Menu

Ikea Sofa

arnold

I don't have a leather one, but I have a fabric covered one, and it's the most brilliant design in the entire world.

The cushions are foam.  And then they have a down slipcover over them that makes them comfy.  And then they have real slipcover over them that you see.  But the brilliance is that the down slipcover part comes off.  And is washable.  And let's just say that I've potty trained 3 kids, and those slipcovers have been washed.  And that I've never had another sofa that was designed like that (usually the cushion is a single stuffed piece that would never fit in a washing machine), and it's BRILLIANT.

FWIW, I bought this sofa at 50% off in the as-is section, and it had been a floor model.  So lord knows how many people have sat on it and kicked it and shoved it and whatever else.  And we've had it for about 3 years now, and my kids mostly use it as a trampoline and to do backflips over the back of it.  And it's still in great condition.

We have one that doesn't sound as amazing as momma2three's, but we like it a lot. I think the one we have is discontinued. We got it for an amazing price for that very reason if I remember right. We've found it to be comfortable and very easy to clean with little ones. Plus, the one we sat on inside Ikea was more comfortable than the one we brought home, which tells me it ages well. 

I don't have a leather one, but I have a fabric covered one, and it's the most brilliant design in the entire world.

The cushions are foam.  And then they have a down slipcover over them that makes them comfy.  And then they have real slipcover over them that you see.  But the brilliance is that the down slipcover part comes off.  And is washable.  And let's just say that I've potty trained 3 kids, and those slipcovers have been washed.  And that I've never had another sofa that was designed like that (usually the cushion is a single stuffed piece that would never fit in a washing machine), and it's BRILLIANT.

FWIW, I bought this sofa at 50% off in the as-is section, and it had been a floor model.  So lord knows how many people have sat on it and kicked it and shoved it and whatever else.  And we've had it for about 3 years now, and my kids mostly use it as a trampoline and to do backflips over the back of it.  And it's still in great condition.

I don't know if I can deal with cloth. We have 2 collies and I hate it when their fur sticks to the furniture. 

The cushions are foam. And then they have a down slipcover over them that makes them comfy. And then they have real slipcover over them that you see. But the brilliance is that the down slipcover part comes off. And is washable. And let's just say that I've potty trained 3 kids, and those slipcovers have been washed. And that I've never had another sofa that was designed like that (usually the cushion is a single stuffed piece that would never fit in a washing machine), and it's BRILLIANT.

FWIW, I bought this sofa at 50% off in the as-is section, and it had been a floor model. So lord knows how many people have sat on it and kicked it and shoved it and whatever else. And we've had it for about 3 years now, and my kids mostly use it as a trampoline and to do backflips over the back of it. And it's still in great condition.

This sofa sounds lovely. Do you know what the name was, and if it is still available?

Make sure you try the sofa out at the Ikea store before you buy it. Some of their sofas are incredibly uncomfortable, and some of their leather sofas have very low backs, which you may not like. Their upholstered furniture can be very hit-and-miss, so you really need to try it out in person.

Personally, I don't think their quality is as good as it used to be -- some of their things are very nice, but there's some real junk mixed in with it -- and that their stuff isn't as much of a bargain as it was in the past. Before you buy a leather sofa from Ikea, you may want to check your local furniture stores and department stores to see their selection and prices.

Make sure you try the sofa out at the Ikea store before you buy it. Some of their sofas are incredibly uncomfortable, and some of their leather sofas have very low backs, which you may not like. Their upholstered furniture can be very hit-and-miss, so you really need to try it out in person.

Personally, I don't think their quality is as good as it used to be -- some of their things are very nice, but there's some real junk mixed in with it -- and that their stuff isn't as much of a bargain as it was in the past. Before you buy a leather sofa from Ikea, you may want to check your local furniture stores and department stores to see their selection and prices.

This is how I've felt lately about IKEA. 

You might be able to get a nicer couch for the same price elsewhere. 

We have ektorp furniture as well. The dog hair sticking to it annoys me, but I paid a small fortune for two leather Lane rocker recliners that was a disaster. I furnished the whole living room for less than those dumb Lane chairs. (We went through 5 replacement chairs before we got 2 that were moderately acceptable and then still had to have one repaired. They then both broke again after the warrantee was expired)

I don't care for Ikea furniture because it is all uncomfortable to me - not enough cushioning on upholstered pieces and the wood pieces seem to be off in height just enough for me to notice. Because of that, I recommend that you only buy one if you can go to a store and sit on it for a while and find it comfortable. I don't recommend ordering online.