Menu

What unique thing can your kids do due to your location?

Snickerdoodle

A couple of things--

We live on 40 acres of church land, in the middle of a suburb of DC. Dd has quite a bit of roaming room in the woods, which many don't, here.

And, we have no neighborhood, so no neighbors to play with.

And, she will not be able to bring her kiddos back to their grandparents' house (as in "ancestral home") , because we live in a Rectory.

But, she will be able to take them to the church she grew up next door to!! (It's been here since the 1780's--we expect it'll be here after we move...)

So many things depending on where we've lived.  They've help slaughter the sheep they ate for lunch on field trips; gone horseback riding, skiing, and rafting in the Tian Shan mountains; climbed circular pyramids; played broom hockey with Uyghur, Uzbek, Chechen, Kyrgyz, Dungan, and Russian kids; metroed (is that a word?) into DC on their own; mountain biked and hiked in crazy places; spent many days watching geysers since we used to go to Yellowstone weekly; slept in yurts; played baseball with Indonesian, Chinese, Mexican, Japanese, and American kids; hauled water from a well and taken many bucket showers; eaten a huge number of different foods; and have had some very interesting experiences getting Boy Scout stuff done overseas.

My oldest would be delighted if he'd just stayed in one state his whole life and had absolutely nothing unique happen to him. Oh well. He only has a few more years with us and then he can find one place to live and stay there forever.

My kids have grown up cross-country skiing and getting to know all of the hippie artists and organic farmers in the area.  They have learned how to keep themselves occupied during the long, frigid-cold months when all the highways leading anywhere at all are closed.

They did NOT have the vast opportunities that come with living in a large urban area (or even near one). 

We live in Massachusetts. I love being able to take DD to see the places where history really happened: Plimoth Plantation, Freedom Trail, Salem Witch Trials, Lexington/Concord, John Adams/John Quincy Adams house, USS Constitution, JFK museum. On Saturday we're going to Paul Revere's house in the North End. After Paul Revere left Boston, he actually moved to our home town, which is pretty cool - but the only recognition of it is a mural in the post office.

ETA: Living in a suburb, we can't walk anywhere. Well, we can take a walk around our neighborhood, but we couldn't walk to a store, library of even a park or playground from our current location. Also our neighborhood is great but there is a dearth of children here. There's no going outside and playing with the neighbor kids. All friends/playdates have to be scheduled, coordinated, and facilitated by parents.

My kids have grown up cross-country skiing and getting to know all of the hippie artists and organic farmers in the area.  They have learned how to keep themselves occupied during the long, frigid-cold months when all the highways leading anywhere at all are closed.

They did NOT have the vast opportunities that come with living in a large urban area (or even near one).

This thread was sparked by the comment that my son made that if we ever got 100 inches of snow, he'd like to dig a tunnel.    I told him that kids who grow up with that much regular snow probably learn that tunnel digging can be dangerous.

Also, we watched a youtube where some teenagers in Australia had bought some old used cars and did some spin outs and derbying out in their vast backyard.   This was quite a shock to my kids who are growing up in an urban jungle.

We live in a great location.  Woods in the backyard, downtown bigcity skyline within view of the side yard, herds of deer all around (as well as the occasional fox, coyote, etc.).  10 minutes from a National Forest and related goodies.  12 minutes to the farm where they ride horses etc.  15 minute drive to two major cities, an international airport, and a Great Lake.  6 hour drive to either Washington DC or Chicago.  4 hour drive to Niagara Falls.  A couple ways to get to Canada in less than 5 hours.

My kids get to go sledding or walk on a frozen lake.  The Rock Hall of Fame is down the street from work, and the rollercoaster capital of the world is about an hour away.  We also have other good museums locally.  We have major football, baseball, and basketball teams, some of which have occasionally won a few games :/ but we have the best fans!

We live in a location where you can commute daily to at least a dozen respectable universities.  Both businesses and charities are very active and visible here.

Our location is truly diverse, politically, racially, culturally, and economically.  We have hot summers, gorgeous falls, cold winters, delightful springs.  Every day is different!

But right now, I would not mind being someplace much warmer!

