Menu

A Sunday Chat

Jean in Newcastle

Almost our entire property is evergreens. We don't have autumn here, with the blink and miss it exception of the fruit trees. :)

No netflix here in Oz, but I'll happily eat popcorn anyway. We eat ours with kelp powder and nutritional yeast.  :drool5:

I wish to stand up for evergreens. People complain that nothing will grow under them, but from what I've read, I have the impression that the evergreen was there because the soil was poor and nothing else wanted to grow there anyway. My best favourite tree was a pine, so I have a soft spot for them. :)

I am totally new to Netflix and am watching The United States of Tara right now. It's definitely not for everyone, but I'm loving it.

We definitely have evergreens in our yard, being in the evergreen state.

No popcorn for me (wish I could still eat it), but occasionally pork rinds or pistachios with a movie or show.

The boys are watching something on Netflix right now that doesn't interest me enough to even consider watching so I don't know what the title is.

I love to watch West Wing, don't know why.

Yes, I have a scotch pine and a blue spruce.

I'm eating chili right now and wishing my feet didn't ache so much from dancing last night. But, I do love to dance so I guess I have to "pay the fiddler".

Another fan of butter and salt on popcorn.  And now I want some.  We don't have netflix, but we do have a Miss Marple from the library I am hoping to watch later.  Agatha Christie DVDs seem to be our go to from the library lately.  We haven't had a lot of time for watching much in the past couple of months, though.

We have quite a few evergreens even though we have a smallish lot.  Yew, several varieties of holly, boxwood, some kind of Japanese shrub that looks like boxwood, fotinia (called red-tips by my neighbor), probably more that I am forgetting.  I actually put boxwood shrubs in pots last summer so I won't have to refill patio pots every year.  There's still some room to add a couple of annuals for color.

Dh says I have to go make dinner...so much for popcorn.   

Rosie, when you say evergreens do you mean spruce and fir and pine or do you mean totally different trees than what I think of?

What does the kelp powder and nutritional yeast taste like?  I've had seaweed on stuff - is it like that?  Sort of salty and . . .  um. . . seaweedy?

I mean Australian natives! We live in box ironbark country. I don't know how to imbed a link from google images, but if you type 'box ironbark' in, you should see some nice examples.

My favourite pine tree was a slash pine. They are pretty common as they are used for plantations.

Kelp powder on popcorn is nicely salty unless you put too much, then it is kind of dust flavoured. Hmm. That doesn't sound appealing, does it. But really, it is nice if you don't put too much! The nutritional yeast adds a sort of butteriness, kind of. Anyway. I like it. :p And my small boy who believes himself allergic to green vegetables likes it too. *evil mamma laugh*

I like popcorn with melted butter, a dash of parmesan cheese, a big sprinkling of nutritional yeast, and then a dash each of some of my favorite herbs--usually basil, majoram, oregano, etc.

Netflix--the last series I enjoyed was The West Wing. Other favorites have been Stargate Atlantis, Eureka, and Doctor Who. Looking for something new to start so this thread is perfect.

I have evergreen hedges in front of my house.

Hi Jean!

Well, as for popcorn..... I love Carmel corn with peanuts. We don't do Netflix, but we have Amazon Prime. I was hooked on Alias for a while (never watched it when it aired, but was always fascinated by it, I quit after the third season... It got waaaay too intense for me, though I've always wanted to be a spy and I love Jennifer Garner) and now I'm hooked on Suits.

Evergreens - yes. We have some evergreen shrubs. Nandina, Rosemary, mugo pines, and a couple others I forget their names.

You're all so fancy with your popcorn! I just like salt and butter. My ten year old likes taco seasoning on his, though. 

Netflix... when I go to recommendations, it's all animated. :) Dr. Who is my favorite. Otherwise I go to PBS (I get it through Apple TV without cable) and watch Sherlock or Downton Abbey. Also The Mindy Project, which is decidedly un-Christian sometimes but I find it hilarious. And documentaries of any kind. 

We have trees in our yard but none are evergreen. I don't know what they are because I didn't grow up here so nothing is familiar. 

I am totally new to Netflix and am watching The United States of Tara right now. It's definitely not for everyone, but I'm loving it.

We definitely have evergreens in our yard, being in the evergreen state.

No popcorn for me (wish I could still eat it), but occasionally pork rinds or pistachios with a movie or show.

I soon should be getting season 2 of the united states of Tara from the library.

One little evergreen on our front yard.

Popcorn with butter.

I worked at a movie theater in high school. I am not a popcorn fan. However, at a soccer tournament this fall (in Harpeth, TN) I had some amazing kettle corn.

We don't have netflix. We are probably the only family in suburban Atlanta that doesn't. But I own all of the seasons of the West Wing. Does that count?

We have long needle pines in our yard. Well, we did when we left for Florida last Tuesday. We have had two ice storms since then, so I am hoping they are still standing.

Hi everyone. Come on over for a virtual popcorn and Netflix fest.

What do you like on or with your popcorn?

What are your favorite Netflix shows or movies?

Today's totally random question: Do you have any evergreens in your yard?

