Menu

Ok, a very serious question. What...

PeterPan

appetizers do you like at parties?   :drool5:    I'm thinking I'll do a tier of chocolate brownies and lemon brownies.  Then I want something  salty/savory.  Needs to go well with the brownies and be something easy to prep, not fussy.  It's in the evening, all adults, and served with coffee, tea, and water.  We're not hip, but I'm thinking a step up from pigs in a blanket.   :thumbup1:

Any ideas?  One friend just said to put out a bowl of mixed nuts.  Is that boring?  Another said pigs in a blanket, and well I think I vetoed that.  Deer sausage and cheese would be pretty normal around here, but I'm not in the mood.  Dd suggested cheese ball, but I don't think that's good with brownies.  Maybe some kind of rolled sandwich wrap things?  Quiches?  I don't want to use forks, just something they can pick up with their fingers and chomp.  

What do you suggest?  

Mini quiches. I love those things. A spinach one and one with meat, preferably bacon. Maybe one that is plain cheese too. Also sliced fruit and cheese would go well with the brownies. Definitely not just a bowl of mixed nuts, that would absolutely be boring. I may be biased though, appetizers are my favorite food group. :drool5:

You can make fancy nuts. :) These are really good. You can use any kind(s) of nuts you like: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/rosemary-roasted-cashews-recipe.html#!

The bacon-date things always disappear. Caprese skewers are yummy. Spanakopita (Costco's frozen are good). I always make spinach dip (Knorr vegetable soup mix package recipe and people always ask and are surprised), served with crudités and pita chips. Barefoot Contessa's onion dip is really good. She serves that at parties with the nuts and fancy chips. I caramelize onions in the crock pot if I'm going to be distracted. Make a bunch and freeze the extra.

Ooo, I like all these ideas!  Good point that I can pick something and then do flavors of it (types of quiche, etc.) for variety on one tray. 

You can make fancy nuts. :) These are really good. You can use any kind(s) of nuts you like: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/rosemary-roasted-cashews-recipe.html#!

The bacon-date things always disappear. Caprese skewers are yummy. Spanakopita (Costco's frozen are good). I always make spinach dip (Knorr vegetable soup mix package recipe and people always ask and are surprised), served with crudités and pita chips. Barefoot Contessa's onion dip is really good. She serves that at parties with the nuts and fancy chips. I caramelize onions in the crock pot if I'm going to be distracted. Make a bunch and freeze the extra.

Ok, I had totally forgotten about veges and dip.  Definitely need to give that serious consideration.  Yum, love spanakopita!  

So here, would this be overkill?

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/sassy-tailgate-sandwiches-120156.aspx   It's these small ham sandwiches you make on hawaiian rolls and spread and douse and bake.  I have this horrible feeling I'm developing a NEED for them.  Ok, I'm just susceptible to ads and they were on the page when I was looking at Ina Garten's chipotle nuts.   :lol: 

I am well known for bringing my buffalo dip and chips and/or celery sticks.

Last night I didn't have enough cream cheese for our potluck so I took something else.  Oh my word!  I had so many people coming up and asking me where my dip was!

Anyway, it is SO easy:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Buffalo-Chicken-Dip/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Thumb&e11=buffalo%20dip&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page&soid=sr_results_p1i1

You could do tortilla pinwheels.

I do a taco one----cream cheese, refried beans, taco seasoning mixed together and spread on flour tortillas.  Sprinkle with finely shredded cheese, Roll up.  Chill, Cut into pinwheels.

You can do others with deli ham and vegetable cream cheese (with or without green onions)

ANother type is a veggie one where you very finely chop veggies such as carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. Spread the flour tortilla with veggie flavored cream cheese and top with veggies with finely shredded cheese and roll up.  Chill and slide into pinwheels.

Lemon Brownies???

I know, I tried to resist.   :lol:   They've haunted me, and I'm planning the entire evening around them as an excuse to make them.  I have to suffer today and make a trial run.   :drool5:

lemony-lemonies-lemon-brownies.html

And this lady puts a thin cream cheese frosting on hers.  http://theseasidebaker.com/2013/02/24/lemon-brownies/

Ooo, I like all these ideas!  Good point that I can pick something and then do flavors of it (types of quiche, etc.) for variety on one tray. 

Ok, I had totally forgotten about veges and dip.  Definitely need to give that serious consideration.  Yum, love spanakopita!  

