Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW8

Robin M

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not finished catching up reading the thread but I am exhaustd and need to be able to findthis weeks thread easily tomorrow to continue reading and post my books. I had a lovely week with my family but travel out of the Great Lakes was a nightmare today. I can't even describe how fortunate I feel to be back with dh and the kids. I have spent more time on runways then in the air.....

(Since I have that option, my biggest roadblock is that there is a limit to the number of holds you can request at one time. LOL. My list is usually at the limit all the time.)

I've been known to max out the number of requests on two library cards.  My husband jokes that he is glad I max out library cards rather than credit cards!

I had a very enjoyable time last night at my new book group.  This was our first actual discuss the book meeting as opposed to our initial planning session.  We discussed Cutting for Stone, had a pot luck dinner, and chatted as well.  All told it was a fine evening!

Regards,

Kareni

I saw the movie of The Remains of the Day when it first came out.  I hadn't  read the book so it was just an okay movie for me.   I just ordered it from the library  because I want to see it now that I have read the book.

I love that movie. Anthony and Emma together are fabulous. Both are favorites of mine.

I have not read the book.

I finally finished The Demon Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark, by Carl Sagan and I really had to force myself to finish it. I really wanted to like it but I didn't. I liked parts of it, but that's all. It got quite political in about the last 1/4 and even though they were politics I agree with, I just wasn't expecting that. It was disappointing.

Does your library let you have a wish list? When I don't think I'll have time to read, but want to keep a book title for future reading, I add it to my wish list on the library website.

Hm, that book is on my TBR list. I usually like that same books as you. I think I'll read it anyway.

Also, beware of the library wishlist! Twice, TWICE! I've lost my wishlist under my library account. The first time was my error. I clicked "delete list" instead of "delete item" and poof gone.

The second time was not my doing. I'm still very angry about it. My library converted to a new software system. Everyone now has new user IDs and passwords. You can't create your own username and password like you could before. Now it is assigned. My wishlist, which I had categorized by subject for myself and my kids, is gone. Just gone. Now explanation, no warning, no apology....just gone. Apparently, whoever did the switch didn't bother to move all data over.

I asked my dh (who is a DBA and moves data for his job) if this was normal. He said he'd get fired if he neglected to move such large amounts of information. I'm still angry. :cursing:  

ETA: I now keep my wishlist of TBR books on Amazon.

BaW friends, eaglei, her son, & her family need your urgent prayers & thoughts:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/498232-urgent-prayer-request-for-ds/?p=5497367

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: , eaglei.

P.S. For everyone else, if you are not already on the bone marrow registry list & are interested in it: http://bethematch.org/

Thanks for putting the link here!  

Eaglei, will continue to pray for your son and your family  :grouphug:

I just finished J.D. Robb's latest installment in her In Death Series - Concealed in Death.  As always, once I started reading, couldn't put it down.   Eve is trying to solve the murder of 12 homeless kids between the ages of 12 - 14. Their bones were found hidden behind false walls in a closed shelter.  As each one was identified and a forensic artist provided faces to go with each one, Eve is left with the task of having to notify the families. The beginning is different in that it isn't a death scene or the voice of Eve, we hear, but Roark's which sets an entirely different tone for the story. . The death of children is always a difficult subject and I can see why some folks had a hard time with the story.  And there wasn't too much excitement, compared to the prior story, Thankless in Death, in which the reader got blasted entirely too much with the horrific thoughts of the killer.   All the characters we love were involved, and learned more about Mavis's background, prior to meeting Eve. Plus a new character is introduced - forensic anthropologist, Garnet DeWinter.  It was more a straight forward police procedural and the ending a bit anticlimactic, both for Eve and the reader, as she was left not entirely satisfied, even though she caught the killer.   I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'm almost there, I'm almost up to date on the Sigma Force Novels by James Rollins.  Yesterday I finished Bloodline.  I'm slightly sidetracked right now with Subterranean, one of his individual titles, but I have downloaded The Eye of God to my kindle!

Overall I find myself at a loss right now when it comes to reading.  I'm having trouble with my eyes and don't want to waste my reading time on junk.  I'm also about out of my usual authors and haven't come across anything new of real interest.  I guess it's time to go back to old BW threads and start searching.  :auto:

Since you liked Rollins, Check out Ben Coes, or Steve Berry. Have read both of them and have a couple more of their books on my shelves.

Does your library let you have a wish list? When I don't think I'll have time to read, but want to keep a book title for future reading, I add it to my wish list on the library website.

