Menu

Paging Dr. Hive: Please tell me about life without a gall bladder.

Rebel Yell

Please tell me about life without a gall bladder. I just got home from the hospital Wednesday and don't feel up to being overwhelmed on Google.

Yep- DH & I had our most expensive Valentine's Day ever...  Urgent Care, then a trip to the ER. :glare: 

I do feel better than I did- UNBEARABLE stmach pain.  I was very infected. Then I had to wait until Sunday morning for surgery.

But I got a very very long shower today. Feeling human again. :coolgleamA:

My sis recently had hers removed. She was in extreme pain and terribly infected too. She was advised to be very careful with her diet. No oil, only steamed food etc. Six months later she is fully recovered and able to eat normally but she tries to be watchful just in case. Hers followed a C-section so she also had a two month old infant to care for, breastfeed etc while recovering. But she pulled through really well with help from my mom and her MIL. I hope you have someone to help you. Good luck!

It makes me sad that so many of us have gall bladder issues!

Plain Jane just started a thread and then didn't reply so I am worried about her! I hope her pain didn't get too bad.

The thread had good advice:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/505142-could-use-some-gallbladder-advice/

I have problems, too, but stil haven't done anything. I wish they had urgent care surgery so I could just walk in when nothing else is going on and ask them to take mine out.

Good luck!

I've been without mine for 14 years. You might want to look up dumping syndrome. It's not fun. Digestive enzymes with every meal have made my life so much better.

:crying:  already overwhelmed, not inclined to google. Can anybody nutshell it for me? Just ran out of digestive enzymes, will be sure to get more ASAP.  any brand/type more helpful?

I use different brands for digestive enzymes. I pick mine up at Sprouts. The kind I have right now are Solaray, Super Digestaway. Not everyone without a gallbladder will have dumping syndrome, but I do at times. High fat, rich foods will make me so sick. Cramping, diarrhea, low blood pressure, sweats. Essentially, food will process through the gut much more quickly bringing a fluid shift into the intestines along with it. With time, you will know what food gives you problems and which ones won't. I would suggest knowing where a bathroom is at all times until you "know" your changed digestive system. Hopefully, you will have a quick and smooth recovery.

Please tell me about life without a gall bladder. I just got home from the hospital Wednesday and don't feel up to being overwhelmed on Google.

Yep- DH & I had our most expensive Valentine's Day ever...  Urgent Care, then a trip to the ER. :glare:

I do feel better than I did- UNBEARABLE stmach pain.  I was very infected. Then I had to wait until Sunday morning for surgery.

But I got a very very long shower today. Feeling human again. :coolgleamA:

I had my gallbladder removed in 2011. The operation was textbook, but the recovery was not. I had to remain hospitalized for 5 days after a surgery that should have been in and out. It took me a little longer to bounce back than most, but I can honestly say that I don't feel much different than before and I am grateful that I can have an ice cream cone without becoming completely ill. I do have to take a PPI for GERD everyday, but I had to do that before the surgery, too. You will feel almost completely normal in about 2 weeks. Prayers for a speedy recovery!

A relative of mine has had problems ever since, but it had to come out (almost an emergency).  There are other medical issues involved, so it is hard to say for sure whether is the lack of a gallbladder or other issues.  The doctors have never been able to pin it down.

I had mine out in November (seven weeks post cesarean). I had a lot of trapped air from the surgery, and that was very painful for a couple of days, but after the air dissipated, I was pretty much pain free. I had been on a very low fat diet for about 10 months to avoid surgery while pregnant, so I added fat in quite gradually. I started at basically no fat and worked up to a healthy amount over a month our so. I have had no issues thus far, but I haven't been out eating bacon cheeseburgers either. ;-) My mom had her gallbladder out maybe ten years ago, and she has had a few issues, but she pushes her diet much further than I have tried. For the most part she gets along fine.

I had mine out in the 80s, before it could be done laparoscopically. They took out my appendix, also. I was in the hospital for a week. I was supposed to be off work for 6 weeks, but I did so well I went back to work after 4 weeks. I was never told to limit my fat intake or anything else. I never had any problems.

Best wishes.