Menu

Disney World help needed please

We are thinking of going to Disney World. I have heard talk on these boards about the free meal plan. When does Disney offer this?

Where do you like to stay when you go to Disney? Not expensive please. My dh and I went to DW in 1995 and we have 2 days left on our park hopper passes. How do I get those credited to new passes and how much will they give us for our remaining days?

Any tips or useful info anyone has would be great! :)

We just got back from a trip to Disney World. We had a fantastic time. I'll try to answer your questions.

The meal plan isn't free now. It is sometimes free as a perk for going in the middle of October. It is a very very slow time and they are trying to get people to come then. Otherwise the meal plan is $38 for people over 10 and $12 for people under 10 and you need to do it for your whole group and whole stay. We used the meal plan this time, but it was inconvenient at best. I wanted to play more and not worry about getting to the restaurant on time. You get one table service, one counter service and one snack per person per day.

We stayed at Wilderness Lodge because we rented a friend's DVC points and got a great deal. If you are looking for inexpensive this isn't the place. I would suggest trying one of the All-Star resorts for the least money or Port Orleans for the next step up. The biggest advantage for Port Orleans is the fact there is a restaurant at the hotel. The All Stars only have a food court. If you are on the meal plan then that restaurant is important.

About the park hoppers, you might have needed to pay a fee back in 1995 if the days are still good on them, then you can just use them in the parks. Otherwise there is no way to get the old days on the new cards. When we left there was still one day left on our tickets, we could have paid a huge sum (like $150 per person) to make it last forever and we could use it on our next visit or we could let it expire. We let it expire.

I hope that helps. Ask more questions if you have them!

Jenne in AZ

(dd9, ds7, ds3)

We went in December. I got on the http://www.mousesavers.com/ email list a few months before going. This site has tons of info to go cheaper.

We decided to stay off site in a condo so we could do breakfast/dinner there for less money and just eat lunch in the parks(limit of $40 for 2 adults/2 kids).

Compared to friends who stay onsite/get the meal plan/use public transportation....we went way less. over a $1000 less than if we had done it their way.

So consider all your options. My understanding on the unexpired ticket thing is to bring it with you and it's good. I personally would call the WDW 800 # to verify before going. they are very helpful people !

have fun!

Free dining has been offered the past 3 years from sometime in August through September/early October. They haven't announced yet if they'll have it this year (historically, they announce it in April). We've been the past two years in September. We stayed in Pop Century last time, and were very pleased with it. We got two connecting rooms for less than we paid for one room at the Wildnerness Lodge the year before. You can also stay off site and get a good deal, but you can't get the dining plan that way. The disboards (http://www.disboards.com) are a great source--you can find out much more than you ever wanted to know about WDW there.

The Disney meal plan isn't as good as it used to be, no more appetizer and you have to pay the gratuity, and I think I'd prefer another discount. If Disney doesn't do a free meal deal in September they historically have offered some kind of great deal during that time period, in 2003 it was buy 4 nights, stay 3 nights free (including park tickets.) We stay at the Poly usually so that was a great deal for us, better than the free meals we got in 2005 & 2006.

We just returned from Disney yesterday!! The others seemed to have answered your questions about the meal plan and where to stay. We LOVED having the meal plan. Yes, it was a big expense, but it took ALL the worry about food out of our day. I did make reservations for the more popular restaurants (and I'm glad we did - they were some of the BEST nights we had there!), but it was wonderful to be able to eat when we were hungry and not worry about how much it cost.

We stayed at Port Orleans because they have a room that sleeps 5 (well, we technically had 6, but one is under 3, so she still doesn't count!). It was cheaper than the discount resorts because at those, we'd need two roooms. We LOVED this resort. It was like staying at a summer camp - it was wooded and you'd walk through the woods and over bridges to get to the dining hall/restaurant and the bus stops.

We went seven years ago and stayed off property at a condo where we cooked all of our own meals. It was definately cheaper and we had more space. But, I really had a much better experience staying on property and truly "experiencing" Disney. We're currently planning our trip for next January!! (Before the baby turns 3 and we have to pay for her!! LOL)

Enjoy!

We just returned from Disney in Nov.

We used the meal plan which was a GREAT thing. It wasn't free but we were able to split up meals.....note that the kids will probably NOT eat as much as they are given so you could split it into two smaller meals and then you have "bonus" snacks...when you just use the other meal as a split again.

We stayed at the Pop Century. We were able to stay at Disney...3 adults (my 11 yo is considered adult) and 1 child for 4 nights, 5 days and the meal plan for $1100.

Also, you can use your unused tickets. I know you used to just take them up to the entrance gate...I went in 2000 and used tix from the 80s. It was a huge thing there everyone was showing it around since the 80s ticket only had on it Epcot and MK.....

I liked the boards at wdwmagic.com for tips too..they are very helpful on deals and such.

I bought the Unofficial guide to WDW it was incredibly helpful.

