Menu

LA workbook suggestions please

LEK

My 6yo DD has just started 2nd grade. She is advanced in many areas but is a little behind in reading (good at other areas of LA). She loves the explode the code books and finished up book 4 at the end of last year with no issues at all however she is struggling with book 5 as the words are too long and are intimidating her. I think we need to take a break from it and come back to it in a few months however she really loves these books and wants to keep going. I am after any suggestions for LA workbooks that we could use to replace her ETC book for now so that she will still have a workbook but at a more maneagble reading level for now. I have considered just ordering the 4.5 book but i don't think that will help as she had no issues with book 4.

So far I have found this which I am considering as visually I think it will appeal and seems to be on her level but wondering what others would recommend.

http://www.creativeteaching.com/products/advantage-reading-gr-2-ebook

Thanks

I love Creative Teaching Press.  This is probably not what you are looking for, but my son loved CTP Language Booster at that age.  http://www.creativeteaching.com/products/language-boosters-gr-2-ebook

The publisher of ETC also has Primary Phonics.  I wish I had found it earlier for my son.  You would need the readers as well.

https://eps.schoolspecialty.com/products/details.cfm?seriesonly=357M

So far I have found this which I am considering as visually I think it will appeal and seems to be on her level but wondering what others would recommend.

http://www.creativeteaching.com/products/advantage-reading-gr-2-ebook

Thanks

That workbook looks great.  Might have to add that to our mix. :)

EPS also publishes the Recipe for Reading workbooks, which are similar to ETC.  My 2nd grader vastly prefers them to ETC.  They are not as repetitive and have some different activities.  They might be a good option to reinforce some of the concepts your DD is having a hard time with (RfR is designed for struggling readers and we've found the way the material is presented has been easier for DD to grasp quickly.)

(RfR also has phonics readers that accompanies the program.)

ETA:  I must add that I think RfR books 1-2 are junk.  Blech!....but Books 3+ are great. :D

I don't have any workbook suggestions, but my son was also overwhelmed with a phonics program in first grade (ages 6.5-7yo and a few months).  We ended up dropping the phonics for the time, continuing with spelling (AAS), and spent time every day reading easy readers from the library.  We are back to using a phonics program this year, but the read-aloud time is helping more than anything else.  So perhaps you could try a break from ETC for a few months and just read.

I don't have any workbook suggestions, but my son was also overwhelmed with a phonics program in first grade (ages 6.5-7yo and a few months).  We ended up dropping the phonics for the time, continuing with spelling (AAS), and spent time every day reading easy readers from the library.  We are back to using a phonics program this year, but the read-aloud time is helping more than anything else.  So perhaps you could try a break from ETC for a few months and just read.

I would be more than happy to drop it but she loves her workbook and would not be happy to lose it completely especially seeing her younger sister will still be using the earlier levels of ETC.

My main focus with her for now is reading (read alouds and readers for her) and AAS so whatever we find will just be because she wants to do a workbook, this is all ETC has ever been for me anyway.

I am liking the look of the Evan Moor book too, i think she might like that one.