Menu

Spelling in 6th grade?

My 6th grader has just started spelling again. She doesn't need to, and she's doing Worldly Wise and learning the spelling of those words as she goes anyway. But I was buying a spelling book for ds9 ('cause he needs to) and so I asked if she wanted spelling too - and she did. She's a words girl and likes things like that.

I think it really depends on the child and his/her needs. I think vocab like Worldly Wise or Vocab from Classical Roots may be more appropriate for some 6th graders.

Mine keep going until they complete Rod and Staff's Spelling by Sound and Structure 6. After that a few rule reminders is all they required. (The 7 and 8 books in that series are root based vocab, and redundant to DC who study derivatives in their Latin course.)

R&S spelling is independent until the words need called. The 6 book is a textbook, but aside from titling the page it doesn't really require more writing than a workbook. Simple, easy to use, and effective. It is also unabashedly Christian.