Menu

Anybody used Write from Ancient History?

Anybody used this program?  The author is a Hive member, I believe.  I tried to search, but the terms are too generic and I pulled up over 700 posts.  If there are existing discussions anyone can point me to, or if you have used this program, I'd love to hear about it.

Here's a link:

http://writefromhistory.com/site/about-write-from-history-the-charlotte-mason-method/write-from-ancient-history/

I am :bigear: because I have Write From Medieval History sitting on my shelf for next year.

I had never heard of the program until I ran across it on Rainbow Resource and it looked like just what I wanted to go alongside SOTW 2 for cursive copywork, etc.

But I've never used it and don't know of anyone that has, so...come out, come out, wherever you are!

This is a very CM-based writing program, with copywork, dictation and narration based on chronological history selections. There are good samples on lulu.com and Currclick.com. I would recommend signing up for Kimberly's newsletter. She sends coupon codes or sales info. Or you can wait for the regular discounted periods from lulu or currclick.

Here is a new series Kimberly's latest newsletter announced:

Our NEW Curriculum!
Writing from Rhetoric

I've been working on this book for what feels like years. And just like the Write from History series, this book has come about because I wanted a specific product for my children. And that product just didn't exist, at least until now.

For the moment, I've got my head in the sand trying to get it polished and ready for the upcoming school year, but as soon as it is ready, I'll tell you more.  For now, however, here's a little info:

• Designed for upper middle school students and beginning high school students!
  • Built around the progymnasmata!
  • Teaches Writing with Skill and Structure!
  • Covers the progym exercises in 2 years!
  • Currently being Beta tested!

I'm so excited about this curriculum!

• Like 1

This is a very CM-based writing program, with copywork, dictation and narration based on chronological history selections. There are good samples on lulu.com and Currclick.com. I would recommend signing up for Kimberly's newsletter. She sends coupon codes or sales info. Or you can wait for the regular discounted periods from lulu or currclick.

Here is a new series Kimberly's latest newsletter announced:

Um - wow?

Do you know how to sign up for the newsletter? I can't find any obvious place on the Write From History site to do so.  Does she have another site or a blog or something?

I've looked at this on and off over the years because I love her CM writing E-book.  But I'm still trying to wrap my brain around how to use it.  I'm trying to figure out what to use along with it....just something like SOTW?  read and then do an assignment from Write With History, trying to match up topics?

Me! :D

It's simliar to WWE except that the narration is open ended you're not after a summary. The grammar is what you choose to make of it too. We enjoy it. :D

Could you explain what you use along with it?  what history program? and do you use an additional grammar program or language arts?

I was thinking about adding it to our studies next year for dd#2, so I went ahead & ordered the Medieval version at Christmas so I could see how it worked and if I wanted to buy the next year's for the fall.

I see how it is similar in a lot of ways to WWE - but quite a bit meatier, actually. I haven't been able to actually implement it yet. Maybe because my plate is already full. (That's what I tell myself.) Maybe because I haven't planned it into our day. (That's the other thing I tell myself.)

There is actually a lot there. You can use it for grammar. You could use it like you do WWE. It could be your entire LA work for younger grades (under 4th?). It meshes with your history work if you want it to, but she has Shakespeare & some poetry in it, too. 

• Like 1

Okay, so I had a few minutes this morning & pulled my Write from Medieval History Level 2 book off the shelf.

It is broken up into Historical Narratives (mostly from Famous Men of the Middle Ages), Primary Source Documents (Augustine's Confessions, letter from Alcuin to Charlemagne, excerpt from The Decameron on the black death, and a letter from Joan of Arc to some duke as examples), Poetry from/about the time (Hamlet's soliloquy, sermon of St Francis by Longfellow), and cultural tales (Norse myth, Arabian Nights, Perrault, Shakespeare). There is a Grammar Guide in the back.

It is primarily a guide to help you do narration, copywork, and dictation with your kids. There is also a guide to how to make it into a study of grammar (with a lot of latitude for you in choosing how much or how little to cover). She has a suggested schedule for those who want to use this as their main LA (page xi in the full sized sample on Currclick):

Day 1: Reading, Oral Narrations, & Written Summations

Day 2: Copywork & Grammar

Day 3: Studied Dictation

Day 4: Oral narrations and copywork

Day 5: Studied Dictation

I LOVE that there are primary source documents right there for me. We just got done with studying the Black Death & Joan of Arc. :blush: I had them marked in my book already. Oops!

I was looking to 'step up' what my dd#2 was doing along with SOTW2 this semester. But I must have realized in the back of my brain that this isn't exactly what I wanted - and perhaps that's why I haven't made it a priority. 

Anyway, here are some links to other threads (none very helpful individually):

writing program

Ancient History Copywork Selections

Has anyone used Write From History?

Review: Write from (Medieval) History (Level 1)

From the author:  About Write From History

I would suggest checking out the full sized sample on Currclick for the product you are specifically looking at. It really is a good representation of what you'll get.

(And thanks for this thread, as it has helped me decide what I'm going to try to do for dd#2 next year to beef up her SOTW3 experience.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

It's good.  I used Ancients Level 2 with my 3rd grader last year, and I think we'll probably use at least part of Medieval Level 2 in 4th grade.  She likes history, loves copywork and dictation, so it was a nice way to enrich and deepen history (we're reading through SOTW) and tie writing skill development to our history lessons.  The Level 2 readings can be challenging, I read them aloud. Not every single one is really appropriate for a narration or summary, but a lot of them are.  There are lots of passages from the Bible in Ancients, and lots of religious-oriented passages in Medieval, but it's not an overtly religious text or anything.  I mention this because some people have asked if it is or can be used secularly.  IMO it can, as long as you are ok with having content from religious texts (not just Christian, but Jewish, Muslim, Chinese, etc.) included in your history studies, which I am.

That's as eloquent as I'm feeling here pre-coffee, but do feel free to ask any specific questions and I will answer them! With coffee cup in hand  :)