(Edited to correct minor typo)

In our old location (we are in India now and there are too many things to list!), we were close to the "Fluorescent Mineral Capital of the World," the Franklin Mineral Museum and Mine in Franklin, NJ where you can go through mine tailings at the Buckwheat Dump and keep the florescent minerals you find for a per pound price. We found some great specimens.

http://www.franklinmineralmuseum.com/aboutus.htm

Living in the Bay Area the kids can:

Surf/ swim in the ocean

Camp at the beach

Camp in the redwoods,

Camp in the rainforest

See coyote, deer, foxes, egrets, herons, raccoons, possums, skunks, red-tailed hawks, and the very occasional mountain lion in the parks across the street

Go frogging after midnight down in the creek

Follow professional baseball, football and hockey local teams

Visit marine animal preserves

Visit natural history museums, art museums and children's museums

Because of our Mediterranean micro-climate we can grow incredible gardens

Amber in SJ

NOw that I know what you are looking for. I will answer.

In Sacramento, they did gold panning, we used to see salmon running, and water was such a big deal.  They learned that people live in houses below dikes that keep back the Delta, that farmers burn rice fields, and that hundred year floods can happen more than one every hundred years and that the Central Valley then turns into a big sea like it was long ago.

In Albuquerque, they learned to deal with dust storms, swamp coolers, arroyos, and had lots of fun attending the Balloon Fiesta and State Fair each year.  They learned thet Christmas and Easter is different here and just reinforced the notion that there are many American cultures even though we have a lot in common too.

In Belgium, they all learned to speak at least some French, learned how to deal with travelling to places where none of us understand the language, and we were living in woods with a farm field next to us and a Chateaux right past that.  They got to experience non American cultures. 

In Florida, we lived on an island and my girls got their boating license which they still have.  They would pass manatees on the way to going to a store.  We had  wood storks, ibisis, parrots and iguanas in our neighborhood.  We also had a horrible tropical storm and our street flooded (though not our house, though we did have some ground water seep ioto part of our living room) and we have video of people kayaking down our street. 

In Northern VA, we lived in a house which had a narrow park dividing us from the Beltway. WE had a great summer swim and dive program and our pooi was just a few houses down  so I didn't have to drive.  The girls really enjoyed going to Wolf Trap National Performance Park in the summers and Kennedy Center for all types of performances.   We had mega snow storms and ice storms there and those were not fun-- as my daughter was telling some people at dinner last night- you couldn't even sled down because there was too much snow.

Over here, I am amazed how many opportunities there are here with such a small population.  We live in a city of around 180,000 and less than half a million in my county which is the smallest area they have lived in except in Belgium.  There are so many concerts, plays, exhibits, activities, etc.  One unique thing is Maple HIll Cemetary has a cemetery walk each October on one Sunday afternoon where more than 200 people dressin historically accurate outfits and recount tales of who they are.  It is free though donations are welcomed.  So many stories- like Tallulah Bankhead, various governors, a murderess, a Madame, Civil war participants from both sides, etc, etc,

Skiing five days a week--20% of the US Ski Team in Sochi this year is from northern NH

World-class climbing--Many renowned climbers live in the Mt. Washington Valley. The 14 page spread about climbing in Oman in the latest issue of National Geographic was written by one of our friends.

Waterfall hikes--at least two days a week in the summer

World's worst weather--Mt. Washington held the world-record wind speed for 62 years until it got "blown away" by a typhoon in Australia.  :lol:

My girls have been exposed to a lot of outdoor recreation living here. But, since there are pros and cons to every locale, I must admit I wish we had more cultural opportunities such as museums and theater. At least Boston is only 3 hours away, if we feel the need!

My kids get more excited seeing squirrels than they do seeing seals or dolphins at the beach that is 5 blocks away or the harbor that is 1/4 a mile away. We live in So. California so my kids can go barefoot most of the year outside in the yard or walking to the beach. 

We live where it's still quite affordable to have a cottage overlooking the ocean, to spend your summers at. We can hop over to Green Gables and Avonlea Village anytime during the summer season. We've witnessed first hand the highest tides in the world and walked on the ocean floor. We've kayaked and canoed and hiked beautiful woodlands regularly. We've built snow tunnels and tunnel slides and snow slides in our yard. We've spent a few nighs in a castle and experienced a world class winter carnival. We hear locals speaking French everyday. We've gone jigging cod in the north atlantic. We've been to a ceilidh. We eat lobster regularly and don't pay an arm and a leg for it. We've toured tall ships and Theodore tugboat. We speak chiaque and franglais. We've eaten poutin rapee and poutin-a-trou, chiard, passepiers and chomeur pudding. We've been to a powwow. We've found granite arrowheads in a lake where we used to camp.

In our old location (we are in India now and there are too many things to list!), we were close to the "Fluorescent Mineral Capital of the World," the Franklin Mineral Museum and Mine in Franklin, NJ where you can go through mine tailings at the Buckwheat Dump and keep the florescent minerals you find for a per pound price. We found some great specimens.

