Having done a bit of research on this, the pelvic floor problems have multiple causes:

1. Genetics. Some people are born with weaker connective tissue than others. Women who have never had children have been known to have incontinence issues later in life after estrogen has left the building. Same thing for women who have had only c-sections.

2. Speed, force, and position for delivery: If a mom is forced to push harder than her body is telling her to, if she has had an instrument delivery or if she is not allowed freedom to choose a positive pushing position (not the classic on back or semi-seated position), she is at greater risk for pelvic floor problems.

3. Episiotomy. Your history and mine are a testament to that one. It weakens the pf, creates scar tissue, etc.

www.ChildbirthConnection.org has a ton of information on pelvic floor issues as relates to the research available.

For instance in NevadaRabbit it looks like from her sig that she only has 2 children... So I was surprised to hear her PF was so damaged... unless she had traumatic deliveries??? So this question is for NevadaRabbit and every one else who has this issue.

My understanding from my OB/GYN is that there are a lot of factors that contribute: # of births, maternal weight, baby weight, head size, length of labor to name a few.

Birth of dear daughter: normal pregnancy, I gained 63 lbs (!!!). Water broke before any labor started. Aggressive induction measures utterly failed, I had a C-section for failure to descend, placental abruption, her heart rate was decelerating etc. She was 7 lbs 5 oz at birth. I was told I never could have pushed her out.

We lost a baby to miscarriage about a year and a half after dd was born. My body had no idea what to do so I had to have a D&C.

Birth of dear son: normal pregnancy. I gained about 25 lbs but I was already overweight to begin with. I was adamant about having a VBAC, found a doc who would do it, labored for close to 48 hours and pushed for over 2 hours. Vag'lly birthed a 9 lb 3 oz baby boy who, when he was crowning, made the nurse gasp and say "look at that HEAD!" :D I had an episiotomy, which after pushing 2 hours I would've done myself if I could reach. Just get.him.out.

So. I had a few tics in the risk category - several years of being considerably overweight myself, long labor, big head on a big baby, episiotomy. Also family history - my mom had her bladder "tied up" when I was in jr high or highschool.

Side note: I was gung-ho in the VBAC camp for a long time. After I got my VBAC (against my first OB's advice, so I went and found an OB who would do it) I was still very bitter about my Cesarean and felt like I had "won" with my VBAC. Hehe a couple years later and my bladder is pooched so far into my girly parts that I can't urinate without external pressure on my abdomen, and my cervix is literally barely still inside me, pardon my graphic-ness - well - I wonder if that first OB might've had something there when he said I should have another Cesarean rather than attempt a VBAC. :001_smile:

I am having a vag. hist. Sept. 10th (I'm very scared) I have a uterine prolapse and my uterus is retroverted so it causes pain with s3x and it causes problems with my bowel movements.. TMI LOL.

I have 4 kiddos. (3 traumatic births. 2 Episiotomies and 2 vac asssisted deliveries.)

I'm hoping the recovery will be fairly easy on me. I need something to go my way. Having babies was torture for me.

Jackie,

Good luck with your surgery. My surgery was much easier than any of my births, and they are a similar history to yours. In fact I see a common trend in all the births discussed here. Too bad doctors don't seem to know this information.

In my case everything is much better after the surgery.

I am having a vag. hist. Sept. 10th (I'm very scared) I have a uterine prolapse and my uterus is retroverted so it causes pain with s3x and it causes problems with my bowel movements.. TMI LOL.

I have 4 kiddos. (3 traumatic births. 2 Episiotomies and 2 vac asssisted deliveries.)

I'm hoping the recovery will be fairly easy on me. I need something to go my way. Having babies was torture for me.

:grouphug: Jackie - I just had my surgery in March. The fear is natural, I suppose, but please know that it is really not that bad. First few days post-op were a bit shaky, but the pain is not bad at all and you will be back on your feet in no time. Hugs and prayers to you.

Thanks for the reassurance. I really needed it. I'm hoping to be feeling well enough to at least keep up with the kids reading. We enjoy this time together and it'll help me not feel like such a slouch lol. I do have a baby thats "only" 17 months old, so not being able to hold her isnt going to be easy.

How long were you told to not lift more than..what is it? 5 or 10 lbs?

I have one....and requested to have a hysterectomy since we are DONE having children anyhow....my doctor wouldn't do it....said it would pretty much have to be coming OUT before she would....made me want to cry...actually, if I recall correctly....I *did* cry when I got out to my car.:glare:

I have yet to find a new Gyn since we moved....but once I do I am going to broach the subject again...:001_huh:

Thanks for the reassurance. I really needed it. I'm hoping to be feeling well enough to at least keep up with the kids reading. We enjoy this time together and it'll help me not feel like such a slouch lol. I do have a baby thats "only" 17 months old, so not being able to hold her isnt going to be easy.

How long were you told to not lift more than..what is it? 5 or 10 lbs?

For me it was 6 weeks of lifting nothing more than a light purse, and no se* for that time either. After that I was allowed to very gradually start lifting more, but he still didn't want me hefting furniture!

I thought it was just my bladder, but when I finally went in to have it checked out (10 years after my youngest was born), the Dr. said my uterus was also falling out. He told me he would repair the bladder, but that I also needed a hysterectomy. I cried and cried, although we were basically done having kids, but I guess I wasn't done in my mind. :glare:

Anyhoo, I got a second opinion, just to make sure, and decided to go ahead with the surgery. I'm so glad I did! Before surgery, I literally had a water balloon between my legs. I like to be active, so this was a definite bummer!

I had a v*ginal hysterectomy and was back to riding my bike in two weeks. (Shhh! Don't tell my Dr.) I was very tired at first, but each day regained more strength.

Best wishes on your decision!

3 deliveries, no episiotomies, water broken for all 3 (or I suspect they would have all had to arrive in the sac). All very quick deliveries - time in hospital delivery room: 2.5 hours, 1.5 hours, 1 hour. All average weights: 7lb 7oz, 7lb 12 oz, 6lb 6oz. The middle child, who did the most damage, had the biggest head and crowned forever. The doctor actually reached in and pulled the cervix apart to deliver him - OMG. Wow. With him I felt like I needed to deliver on all fours but was put into the semi-sitting position (don't know why I went for that). But in relative terms, all trauma-free. I blame bad genetics, I guess. Poor dd - potential for both Graves disease and uterine prolapse. :sad: