Menu

Help me with my Science sequence!

Dd13 is in 7th this year.  We are doing "Life Science" with Apologia's Zoology 1-3 and Botany books (all four this year) and she is doing Human Body at co-op.  

I know that I want to do a "Physical Science" year that includes Chem/Physics topics and an Earth Science/Astronomy year before moving on to Biology, Chem, and Physics in 10th-12th.  

I'm actually considering asking dd which one she would be interested in.  Does it matter which option I choose for 8th?  Or is one better than the other for a 9th grade course?  I may have a textbook around (CK-12 and BJU) for reference but I will most likely be pulling both of these courses together from different sources to keep science alive with dd.  

I would love some imput!  Thanks!

Most of this depends on if the student is interested in one faction of science more than the others. My son is much more into the Earth and Environmental sciences. Some kids lean more heavily to biology and anatomical sciences. So the idea is to generally give them an overview with a different science branch each year in middle school so they can explore the different factions before delving into high school. Those middle school courses are exploratory and don't matter as much in order. The general order is Earth Science, then Physical Science, Biology, Chem, Physics.

However, depending on if your child shows a specific interest you can focus on different aspects of each subject. My son is much more interested in chemistry than biology. I know that when we get there (if his interests don't shift) we are going to need a chemistry heavy biology book or to focus more on the environmental/ecology side to keep him interested. It doesn't make the course a non-biology course, it just shifts the focus. So you have a little bit of play in the subjects to a certain degree.

Does that make senses at all?