AMDG

We're getting ready to watch a couple of Perry Mason episodes on tv.com so that'll have to do. I ♡ Lt. Tragg!

My daughter and I LOVE popcorn with olive oil and zaatar.

We recently got rid of netflix.

We have one evergreen but not the typical. We have a magnolia. The neighbor has a pine, though, and it's quite close to us.

AMDG

We're getting ready to watch a couple of Perry Mason episodes on tv.com so that'll have to do. I ♡ Lt. Tragg!

We have one evergreen but not the typical. We have a magnolia. The neighbor has a pine, though, and it's quite close to us.

I love Perry!

OK - what is zaatar?

AMDG

I love Perry!

OK - what is zaatar?

I love Perry!

OK - what is zaatar?

AMDG

mmmmmm! I think it's actually Za'atar but it's ground sumac berries and is used a lot in middle eastern dishes. It can also be a blens of sumac and sesame seeds and herbs. We use straight sumac.

It's a deep red/mahogany color and tastes a wee bit tart/lemony/woody with a hint of saltiness.

Num num!

Hello!

I like my popcorn pretty much plain, sometimes with a little salt. (I know, I'm weird. My family tells me this all the time.)

My favorite movies on Netflix are mostly documentaries. I love First Position, for example, and a few of the other dance documentaries. My daughter and I also enjoy watching assorted cheesy made-for-TV romantic comedies, especially the ABC Family holiday-themed ones.

I watch a lot of TV series on Netflix, too. Favorites include Weeds (not for the very conservative or faint of heart), 30 Rock, New Girl, Greek, Vampire Diaries, Roswell. (My daughter likes to tease me by saying I'm really a 17-year-old girl at heart.) At the moment, though, I'm re-watching Veronica Mars on Amazon (because it's no longer on Netflix) in preparation for the upcoming movie(!).

Honestly, I don't know what kinds of trees we have in the yard. We rent and did not do the planting. And, since we live in central Florida, there are a lot of things that are green pretty much all year. I'm afraid botany just isn't my area of expertise. :001_rolleyes:

Grocery shopping today DH bought the kids a bag of ballons. 

Eldest just ran down the stairs, "Can I set my balloon on fire." Dh said, "Sure." I then suggested he go up and help them. 

Oh the things are bathtub gets used for. 

I just heard Dh say something about, "Shall we do it with or without water inside?"

Hi everyone.  Come on over for a virtual popcorn and Netflix fest.

What do you like on or with your popcorn?

What are your favorite Netflix shows or movies?

Today's totally random question:  Do you have any evergreens in your yard?

I like old fashioned popcorn...butter and salt.

We are currently watching Cake Boss as our family show.  We watch it during dinner.  After the littles go to bed, the bigs and adults are watching Supernatural.

Not only do I have evergreens in my yard, they are all over my grass and cement and roof right now.  All this wind has them dropping branches right now. 

Well, I'm late to the party but I'll chime in anyway.

I like my popcorn cooked in lots of coconut oil and topped with nutritional yeast and tamari.

No evergreens but other trees.

Netflix is hit and miss here but our next movie on Amazon Prime is from the 40's called 'I Know Where I'm Going'

Well, I'm late to the party but I'll chime in anyway.

I like my popcorn cooked in lots of coconut oil and topped with nutritional yeast and tamari.

No evergreens but other trees.

Netflix is hit and miss here but our next movie on Amazon Prime is from the 40's called 'I Know Where I'm Going'

Tamari?  Like soysauce?  Do you splash the liquid on the popcorn?  

Missed this yesterday.

I love popcorn in almost any incarnation.

Netlfix these days..

Season 7 of Burn Notice (jut came on)

Chuck (new family favorite)

last season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer with the girls

Supernatural season 7 with dd and her boyfriend

Evergreens, yes, some beautiful white pine as well as the scrubby stuff so typical of Cape Cod.

I like my popcorn made on the stove with oil, and then just add a bit of salt. It doesn't need butter if you make it that way. 

We don't have Netflix, but I borrowed an HBO show called Family Tree. It's by Christopher Guest (Best of Show, A Mighty Wind) and is that kind of slightly crazy character piece about a guy (Chris O'Dowd) who's researching his family history after a great aunt leaves him a trunk full of family momentos in her will. It's okay. 

I live in paper country so we have a lot of evergreens. Our yard has more than 2 dozen arbor vitae (Northern White Cedar) and we have a large White Spruce. I took out all the Juniper a few years ago. That's all the oak trees will allow in. Our neighbors have Norway (red) Pines and I like the look of them. I wouldn't have to walk far to see white pines, balsam fir, etc. The balsam is really pretty. 

I was sitting here bludging, wondering if I was ever going to get hungry enough to get up and try it. The boy woke up about one minute after the flies finally stopped circling my head last night so I'm lazily eating peanut M&Ms because cooking popcorn seems too hard. You know, I might have to stand up for 5 whole minutes. 

This forum needs a zombie smilie. zombie.gif

Cool!  I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to try sumac.  I'm much braver with weird Asian stuff than I am with weird European stuff.  

It's kind of lemony and neither weird nor European. :)

Wish you could take me shopping at an Asian shop. I can't even recognise half the weird stuff in there.