Menu

Award :)

8filltheheart

Ds competed in a high school physics competition today at a university where the top 2 scorers win full tuition for 4 yrs. Ds placed 1st. He already had a full tuition scholarship, and this can stack, so this is essentially a free ride!!

Terrific!  2 full rides!  Does that mean that they will pay him to attend school there?

Thanks, ladies. I was crying when they called out his name and went running up there. He was beaming from ear to ear. He hates competitions and is always stressed in situations like this that he will misread something in trying to be fast. He worked on the test until the very end of time. He was the only student left in the room. He said he worked through the entire test 2.5 times and found 2 mistakes. So, it paid off, literally!

I am pretty sure he will now be attending this school, since he has also been invited to the finalist weekend for the fellowship interview for their research honors program which gets the 40 students selected individually involved in research with a mentor professor in their specific area of interest.

Between the presidential scholarship (full tuition) and the engineering scholarship ($2500/yr) which he had already been awarded, this physics scholarship covers any remaining balance in room& board. (I have to say that I have never seen a school as generous with scholarship money before!!)

The added bonus to today was that he broke a stereotype. I don't think they have had a homeschooler compete before. He represented homeschooling well! :)

Amazing and inspiring!!  8, if you would be willing to share your secrets of success as a homeschoolers, your approach to hs'ing, I think many of us on this board just starting out would be ALL ears.  =)  What an awesome finish to your ds's homeschooling journey!!  Many congratulations!!

Thanks, ladies. I was crying when they called out his name and went running up there. He was beaming from ear to ear. He hates competitions and is always stressed in situations like this that he will misread something in trying to be fast. He worked on the test until the very end of time. He was the only student left in the room. He said he worked through the entire test 2.5 times and found 2 mistakes. So, it paid off, literally!

I am pretty sure he will now be attending this school, since he has also been invited to the finalist weekend for the fellowship interview for their research honors program which gets the 40 students selected individually involved in research with a mentor professor in their specific area of interest.

Between the presidential scholarship (full tuition) and the engineering scholarship ($2500/yr) which he had already been awarded, this physics scholarship covers any remaining balance in room& board. (I have to say that I have never seen a school as generous with scholarship money before!!)

The added bonus to today was that he broke a stereotype. I don't think they have had a homeschooler compete before. He represented homeschooling well! :)

Sounds like a GREAT experience!  Congratulations to both of you!!! :party: