Menu

How does a non-knitter teach kids to knit?

SKL

Sister-in-law gave my kids knitting supplies for Christmas.  Believe it or not, this was *my* suggestion, as they are always fascinated watching SIL knit when we see each other at family get-togethers.  She once promised them that she'd teach them to knit after they were 6.  So now they are 7 and it's time to get started.  Unfortunately, she only sees them a few times a year, and it's always amidst chaos.  So I'm thinking I should probably get them started at home.

Thing is, I have never learned to knit, not even one stitch.

So how does one get started with this?

Another vote for YouTube. While I haven't taught DD to knit, she has spent a ton of time on Youtube learning all kinds of Rainbow Loom bracelets. The tutorials are great. She can pause, rewind and watch tricky bits again, and go at her own pace. We've done the Youtube videos together (and I feel like I'm a really cool mom when I do this with her), and she's done it independently. Both with great results.

I understand where you're coming from.  My oldest wants to sew.  I bought her a sewing kit for Christmas, her granny gave her a kid-sized sewing machine.  We have books.  But I'm still somewhat at a loss with what to DO.

My solution?  Learn with them! :)  It might be fun.

Knitting forums are helpful; so is Youtube.  That said, I'm a self-taught knitter and I learned mostly from books.  Go to the library and check out every book on knitting.  Compare how each wants you to get started (casting on, etc).  Find the book/option that feels best for you (there are different directions, styles, etc).  

One book I really liked (that is aimed toward kids) is Kids Knitting:  Projects for Kids of All Ages (Melanie Falick).  Very easy to follow, moves along quickly and has fun projects.

I would just enroll them in a knitting class. I knit a lot and I taught some basics to my 8-year old daughter, but I took her to a local yarn shop for lessons and she took off very quickly. It is much easier to have someone teach you in person and help you manipulate the yarn.

I just enrolled her in sewing classes even though I sew and she has learned so much already. 

I understand where you're coming from.  My oldest wants to sew.  I bought her a sewing kit for Christmas, her granny gave her a kid-sized sewing machine.  We have books.  But I'm still somewhat at a loss with what to DO.

This blog might be helpful. It has links to some pretty cool sewing pages and projects.