HTH,

Alison

We just returned from Disney yesterday!! We're currently planning our trip for next January!! (Before the baby turns 3 and we have to pay for her!! LOL)

Nothing takes away the leaving Disney blues than planning the next trip :D We snuck a trip in before my youngest turned three too, very smart of you. ;)

We loved it and highly recommend taking your kids at least once! We stayed at Fort Wilderness Resort in our RV. If you have one or access to one, Fort Wilderness was awesome. If you can swing it, the cabins are very nice too, and sleep more than the typical resort room. They also have kitchens, letting you cook a little to save on the cost of food.

FW is a very short boat ride to the Magic Kingdom, and a slightly longer, but not out of line, bus ride to the other parks. We were able to come back to rest and eat lunch on most days, only eating lunch in the parks twice. We also planned dinner out twice, and had our own food the rest of the time. There is so much to do in FW in the evening that we ate a quick dinner and enjoyed some of the entertainment in the campground (campfires, marshmallow roasts, sing-alongs, movies, wagon rides, etc.).

We also planned our park visits to take advantage of the Magical Hours (available only to resort guests). There were no lines during these times and we could do the attractions multiple times at once.

The Unofficial Guide, mentioned previously, was a huge help with planning as was Mousesavers and Allears.net. Enjoy your trip!

We took our son there for his tenth birthday. We loved it. We did the meal plan. It was not free. We paid for our entire vacation before we got down there. The meal plan was great because when went 4 years ago, we paid close to $100 for a meal at Chef Mickey's for breakfast. We were only able to afford one character meal. However on the meal plan, our family enjoyed three character meals. We enjoyed breakfast, lunch, or dinner without worrying about paying. Gratuities, taxes, and tips are included. I still have the receipt as my proof. You also get snacks at the park. So, I just gave them my key card and I had ice pops or popcorn for the kids. It was fun. Disney is doing a theme of fulfilling your dreams. Go to the guest relations at the park to see what they might be offering. I hope that you come back with lots of memories.

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

Gratuities, taxes, and tips are included. I still have the receipt as my proof. You also get snacks at the park.

The meal plan changed on January 1, 2008. Tips and appetizers are no longer included with the basic Disney Dining Plan (the one they have given for free.) The Deluxe plan includes an appetizer, but no gratuity. :(

Yes, the dining plan did change. We went ahead with the Deluxe plan because we like our appetizers. But, it was WAYYYY too much food. I felt so bad wasting so much each day. Next time we'll get the basic plan and just eat breakfast in our room.

We ate at many places where the gratuity was included (dinner shows, which count as two dinners) and counter service places. So, our bill on check out wasn't too bad.

Oh - and we were winners in the Year of A Million Dreams thing!! Our first day there, we got Mickey hats handed to us. So, it wasn't a fast pass or a night in the Cinderella castle, but, hey, we were winners!!! LOL

So, Karen - where do you like staying best? We're trying to decide which resort to stay in!!

Gratuities, taxes, and tips are included. I still have the receipt as my proof. Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

Disney has changed it policy. It lowered the cost by a dollar a day but they do not include gratuity. You can read about it at mousesavers.com

http://www.mousesavers.com/mywplusdining2008.html

It can still be a good deal. I am not using it because I can not be sure my food allergice kids will find enough good things to eat.

Melissa - If you think you might want to add the dining plan, please call Disney!! They are just so wonderful about allergies. If there isn't anything on the menu that your kids can eat, they will make something special. My youngest has peanut/tree nut allergies and there were many nights where he couldn't have the dessert. They made him other things and made him feel special. The chef came out and talked with us at every meal and usually sat next to our allergic child and talked directly to him. It was wonderful!! It was the same at the counter service places. We asked about allergies, and they'd bring out the chef. We did find it was easier if we waited until odd times to eat as it did take a few extra minutes to call the chef out.

I had heard how wonderful Disney was about allergies and that was the major reason we had for choosing them. They were wonderful!!!

Have fun!

Oh - and we were winners in the Year of A Million Dreams thing!! Our first day there, we got Mickey hats handed to us. So, it wasn't a fast pass or a night in the Cinderella castle, but, hey, we were winners!!! LOL

So, Karen - where do you like staying best? We're trying to decide which resort to stay in!!

You lucky stiff :p When we went last May we got nuttin'. I mail in a post card a couple of times a week hoping to win a free DVC home. :D We love the Polynesian (sleeps 5), it is absolutely our favorite place. We have also stayed at ASmo (after Deluxe it would be hard to go back :o), FT Wilderness Cabins (sleeps 6, great size, but it took forever to get anywhere when we used Disney transportation), Beach Club (sleeps 5, very nice, great pool, nice to walk to Epcot and DS, but we still missed the Poly.)

Melissa - If you think you might want to add the dining plan, please call Disney!! They are just so wonderful about allergies. If there isn't anything on the menu that your kids can eat, they will make something special.

Same with us, ds14 is allergic to tree nuts and fruit and ds5 is allergic to tree nuts. Disney bends over backwards to help those with allergies and disabilities. When you call to make your dinner reservations they will note it. We are often visited by the chefs to make sure my sons were happy.