Menu

Poetry

dancingmama

For reading during tea times we have a few poetry collection books.  The kids enjoy Shel Silverstein and our newest book is called The Random House Book of Poetry for Children.  It's lovely. :)   For the actual study of poetry we use Evan-Moor Read & Understand Poetry books.  They are grade leveled, but we have had no issues making them work across multiple grades.  We are using the 2-3 book this year for grades 2 & 4, so it works out well.  I really like these books.  They introduce all the elements of poetry and the included poems are usually very good.  The student pages are reproducable, but we do them orally.

For reading during tea times we have a few poetry collection books.  The kids enjoy Shel Silverstein and our newest book is called The Random House Book of Poetry for Children.  It's lovely. :)   For the actual study of poetry we use Evan-Moor Read & Understand Poetry books.  They are grade leveled, but we have had no issues making them work across multiple grades.  We are using the 2-3 book this year for grades 2 & 4, so it works out well.  I really like these books.  They introduce all the elements of poetry and the included poems are usually very good.  The student pages are reproducable, but we do them orally.

I've been curious about those books.

So far we do the BW style read alouds (tea time), and read from a variety of poetry collections. The only explicit instruction they've had has come from the scattered WWE poetry lessons and a work through the BW Poetry guide. And the memory work in FLL and PW...I haven't been able to get my kids to show any enthusiasm in poem memorization yet.

So although we do read it, I'd like to add something a bit more.

I've been curious about those books.

So far we do the BW style read alouds (tea time), and read from a variety of poetry collections. The only explicit instruction they've had has come from the scattered WWE poetry lessons and a work through the BW Poetry guide. And the memory work in FLL and PW...I haven't been able to get my kids to show any enthusiasm in poem memorization yet.

So although we do read it, I'd like to add something a bit more.

We are also using BW (amoung other things).  I find the E-M very gentle, and yet there is a ton there if you care to include it.  For us, I can see going through the books more than once and covering different aspects.  Here's a sample of a lesson to give you an idea:

Fly Away, Fly Away by Christina Rossetti

Build Background - discussion ideas

About the Poet - small blurb (we skip this right now)

While You Read the Poem - (which we do after, but whatever. LOL  It's little discussion ideas, etc)

After You Read the Poem - for this poem it covers Form: Lyric Poetry, Poet's toolbox: Alliteration

Lastly, there are two pages of questions, multiple choice for comprehension and then little writing-type activities.  We do these orally.

My lesson looked like this:

Fly Away, Fly Away – Pg. 14

A swallow is a small bird that is often associated with the coming of spring.  Point out the picture of a swallow on pg. 15.

Do you remember when we talked about migration in science?  What does migrate mean?  Can you think of some other birds that migrate for the winter?

After reading:

How do you think the poet is feeling?  How do you know?

Lyric poetry focuses on emotional expression.  Lyric poems may be long and elaborate or short and simple, as this one is.  The emotion expressed in a lyric poem often prompts the reader to reflect on a similar feeling or experience. 

Read the definition of alliteration (from previous lesson).  Can you point out an example of alliteration in this poem? 

Complete pgs. 16-17 orally

I am very much in favor of illustrated poetry collections for beginners. We went through these three books, one poem (or section on a poem) a day. Beautiful illustrations. Lovely selection of poetry. Not too young, but introductory, if you know what I mean. (And after clicking on the link above, I am buying The Barefoot Book of Classic Poetry too! Why do I visit the curriculum boards?? My poor pocketbook!)

A Child's Introduction to Poetry

http://www.amazon.com/Childs-Introduction-Poetry-Mountains-Battles/dp/1579122825/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392973236&sr=8-1&keywords=a+child%27s+introduction+to+poetry

A Family of Poems

http://www.amazon.com/Family-Poems-Favorite-Poetry-Children/dp/0786851112/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392973297&sr=8-1&keywords=caroline+kennedy+poems+for+children

Poems to Learn by Heart

http://www.amazon.com/Poems-Learn-Heart-Caroline-Kennedy/dp/1423108051/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_y

Then we moved on to:

Classic Poetry: An Illustrated Collection

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1564028909/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My kids tend to go for poetry that has a strong metre and rhymes (ie not your Emily DIckinson kind of stuff). If it's a bit over the top, all the better (Ms 5 loves to recite the witches from Macbeth, because it's nasty. They all like funny ones like The Pobble who had No Toes). We look for attractively illustrated versions of famous poems so they can be presented as fun or interesting read alouds. I think it's sad that, for many children, poetry is something difficult and boring that they only read because the school teacher assigned it. So we try to foster their interest and enjoyment in poetry before we worry about doing actual analysis.

We have used some of the books from the Poetry for Young People series, and it's pretty good, with pictures and sometimes explanations.

I used this book with my daughter a few years ago and am planning to use it next year with my son (he'll be in fourth grade); as we read about the different types of poetry, we will work on composing our own versions of some of them: R is for Rhyme, by Sleeping Bear Press http://www.amazon.com/Rhyme-Poetry-Alphabet-Books-ebook/dp/B00EXBQBQ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392983709&sr=8-1&keywords=R+is+for+rhyme

I am planning to use Art of Poetry with my daughter next year (seventh grade).

I have approached poetry in a slightly different way. No children's poetry books, no curriculum, no agenda, really. We run the gamut with what kind of poetry we read from Shakespeare to Rumi to Wordsworth to Mirabai to Dickinson. Poetry might happen extemporaneously around the dinner table with spontaneous recitations and discussion or not, it might be more intentional with tea and something sweet and actual books. Sometimes we'll take a poem and move it with our bodies, dance it or walk it, or dance a single line or combination of words. We might sing a poem. Sometimes we'll work with a poem 'separately together' in silence. The point is to allow the poem its own living, breathing body.

We have used some of the books from the Poetry for Young People series, and it's pretty good, with pictures and sometimes explanations.

I'm so glad to hear you liked it. I recently saw the series on Amazon. I've been planning on starting Poet Studies in 1st grade. The series has struck me as a good way to do that. Could do three poets a year with their collection.