Menu

Latin or Latin roots study

MarigoldHS

We want to study spanish but I understand that there are many  benefits of learning Latin.  I'm not sure if I want to commit to a formal study of two languages.  So I'm thinking about doing a latin/greek roots study and a formal spanish program.  My question is this:  what is the difference in the long run between just doing a latin roots study versus a formal Latin language study?  In other words, what are the benefits of going full throttle with Latin rather than just doing roots?

If there are significant benefits to going full throttle with latin, should I postpone spanish?  My son will be in third grade and was introduced to spanish in school in kindergarten and 1st grade and we have spent a little time on it at home for second grade.

THanks so much! 

I love a full-blown elementary Latin program because it has benefits other than just vocabulary.  The logic and structure of Latin are great for reinforcing English grammar, the memorization of forms builds memory skills, of course the learning of roots and derivatives builds vocab, and the application of all of the above via translation work promotes critical thinking.  I've taught elementary Latin to my own kids, and to many others for several years at co-op.  Latin instruction in elementary made my oldest child's transition to Spanish in Middle and High School a piece of cake.  It has been beneficial to my boys in many of the ways outlined above.  I've also had a bilingual child in one of my classes.  Latin was not difficult for her because of her fluency in both Spanish and English, but it nevertheless taught her much about Latin itself and improved both her Spanish and English grammar skills.

In your situation, I would continue with exposure to Spanish as a spoken language and move into Latin via one of the many elementary Latin curricula available.  The two (Spanish and Latin) will complement each other well.

Or you could just focus more fully on the Spanish.  In that case I'd hold off on Latin/Greek roots until later in elementary or middle school, when the student has a greater vocabulary at his/her disposal with which to make connections to roots alone.