Menu

Sophie's World- for what age?

I am reading Sophie's World at the moment and it is definitely something I want my kids to read. And I am very aware (even slightly panicky when i think about it!) that I dont have many more years to be guiding their education, so I have this feeling to have my dd14 read this next year, when she will be turning 15 mid year. That is the age of the girl in the book, after all.

But then I was telling a friend, who does Classical, and she was very adamant that that book should be left for at least a further year and she wouldn't dream of expecting her daughters, the oldest of whom is 6 months older than mine, to appreciate/understand it yet.

But perhaps we are just different families because I suspect my dd would be ok with it. Perhaps she would get more out of it if I left it another year or two, but the further we go, the less time we seem to have, so I dont want to put off anything I really want to do, too long, IYKWIM, because we may not get to it.

So, my Classical friend has put doubt into my mind, and I thought I would come here and see what ages other people's kids read/ appreciated Sophie's World- we would at least be discussing it weekly.

The other possibility is to do it as a read aloud with both my kids- my younger will be 13 by then- and have even more discussion. I think my younger might be more "philosophically inclined" actually.

What do you think?

And I would think it's appropriate for 14-year-olds. First of all, you know your dd best. You know what you want to accomplish and how you want to use the book so, while it can take the wind out of your sails, don't let your friend's (perhaps well-meaning) comments deter you.

Secondly, I will probably use Sophie's Choice to lay a foundation of thought It's an overview of worldviews and philosophy and I'd like my dc to have a working knowledge of those as we discuss their literature and history selections. So, I'll probably have my oldest 3 read it this year and refer back to it as we work through lit and history.

HTH!

Lisa

My ds18 read it this year for an extra-credit discussion group in his cc philosophy class. He wants his sister to read it when she is about 15, but there are some "pretty abstract ideas" in it according to him. So it is a matter of maturity of thought. Read it when they are ready to struggle with really big ideas such what is reality and what is good or evil.

Smarr Publishers is using Sophie's World as the text in their new Philosophy course. It's an 18 week course, but you might want to just use it as a guide. They have a sample chapter online. It's Christian viewpoint and content.

She's just begun using Trisms EoC & Sophie's World is used for the philosophy component. She listened to the book on cd first (a friend recommended it & our library has it on unabridged cd) & is now reading the book as part of her studies. Dd really enjoys SW & wants me to read it when she's finished.

My friend that recommended SW listened to the cd with her 11yos.

JMHO,

DH, DS12, and I started listening to the audiobook last year on a long car trip, when DS was 11. He loved it. I think we'll start over again soon. I met a teacher of gifted students earlier this month who was using the book with freshmen and sophomores in a philosophy club.

Oooo - it's available on CD? I have a bunch of auditory learners, that would be a great way to get through it.

I had never heard of the book till I picked it off the shelf for something to read while at a friend's in Germany last summer, but then had to leave it there before finishing. I wasn't even sure if it had been translated into English - to find it's available on CD is great!

I agree. After reading it, I think it might make a good read for an older teen who had already studied the basics of philosophy and the views of the philosophers touched upon in the book, but I don't think it makes a good intro on its own for someone who knows nothing about the theories of philosophy that are referenced.

Thanks everyone!

I appreciate the input- I hear not all of you think it is a good intro to Philosophy, but it may be the only one we actually get to, so it may have to do! I myself am very much enjoying the book and learning a lot, although I hear some of you feel it's not necessarily all accurate, either. I love the overview of religions etc

The audio sounds like a good idea, too. We may do this book rather informally, I will see how I feel when we start.