We've been there.   :thumbup1:

We can also hop a train or a bus and be in NYC in an hour, be at the beach in 90 minutes, be at some great skiing areas in an hour, be at the Appalachian Trail in 90 minutes, or be in farm country in an hour.  My yard is a certified wetlands (thankfully not at the level of the house).

We can see black bears by looking out our windows.  and white-tailed deer, squirrels, tons of birds, groundhogs, rabbits and chipmunks for those who like that kind of thing.

We can't walk anywhere but that's unique to my small neighborhood.  The road directly outside is too busy, winding and hilly with idiot drivers.  We could move a mile away and walk tons of places.

Visit Rome on 2/28 and visit ancient sites...particularly the Roman Colosseum.

Look up and see Mt. Vesuvius every day...hike that same mountain...drive to Pompeii.

Go to Normandy, France for the 70th anniversary of D-Day...70 years after my grandfather went ashore there.

See more ancient, medieval, and Renaissance art than you could fit in a book.

Watch sheep hold up traffic as they cross the highway.

Cow crossing signs

Visit almost anywhere on the European continent in a long days' drive...or not too much more.

Go from snowboarding to the beach in about 2 hours.

Real castles, homes built into the sides of Rocky hillsides

Preferring to take the metro, because the driving in downtown Naples is like a real life video game...like frogger....and your car is the frog.

There's just so much!

And before anyone gets too jealous....

Figuring out how to get from our house to the base seeing the fewest hookers possible.

Pray no one is burning illegal trash...or toxic waste on the way to scouts.

Hoping the bathroom has a toilet...vs. the stand and go...and that you remembered your little pack of tissue.

Praying you don't step in dog poop when you cross the grassy areas.

Hoping the stray mommy dog has her puppies somewhere else, because you know you'll take them 

Golf, surf, and get specialized instruction on just about any obscure hobby imaginable. We have many retirees here that love to share their knowledge with others. Also, get encouragement trying to reach your goals no matter how lofty they may be. People love to help others reach their goals and are accepting and supportive of those who dream.

We live where it's still quite affordable to have a cottage overlooking the ocean, to spend your summers at. We can hop over to Green Gables and Avonlea Village anytime during the summer season. We've witnessed first hand the highest tides in the world and walked on the ocean floor. We've kayaked and canoed and hiked beautiful woodlands regularly. We've built snow tunnels and tunnel slides and snow slides in our yard. We've spent a few nighs in a castle and experienced a world class winter carnival. We hear locals speaking French everyday. We've gone jigging cod in the north atlantic. We've been to a ceilidh. We eat lobster regularly and don't pay an arm and a leg for it. We've toured tall ships and Theodore tugboat. We speak chiaque and franglais. We've eaten poutin rapee and poutin-a-trou, chiard, passepiers and chomeur pudding. We've been to a powwow. We've found granite arrowheads in a lake where we used to camp.

We visited this area last summer and had a spectacular time. It is amazing how the waterfront cottages are so affordable. If it were just a little closer to here, we'd buy a summer home there in a heartbeat!

OMG, I was going to post fluorescent rock collecting, because a Franklin IS arguably the best place in the world for that. Certainly 'unique.' We are actually closer to NYC , so we have that too.

But part of me wants to be on Margaret's ranch :-(

ETA. Franklin has night time collecting sessions. You bring (or buy) a special lamp, take it out to the slag dump in the dark and start turning rocks this way and that, looking for the best and brightest. You can bring a rock pick and smash away if you like. Then you bring your bucket inside, where people identify what you have, as there is quite a bit of variety. Bigger is not necessarily better as you pay for the rocks by the pound. But compared to the price of good fluorescent rocks at rock/mineral shows, they are a bargain.

We can study the extremely rare gray bats who live in the caves in our backyard.

We can hike several lovely small mountain trails, walk daily around a lovely lake near our house, watch eagles hunt their dinner, and observe a beaver habitat in the wetlands next to the lake. There is a major wildlife habitat nearby, a large river that has alligators in certain areas.

Every spring and fall, we get to observe tornadoes in their natural setting, lol. :)

There's a rather nice space museum just down the road.

There's A LOT of engineers and rocket scientists in our community, so First Lego League, boxcar racing, and pumpkin chucking are considered blood sports.

Oh, and best of all, there are a lot of homeschoolers! :)

I have always wanted to visit PEI. I am SO jealous!

I live in a suburb area in Kansas/Missouri.  DH says the best part of our area is that it's a great place to travel from.  