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/sassy-tailgate-sandwiches-120156.aspx   It's these small ham sandwiches you make on hawaiian rolls and spread and douse and bake.  I have this horrible feeling I'm developing a NEED for them.  Ok, I'm just susceptible to ads and they were on the page when I was looking at Ina Garten's chipotle nuts.   :lol: 

I don't think it would be overkill- they'd be small finger sandwiches, right? Gruyere is so delicious, I always make my veggie quiche with Gruyere because it's such a flavorful cheese.

I don't think it would be overkill- they'd be small finger sandwiches, right? Gruyere is so delicious, I always make my veggie quiche with Gruyere because it's such a flavorful cheese.

Ooo good, well I think that's the way I'll go then.  They look like something we could make ahead and then pour on and bake at the last minute.  Apparently my dd had them somewhere and liked them.

Now to find some kind of simple nut recipe or something for the people who are low carb and don't want all that bread and decadence...   :lol: 

Ooo good, well I think that's the way I'll go then.  They look like something we could make ahead and then pour on and bake at the last minute.  Apparently my dd had them somewhere and liked them.

Now to find some kind of simple nut recipe or something for the people who are low carb and don't want all that bread and decadence...   :lol: 

Decadence is fine! :)  I am a sucker for smoked salmon and deli cream cheese.  No bread needed, just slather the cream cheese on a bit of salmon, roll, and stick a toothpick through it. You could add a sliver or two of red onion inside ide, but not necessary. ;)  Veggies with a cheesy dip is also simple and good.

Oh Elizabeth, those lemon brownies look amazing, I pinned them!!!

Don't laugh.... whenever I put grapes out, they disappear. If one doesn't want lemon bars, they probably won't eat nuts (both have fat). Queso is a big hit, a can of Ro-tel to a small block of velvetta. I don't know if it goes with the brownies though...

Oh Elizabeth, those lemon brownies look amazing, I pinned them!!!

Don't laugh.... whenever I put grapes out, they disappear. If one doesn't want lemon bars, they probably won't eat nuts (both have fat). Queso is a big hit, a can of Ro-tel to a small block of velvetta. I don't know if it goes with the brownies though...

:svengo:   Grapes?!  Can it be so simple?  You're right, I just wanted a little something for people to have if they didn't get into the heavy sandwiches or rich brownies...  Grapes would be just the thing!  And they come pretty, in colors, and are easy to put out.  Awesomeness.  Thanks!   :D

PS.  Do you like the lemon brownies better with the glaze or the cream cheese?

you know what's simple but looks fancy? Buying those little puff pastry things (in the frozen aisle) and filing them with mushrooms and cheese.

I just started using the puffs. You put them on an ungreased cookie sheet, put in oven on 400 for 20 mins and voila.

I'm like, "where have you been all my life??"

Alley

you know what's simple but looks fancy? Buying those little puff pastry things (in the frozen aisle) and filing them with mushrooms and cheese.

I just started using the puffs. You put them on an ungreased cookie sheet, put in oven on 400 for 20 mins and voila.

I'm like, "where have you been all my life??"

Alley

Which reminded me how much I like stuffed mushrooms. ;)

:svengo: Grapes?! Can it be so simple? You're right, I just wanted a little something for people to have if they didn't get into the heavy sandwiches or rich brownies... Grapes would be just the thing! And they come pretty, in colors, and are easy to put out. Awesomeness. Thanks! :D

PS. Do you like the lemon brownies better with the glaze or the cream cheese?

I've made Paula Deen's orange brownies, which are similar. I prefer them with orange cream cheese frosting versus the glaze.

Deer sausage? I would be polite but scared.

I get together with friends over appetizers weekly.

Chocolate anything always goes well.

Veggies and dip or fresh fruit goes over well for the healthier eaters. I have developed a crush on the greek yogurt jalapeno dip from costco. It is super yummy with cucumber or carrot slices. Hummus is also a hit here.

Cheese, bread, and grapes or apple slices is fairly popular.

If you are near an aldi, their cream puffs from the freezer section are awesome. They take 2 hours to thaw.

Baked brie is good, but it cools quiclly. We had it last week and after an hour, it was gross.

I've made Paula Deen's orange brownies, which are similar. I prefer them with orange cream cheese frosting versus the glaze.

Ahh, then you win, cuz that's what dd said!  :D  Now orange brownies would be different.  So many things!  I'm a sucker for lemon, so we'll do lemon this time.  Yum...

Deer sausage? I would be polite but scared.

Hehe, around here people give it to each other for Christmas.  Now baked brie, that would be scary and get some funny looks.   :lol: 

It's all just what's normal to ya.   :)  Love the ideas though and how fun to have weekly get togethers!  