I just checked and they don't have a wish list but there is a button called "keep". I just tried it and I think it will "keep" a running list for me. Thanks

Hm, that book is on my TBR list. I usually like that same books as you. I think I'll read it anyway.

Also, beware of the library wishlist! Twice, TWICE! I've lost my wishlist under my library account. The first time was my error. I clicked "delete list" instead of "delete item" and poof gone.

You might still like The Demon Haunted World. According to Goodreads I started reading it back in October. I found it very easy to put down for long periods at a time. I suppose I thought there would be a variety of "demons" but it was mostly about aliens. After a while I realized that makes sense. Since Sagan was an astronomer, he probably came into contact with a lot of people who believed in aliens (he doesn't claim we're alone in the universe - just refutes the alien stories/abductions we've heard about). It wasn't terrible; I think my expectations were probably a bit off. The political parts discuss how science is treated in schools and the lack of financial support from the U.S. government for scientific research. As I said in my previous post, not anything I disagree with, just not what I expected of this book. So now that you know, you can go into it with different expectations than I had. :)

As for wish lists, I thought about you after I posted that. I use Amazon as well, and even use it for books I want to research a bit more to see if they might interest me.

Cuckoo's Calling is not easy to get into.

That's what dh said. He's been trying to get into it for a few weeks now and is finding it to be a slog. I, OTOH, found it an easy read. It reminded me of the old style hard boiled detective novels, and I thought that was kind of fun. I really enjoyed it. 

I just finished J.D. Robb's latest installment in her In Death Series - Concealed in Death.  As always, once I started reading, couldn't put it down.   Eve is trying to solve the murder of 12 homeless kids between the ages of 12 - 14. Their bones were found hidden behind false walls in a closed shelter.  As each one was identified and a forensic artist provided faces to go with each one, Eve is left with the task of having to notify the families. The beginning is different in that it isn't a death scene or the voice of Eve, we hear, but Roark's which sets an entirely different tone for the story. . The death of children is always a difficult subject and I can see why some folks had a hard time with the story.  And there wasn't too much excitement, compared to the prior story, Thankless in Death, in which the reader got blasted entirely too much with the horrific thoughts of the killer.   All the characters we love were involved, and learned more about Mavis's background, prior to meeting Eve. Plus a new character is introduced - forensic anthropologist, Garnet DeWinter.  It was more a straight forward police procedural and the ending a bit anticlimactic, both for Eve and the reader, as she was left not entirely satisfied, even though she caught the killer.   I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'm 10% in but something is up with this book, the language is different.  

An example: "I have to tag up my wife."  This is Roarke?!?  It just seems weird to me.

I seem to be a little link happy this week. I'll restrain myself next week but to wrap up the link madness here are two more fascinating articles. Both focus on women and creativity so for those who are rankled by such gender-specific foci feel free to compost.

The first is an interesting article on Anais Nin's diary-keeping. And the second relates to the first in that the founder (and writer) of the wonderful (linked) site, Brain Pickings, collaborated with an artist to produce a year long project called The Reconstructionists.

In their words...The Reconstructionists, a collaboration between illustrator Lisa Congdon and writer Maria Popova, is a yearlong celebration of remarkable women — beloved artists, writers, and scientists, as well as notable unsung heroes — who have changed the way we define ourselves as a culture and live our lives as individuals of any gender.

I'm 10% in but something is up with this book, the language is different.  

An example: "I have to tag up my wife."  This is Roarke?!?  It just seems weird to me.

There was definitely a different tone to it.   I had such a hard time reading Thankless in death with its graphic violence that this one was tame in comparison.  That what might be we are noticing.  This book, for an extremely emotional subject, it's not that emotional, if you get what I mean. 

And yes there were some weird parts and bad edits which everyone is discussing on her blog.

I'm not going to finish a book this week  :glare: I have just been super busy and falling into bed almost asleep on my feet. Sigh.  Well, at least I'm 2 ahead.  My update ... I'm on Canto XII of Dante.  I would rather read Dante without the notes, however, not knowing anything about Dante going in I feel the need to read the notes.  I think it breaks up the flow and the language for me a bit.  Maybe it would be better if the notes were on one page and the reading on the other, like the Folger's editions of Shakespeare.  Then I could only read those notes that I felt I needed.  

Just got back from a short, unplugged, vacation.  Took a stack of books to finish up.