In my attempt to come up with something we do have four seasons so kids get to experience a beautiful colorful fall, lots of snow, a blooming spring, and a hot hot summer.

Everyone in this part of the world is nice and welcoming.  I can move into a new neighborhood and the next day feel comfortable walking over to the neighbors house to borrow an egg.

And that's all I can come up with ...

We used to live on a small lake where the kids could fish, canoe, catch frogs and tadpoles, and watch the geese and swans come in to breed every year.

We live in a pretty nice location within driving distance for a day trip to Philadelphia, New York City, and Washington D.C. which allows us to attend cultural events (mostly Irish...we've also attended many ceilidh) and visit national monuments and historical sites. We also can spend a day at the beach or go fishing in lakes, ponds, bay, or ocean (or crabbing) and are close enough to forests to enjoy them. 

I don't think it's all that unique, but my kids are surrounded by quite a bit of wildlife, and we utilize our environmental education center a lot.  They know how to track bears, identify trees, band birds, and find some pretty cool fossils.

If we were into it, they *could walk from our house to game lands and hunt.

My older dd will have her first overnight backpacking adventure this summer.

We are close to many historical sites such as Jamestown, Colonial Williamsburg, and Yorktown. We are close to beaches and coastal activities. We also go down to the Outer banks of NC yearly because its quite close. It is really neat to climb giant sand dunes and see nothing but sand in your immediate vicinity but then get to the top and look to the east and see ocean and to the west and see the sound. Its like being in a desert surrounded by water. :lol: We love Ocracoke Island and the serenity of its coast line.

I remind my dc how fortunate they are that we have passes to Busch Gardens and Water Country, and that we go there on a regular basis.

We have the "Best Little Known" beach in the US about 15 minutes away.  We have a place we can take our horses riding and down a small beach (not Lake Michigan) and take them swimming about 10 minutes away.  We have the largest free lighted and groomed cross country ski trails in the state just 6 minutes down the road.  Lots of places to hike/walk from wooded trails to sand dunes to boardwalks, etc.

We do have "culture" in a big city about 35 minutes away but we rarely do that stuff as we still to the free outdoor stuff.

Visit Civil War and Civil Rights Era historic sites

Braves games (well, if we liked baseball we could go, but we don't, so we don't go)

Both Huntsville and Chattanooga are day trips, and we are only beginning to explore them

My oldest lives in a former Olympic Village

World of Coca Cola

Writing camps in the house where Margaret Mitchell wrote Gone with the Wind

Ok, none of that sounds very interesting to me. I want to move where SKL is where I can be in Chicago or DC in 3 hours.

Interrogative or declarative?

Yes. We can definitely do it, I just don't know if it is unique.

Not sure there is much here that isn't readily available in any medium or large city in the South.

Lots of early American history, nice nature places nearby but 2 hrs from any mountains. Good arts, lots of farms - a nice place to live and homeschool, just not very exciting or dramatic.

We do have the Parthenon, complete with a 40 ft tall statue of Athena.

And Tennessee walking horses.

This is all in our "backyard"

http://www.visitvictoria.com/

Narana is a 5 mins drive away

http://www.narana.com.au/

We have the start of The Great Ocean Road nearly 30 mins drive from us.

http://visitgreatoceanroad.org.au/

Ballarat gold fields an hour drive away.

http://www.sovereignhill.com.au/

National Wool Museum not even 20 mins drive away.

http://www.geelongaustralia.com.au/nwm

We have Fairy Park about 50 mins drive away!!

http://www.fairypark.com

Where we used to live they could walk around a nearby man made lake (we did so as a family all the time but the olders often did alone too), walk to McD's, the library etc, but they also dealt with gangs and drugs and other such things.  Nothing like walking home from getting slurpees at a nearby convience store to be told to get your children home and lock the doors, the cops were about to do a gun and drug raid 3 doors down.  The murder 4 doors down the other way complete with the perp setting the house on fire to hide the body(didn't work) was a great educational tool *eyeroll* They qualifiwed for free fine arts program though and took music lessons, art lessons, drama etc all for free based on the neighborhood we lived in(we were on the last street of the boundary for that program)

Where we live now, my kids can play pretty much anywhere without much issue other than a few bullies, no gangs etc though. In the summer they can go 1 street up to the telephone museum which is neat.  We can head to the next town over that has a provincial park right in it and go trout fishing, explore the trails, canoe in the river etc, we love it there.  They can walk all over that town too without issue. 

Beyond that, the old place we lived was a typical city with lots to do, this is a tiny rural town with the typical nothing to do lol