Menu

5th Grade Narrative - Perspective needed

Perogi

My 10yo dd has done Levels 1-3 of WWE and half of level 4. We took a break from that to do Essentials in Writing, intending to do Writing with Skill next year, in grade 6. She is also doing the Creative Writer.

This is her first assignment in EIW. She was instructed to write a narrative about a "last" experience and had a week to revise a different element of the narrative each day.

I am disappointed in the final product. Dh says it's ok. Weigh in please! ;)

The Last Day of 2013

On the last day of 2013, I woke up with a start, sat bolt upright in bed, and realized it was the last day of the old year. I was excited - tomorrow would be a brand new year! How did the year go by? I had a New Year's Eve party to go to that night.

I had to go to school, but I couldn't get my mind off the party or the new year coming. Finally the school day was over and we could eat our dinner. As soon as it was on the table, we gobbled our dinner up.

Then we got in our warm coat and boots quickly.

We slipped and slid across the road to the Blackburns' house and went inside. It was so warm! "Thanks for coming!" they said.

Throughout the night we ate delicious snacks, watched beautiful fireworks and firecrackers, and stayed up really late.

Thanks for the feedback. I really don't know how to judge her writing, relative to what she should be able to do at this level. I was hoping for more, but dh always says my expectations are too high. The nearer she gets to high school the more worried I get about the instruction I'm providing her with.

Very encouraging, thank you. I honestly thought she should have more description and further details. I will try to relax and just slowly build from here. It's so hard to know with writing!! And somehow the public schools make it seem like their students are incredibly capable writers....