12. "Code Name Verity" by Elizabeth Wein.  Thanks to the PPs who recommended this.

11. "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card.  Saw the movie with DH, had to read the book.

10. "With Healing in His Wings" ed. by Camille Fronk Olson & Thomas A. Wayment (LDS).

9. "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" by J.K. Rowling. (Read-aloud)

8. "The Good Knight" by Sarah Woodbury.
7. "Speaking From Among the Bones" by Alan Bradley.
6. "The Continuous Conversion" by Brad Wilcox (LDS).
5. "The Continuous Atonement" by Brad Wilcox (LDS).
4. "Finding Hope" by S. Michael Wilcox (LDS).
3. "When Your Prayers Seem Unanswered" by S. Michael Wilcox (LDS).
2. "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" by J.K. Rowling. (Read-aloud)
1. "The Peacegiver: How Christ Offers to Heal Our Hearts and Homes" by James L. Ferrell (LDS).

It was a tough year for us last year (steadily worsening mental health issues in DH and DS), and it doesn't look to be over yet, so at least for the beginning of the year, I'll be reading not so much for intellectual challenge or entertainment, but more for, um, I don't know, emotional and spiritual recentering. I don't know what else to call it. Also for information needed to understand what's going on. I don't plan to sum up what I'm reading for a while, just list the title and author, and since many will probably be by authors from my faith (LDS), I'll put that in parenthesis when it applies as well.

I finally have my scribbles organized enough to post what I read last week. I had a week without internet reading pretty fluffy books.

About the Baby by Tracy Wolff -- parts were set in Eritrea, who would have ever guessed that I would end up with that country for my geography challege! :)

Iron Kissed by Patricia Briggs -- pretty good but officially tired of that series for a few weeks.

Everywhere She Goes and All a Man is by Janice Kay Johnson -- this is an enjoyable romance author imo.

The Bridge by Carol Ericson -- the first in the Brody Law series, I think Kareni would enjoy these. I will be watching for more.

The Whole Enchilada by Diane Mott Davidson -- I have read the whole series and really enjoyed the surprise ending for this one.

Key Witness by Christy Barritt

In this Together by Kara Lennox

My Hero by Debbie Macomber -- potentially a fun read for any aspiring romance authors.

The Christmas Bride by Penny Jordan -- a favorite romance author of mine. Her books are always nice.

A frozen Fire by Charlotte Lamb -- really good. She was an author I loved in my teens, When I read it I knew why.

A Man to believe In by Kathleen Pickering

I've fallen behind in conversation here!  I am really struggling to finish The Hero of Ages.  I really don't want to, but I'm sooooo close. Hyperbole and a Half was hilarious.  I love her blog, but I'm so glad I bought the book.  

1. Fool Moon by Jim Butcher
2. Grave Peril by Jim Butcher
3. Death. Masks by Jim Butcher
4. Blood Rites by Jim Butcher
5. French Kids Eat Everything by Karen Le Billon
6. Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman 

7. Dead Beat by Jim Butcher

8. Proven Guilty

9. Teaching Children Compassionately

10. Hyperbole and a Half

Hello friends!  Well, I finally finished my first book for February...  :leaving:  (Abandoning The Goldfinch 100 pages in didn't help!)

I completed Wuthering Heights last night.  It's a rather odd story, isn't it?  I enjoyed it though, for what it was worth.

Still reading That Crumpled Paper was Due Last Week as well as The Happiness Project.  I'm also going to re-read the last Hannah Swensen book by Joanne Fluke, and then the new one which is coming out in a couple days. 

Hello friends!  Well, I finally finished my first book for February...  :leaving:  (Abandoning The Goldfinch 100 pages in didn't help!)

I completed Wuthering Heights last night.  It's a rather odd story, isn't it?  I enjoyed it though, for what it was worth.

Still reading That Crumpled Paper was Due Last Week as well as The Happiness Project.  I'm also going to re-read the last Hannah Swensen book by Joanne Fluke, and then the new one which is coming out in a couple days. 

I never finished That Crumpled Paper was Due Last Week.  It's in my current Non-fiction "to read" pile. LMK what you think of it!  I'm reading Happier at Home right now, too. I should have read The Happiness Project first, though.  She references it a lot in this book. 

I've read The Happiness Project before, a few years back... I do remember enjoying it the first time around and am this time as well.  I'll probably read Happier at Home at some point too.... although I have heard from a few people that they didn't enjoy it as much as her first book, not sure why.