PS. We love cream puffs!  We're supposed to be keeping it simple.  I'm not even breaking out the chocolate fountain like dh wants me to...

Ooo, I like all these ideas! Good point that I can pick something and then do flavors of it (types of quiche, etc.) for variety on one tray.

Ok, I had totally forgotten about veges and dip. Definitely need to give that serious consideration. Yum, love spanakopita!

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/sassy-tailgate-sandwiches-120156.aspx It's these small ham sandwiches you make on hawaiian rolls and spread and douse and bake. I have this horrible feeling I'm developing a NEED for them. Ok, I'm just susceptible to ads and they were on the page when I was looking at Ina Garten's chipotle nuts. :lol:

if these are the sandwiches I'm thinking of, you do need them. Seriously, *need* them. And everyone else does too. And now I need them.....

You could always make lemon and orange brownies..... really mess with people.

I second stuffed mushrooms or fresh tomatoes with mozzarella and fresh basil or pesto. You could also put those grapes on a stick with some other fruits and do a kabob.

Awesome ideas!!!  IF my tier thing has a 3rd level (I need to check) I'll add a 3rd kind.  Orange?  Or maybe caramel and sea salt?  Priorities!  :D

Ooo, like the idea of kabobs!  That would be festive and easy to do ahead of time.  

if these are the sandwiches I'm thinking of, you do need them. Seriously, *need* them. And everyone else does too. And now I need them.....

Oh my, now you've confirmed it!  I've never had them, but I think I'm gonna enjoy this week, trying these recipes and making sure they're good...  :D

:svengo:   Grapes?!  Can it be so simple?  You're right, I just wanted a little something for people to have if they didn't get into the heavy sandwiches or rich brownies...  Grapes would be just the thing!  And they come pretty, in colors, and are easy to put out.  Awesomeness.  Thanks!   :D

PS.  Do you like the lemon brownies better with the glaze or the cream cheese?

Being that it is me.... I made a hybrid of both!! They are in the frig cooling, I took a sample, YUM!! I made them with the last meyer lemon from our tree, so I got a lot of juice, but could not use the pulp (in frig too long). For the glaze, I took some conf. sugar, put a few tablespoons of juice in, then it was too sweet (meyers are sweeter) so I added some cream cheese, so lemon/cream cheese glaze.  YUM I'm having trouble waiting for them...

Hope your party went well!

Being that it is me.... I made a hybrid of both!! They are in the frig cooling, I took a sample, YUM!! I made them with the last meyer lemon from our tree, so I got a lot of juice, but could not use the pulp (in frig too long). For the glaze, I took some conf. sugar, put a few tablespoons of juice in, then it was too sweet (meyers are sweeter) so I added some cream cheese, so lemon/cream cheese glaze.  YUM I'm having trouble waiting for them...

Well  you're ahead of me!  I've been cleaning and haven't gotten to try the recipe yet!  So did you like it?  :)

Well  you're ahead of me!  I've been cleaning and haven't gotten to try the recipe yet!  So did you like it?   :)

So your party isn't tonight? So far I do like them (only took a small corner), LOVE them, and I am exercising everything in me to not eat them NOW... I really don't think you can mess them up. I did put more lemon juice in since I didn't use rind, and especially since the recipe said they can be dry. 23 min. was definitely it, they won't look done, but pull them out of the oven.

Now I'm on to the even harder question of life: WHICH BROWNIES...   :lol: 

So far, the glaze is soft, gooey, needs a plate and fork. I'll let you know if it hardens, but the recipe says it doesn't. I think the cream cheese recipe is more like a frosting, so if you want it more portable, it may work better.

So far, the glaze is soft, gooey, needs a plate and fork. I'll let you know if it hardens, but the recipe says it doesn't. I think the cream cheese recipe is more like a frosting, so if you want it more portable, it may work better.

Ooo, good point.  Yeah, shindig is next week, so that gives me time to try stuff.  Thanks for the feedback, and I'm glad to hear others like them!  

My favorite is bacon wrapped water chestnuts! But, I like a lot of the other things on this thread too.

Brie covered with pepper jelly, wrapped in puff pastry and baked is another favorite.

Asparagus spears wrapped with bacon. Mmmm. That would go well with chocolate brownies.

Slices of daikon with a dollop of caviar. 

Asparagus spears wrapped with bacon. Mmmm. That would go well with chocolate brownies.

Slices of daikon with a dollop of caviar. 

Now see if we did that asparagus with bacon and the ham sandwiches and the brownies, you'd have a whole meal, hehe.   :drool5: 

You're much more int'l than I realized!  There's never been caviar anywhere near my house.   :lol: